Plugged my power cable to a 110v and another for 220v, it runned but when i open a 4k wallpaper started to turning off then avr it smoked

Lein
Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

The computer's power supply is probably designed to accept a wide input voltage, something like 90v ... 250v AC. So it would not care if it receives 110v AC or 230v AC, it will take in anything and produce the right voltages for the components.聽

BUT, check the labels of your power supply and see if it's wide input voltage. It's written on the power supply label.聽 If it's 230v only (or 220v+), then your power supply should have shut down with just 110v.聽

The AVR is an auto voltage regulator ... my guess is that regulator has a simple transformer with multiple secondary taps and it just switches between taps to keep the output voltage within some range.聽

If the AVR uses a transformer and that transformer was made for 220..250v but you powered it with 110v, the that transformer probably got overheated and probably got damaged.聽 If you got smoke, I would not use that AVR anymore, because probably the insulation on wires inside that regulator is burned so it no longer safe to use.聽

I smelled my cpu , nothing smells burnt wire or plastic only the avr.. what should i do next . 馃槥聽new pc user here 馃槶馃槶 i know its my fault ..

What? What is "another"? What is "avr"?

HAL9000:聽AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32聽GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server:聽Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial聽Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4聽| Gigabyte B560M-DS3H聽|聽33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server:聽Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16聽GB DDR3聽ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro聽| Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster:聽2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

Uuhh what exactly did you do with the power cables?
If you did something wrong with the power and your聽PSU is decent enough, it should've taken the worst of it.

But yeah, uh, you're gonna need to describe in detail what you did to connect 110v and 220v at the same time? Because I'm hurting just thinking about it聽馃槚

4 minutes ago, Rauten said:

Uuhh what exactly did you do with the power cables?
If you did something wrong with the power and your聽PSU is decent enough, it should've taken the worst of it.

But yeah, uh, you're gonna need to describe in detail what you did to connect 110v and 220v at the same time? Because I'm hurting just thinking about it聽馃槚

The power cables that goes in the avr.. i put one of them in 110v socket in the avr not on both聽220v聽 in the avr.. im freakin out also here just bought and build this unit 馃樀馃樀馃槶馃槶

-> Moved to Troubleshooting

Please be clear, what is your AVR (link?), what did you plug into what and what exactly smoked?

F@H
Desktop:聽i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0,聽Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO,聽Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro聽RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan),聽Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Lein said:

The power cables that goes in the avr.. i put one of them in 110v socket in the avr not on both聽220v聽 in the avr.. im freakin out also here just bought and build this unit 馃樀馃樀馃槶馃槶

what are you talking about when you say "avr"? what is this acronym?

Do you mean your power supply?

馃尣馃尣馃尣

鈼捖犫棐聽

8 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

9 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

Automatic volt regulator, i put one of the power cable in 110v rather than both 220v, im freakin out rn. Dont know what to do 馃槶馃槶馃樀

Ok, so I take it you have a regulator with 110 and 220 outputs?

Still, how did you manage to connect to -both- at the same time? PSUs should only have the 1 cable going out.

8 minutes ago, Arika S said:

what are you talking about when you say "avr"? what is this acronym?

Do you mean your power supply?

No.. psu is differnt on avr maam/sir Automatic voltage regulator, ..

13 minutes ago, Rauten said:

Ok, what is an avr?

Automatic voltage regulator

The computer's power supply is probably designed to accept a wide input voltage, something like 90v ... 250v AC. So it would not care if it receives 110v AC or 230v AC, it will take in anything and produce the right voltages for the components.聽

BUT, check the labels of your power supply and see if it's wide input voltage. It's written on the power supply label.聽 If it's 230v only (or 220v+), then your power supply should have shut down with just 110v.聽

The AVR is an auto voltage regulator ... my guess is that regulator has a simple transformer with multiple secondary taps and it just switches between taps to keep the output voltage within some range.聽

If the AVR uses a transformer and that transformer was made for 220..250v but you powered it with 110v, the that transformer probably got overheated and probably got damaged.聽 If you got smoke, I would not use that AVR anymore, because probably the insulation on wires inside that regulator is burned so it no longer safe to use.聽

7 minutes ago, Rauten said:

Ok, so I take it you have a regulator with 110 and 220 outputs?

Still, how did you manage to connect to -both- at the same time? PSUs should only have the 1 cable going out.

One is power cable is for the monitor another is for the cpu unit.. didnt know that theres a 110v socket on avrs聽..聽 thats why i unwittingly put it on 110v one of the two power cable聽.. i know i under supplied something because i supposed to do is put them both on 220v .. i just dont know what to do next after ..

7 minutes ago, mariushm said:

If the AVR uses a transformer and that transformer was made for 220..250v but you powered it with 110v, the that transformer probably got overheated and probably got damaged.聽 If you got smoke, I would not use that AVR anymore, because probably the insulation on wires inside that regulator is burned so it no longer safe聽

So my cpu unit is still okay?? Since i dont smell something burnt on it .. just the avr ..So ill just replace my avr .. would buy later for a better new one,.. i bought thr whole unit as packaged .. didnt bother to check the quality of the packged avr ..thanks thanks ..聽

24 minutes ago, Lein said:

One is power cable is for the monitor another is for the cpu unit.. didnt know that theres a 110v socket on avrs聽..聽 thats why i unwittingly put it on 110v one of the two power cable聽.. i know i under supplied something because i supposed to do is put them both on 220v .. i just dont know what to do next after ..

Get an extension cord/power strip (with 3-5 sockets), and connect that extension cord into your AVR in the 230v socket.聽 Now you can plug all your 230v equipment in the extension cord/power strip.

Do you actually need an AVR?聽 You would only need one if your mains voltage is really unstable. Are the lights in your house flickering, do they lower in brightness for seconds at a time and then go back?聽

Like I said, power supplies in computers and monitors are typically wide input voltage, they're designed to handle some amount of voltage fluctuating a bit... so you may not even need an AVR with your computer.聽

4 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Get an extension cord/power strip (with 3-5 sockets), and connect that extension cord into your AVR in the 230v socket.聽 Now you can plug all your 230v equipment in the extension cord/power strip.

Do you actually need an AVR?聽 You would only need one if your mains voltage is really unstable. Are the lights in your house flickering, do they lower in brightness for seconds at a time and then go back?聽

Like I said, power supplies in computers and monitors are typically wide input voltage, they're designed to handle some amount of voltage fluctuating a bit... so you may not even need an AVR with your computer.聽

Our power is stable .. the fluctuation only happend when i put the cable on the 110v socket in the avr .then聽the flickering of cpu after that the avr suddenly emits the smoke and the whole unit shuts down.. our power sockets here are jus like this [ |聽 聽 | ]聽

No additional circular pointed tip in the middle