How much money should i be spending on ram/memory

I was looking through some websites on good memory and i was noticing they were 100 us$ and up. Can you help me with the sweet spot for buying ram. Also i am going to play games like minecraft rocket league overwatch valorant and stuff like that

3000 MHz or 3200 MHz for DDR4, CAS latency between 16 and 18, select the amount of RAM you are aiming for. I'd go for 2 sticks of 8GB each, for a total of 16GB. 

Sort my lowest price, and get something that doesn't look downright hideous (anything without a heat spreader). If your case has clear side panels, visuals are a little important, but if you have side panels you can't see through, then you don't actually need heat spreaders. (Keyword is need, for price, you can get low quality memory for cheap without a heatspreader, but even low to medium quality tend to come with a cheap heat spreader, and they tend to not look bad)

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

6 minutes ago, Burrand said:

I was looking through some websites on good memory and i was noticing they were 100 us$ and up. Can you help me with the sweet spot for buying ram. Also i am going to play games like minecraft rocket league overwatch valorant and stuff like that

Well depends on how much memory do you want? At 8GB or so (with speed of around 3000-3200), around 40-60$ is to be expected, while an extra 20$ for 16GB. Do be noted this is for a Dual Channel kit of 2*4 and 2*8 respectively. You can save up by buying it in 1*8 or 1*16, but dual channel is a must for any form of modern CPUs if you arent going to upgrade it in a timely manner.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

2 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Well depends on how much memory do you want? At 8GB or so (with speed of around 3000-3200), around 40-60$ is to be expected, while an extra 20$ for 16GB. Do be noted this is for a Dual Channel kit of 2*4 and 2*8 respectively. You can save up by buying it in 1*8 or 1*16, but dual channel is a must for any form of modern CPUs if you arent going to upgrade it in a timely manner.

I was thinking around 8 gb for now just because im not going to play a bunch of AAA games

1 minute ago, Burrand said:

im not going to play a bunch of AAA games

While 16 is favored by most games even from 2018-2019, thats still kinda valid sentiment. Just make sure you close as many background apps you dont need as possible before you boot a game.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

4 minutes ago, Nathanpete said:

3000 MHz or 3200 MHz for DDR4, CAS latency between 16 and 18, select the amount of RAM you are aiming for. I'd go for 2 sticks of 8GB each, for a total of 16GB. 

Sort my lowest price, and get something that doesn't look downright hideous (anything without a heat spreader). If your case has clear side panels, visuals are a little important, but if you have side panels you can't see through, then you don't actually need heat spreaders. (Keyword is need, for price, you can get low quality memory for cheap without a heatspreader, but even low to medium quality tend to come with a cheap heat spreader, and they tend to not look bad)

I found some sticks of ram for about 80 dollars, they are 2x8 gb of ram, and 3000 mhz

Just now, Burrand said:

I found some sticks of ram for about 80 dollars, they are 2x8 gb of ram, and 3000 mhz

Can you link so I can confirm you didn't make a terrible choice?

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

3 minutes ago, Burrand said:

I was thinking around 8 gb for now just because im not going to play a bunch of AAA games

16gb is prefered. 

if you dont buy a seond stick, the experence on any game is going to... suck..... and a lot of enven older game have a 8gb minium now.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, Burrand said:

you bet

XPG Z1 DDR4 3000MHz (PC4 24000) 16GB (2x8GB) Memory Modules Red (AX4U300038G16-DRZ) at Amazon.com

also thanks for the help i would be dead lost without these forums

At 80 you can find a Crucial Ballistix kit. Adata's chip supplier can be very shoddy sometimes.

3 minutes ago, Burrand said:

you bet

XPG Z1 DDR4 3000MHz (PC4 24000) 16GB (2x8GB) Memory Modules Red (AX4U300038G16-DRZ) at Amazon.com

also thanks for the help i would be dead lost without these forums

It isn't "bad." You could do better for a little bit more, but if you want to save every penny, go ahead and get this. Although, it wouldn't hurt to look at the QVL for whatever mobo you choose (given your other post) and purchase a kit that appears on the QVL so that you can guarantee it will work. 

Just now, Burrand said:

nods

Faster speed and a more reliable Micron die.

3 hours ago, Burrand said:

Make sure that if you do get the ram you want that it is a good speed with ur mobo.