Woutmans

Hi everyone, 

System specs: 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X with PBO enabled

MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WIFI

16GB GSkill Trident Z 3200MHz

MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X

1TB Samsung SSD

I am having an issue where my screens turn black all of a sudden and the fans of the GPU start spinning at max speed.

I can still hear sound coming from the speaker, for example.people talking in discord. I can also hear the game crashing in the background, with the windows error sound. 

This means that the PC is still running, even though I have completely no video-output and the GPU fans are spinning at max speed. 

I've had this issue before when using my old CPU + MOBO, and since I upgraded the PSU the problem was solved. I have now upgraded the CPU + MOBO, been using it for over a month and all of a sudden having these issues. 

Things I have done to solve the issue: 

- I have bought a new PSU (Seasonic 750W Gold)

- With the new CPU + MOBO, reinstalled windows with new drivers

- I have updated GPU drivers, updated Windows 10 to latest version, updated the BIOS to latest version

Since everything is still running, except the video-output, I reckon it is a GPU problem. I still feel like it is weird, since I am using the GPU for over a year now without any issues and this all of a sudden happens now. 

By the way, the issue happens mostly when gaming. I have to flip the switch on the PSU and then restart the system. Sometimes, it then also happens when booting into Windows. 

Does anyone have an idea what to do? 

Thanks in advance. 

That MSI card needs to be RMA'd. Hopefully you have a good warranty on it. 

Well I guess so. Strangely, when I'm lucky, I can have a gaming session of up to an hour without any problems. But for the last two days, it caused more pain than game...

No display and fans pinned at 100% signifies that the graphics card has died. You will need to RMA it. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

I think there's more to it than just the gpu. I've had my zotac gtx 1070 8gb since 2017. Upgraded from I7 2600 (yes, sandy bridge, that old) to the exact same cpu mobo combo: 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X also with PBO enabled 

As of yesterday, it began showing the exact same symptoms. The more I tried rebooting the more the sensitive it was going to black, like it was a temp issue, though hwinfo didn't show any unusual high numbers prior to going black and having to reboot. Updated drivers (geforce and windows), swapped power connectors, reseated gpu multiple times, cleaned and replied thermal paste (now Kryonaut) (tp can try out) none of them changed anything. My psu is an corsair AX 860 platinum, it did swing from 12.05 to 11.90v (using hwinfo) though it has never acted out before. The reason why I think its not the gpu that is causing it is because also had a gt 560 laying around. Its showing the same symptoms of instability as if the combo might affect the gpu. This is just my observation, it might be an edge case because of the large amount of variables. But its frustrating not being able to work nor game due to this. If anyone experience the same issue please let me know. 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x32 (64gb) 3600MHz

Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2tb

Corsair AX 860

Zotac GTX 1070 8gb

Corsair H80i

@Woutmans I think I found what's have happened and why. I'll do a write-up tomorrow when I have the time.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X

Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2tb

Corsair AX 860

Zotac GTX 1070 8gb

Corsair H80i

This is on the psu side of the 24 pin connector... 😢 caused by over-voltage? 

DSC_0127.JPG

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X

Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2tb

Corsair AX 860

Zotac GTX 1070 8gb

Corsair H80i