CPU and Motherboard Upgrade to Rig

Budget (including currency): 500 USD (Cheaper is better)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Games/VR (Quest 2 over Virtual Desktop and/or Link)

Other details

Current Rig:
CPU: Core I5-9400f

COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition

RAM: Vengeance LPX 16GB (8x2) 3000MHz

GPU: ASUS RTX 2060 (Single Fan)

CASE: NZXT H510 Elite

STORAGE: Western Digital Blue (1TB) & Samsung Evo 860 (500GB)

POWER SUPPLY: Generic 450W power supply

I want to upgrade to the Core i5-11600k with the MSI Z590 Pro WiFi motherboard for around $500 USD to get both. Is there a better/cheaper option for a motherboard + CPU upgrade that I am not aware of? As far as I know, I won't have any clearance issues or compatibility issues between chipsets but I lack the knowledge of if there is a better combo out there that would get me the best gaming performance. I also think I should probably upgrade the power supply since the TDP for the 11600k is substantially higher as far as I know. I want to keep under $500 USD if possible but I am not opposed to stretching a little bit more if it means a noticeable difference in terms of experience or performance. Thank you in advance for your support!

4 minutes ago, Magewood115 said:

is there a better/cheaper option for a motherboard + CPU upgrade that I am not aware of?

There's one, not upgrading at all. 9400F is still a very decent CPU for gaming, and youre not gonna gain much more in VR, as a GPU upgrade is way more impactful in VR context. Get an upgrade on your PSU and save more allowances to get something like a 3070 and used 9600K when we all return to sanity.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

If you are getting a 3070 then you need power supply upto 550watts with same parts of you current rig

16 hours ago, SorryClaire said:

There's one, not upgrading at all. 9400F is still a very decent CPU for gaming, and youre not gonna gain much more in VR, as a GPU upgrade is way more impactful in VR context. Get an upgrade on your PSU and save more allowances to get something like a 3070 and used 9600K when we all return to sanity.

I'm not really too terribly worried about my current performance except for some issues I started having on my USB ports after a recent case transplant that I haven't been able to resolve. I managed to secure a 3080 at msrp which made me want to weep tbh and just wanted to upgrade to potentially resolve those USB issues. I got promoted so I've finally got some more cash flow for completely irresponsible tech purchases and felt like a new toy 😄