What should I do as I'm 3/4 way through my 1st PC build

LemonJuice147

Hey guys, I'm 3/4 way through my 1st build and obviously don't have a GPU and won't be able to grab a 3060 ti or 3070 for another year probably, but I want to be able to use my PC for uni work such as google chrome tabs, Microsoft word, etc as my surface pro 6 crashes (doesn't have a fan, I know it's bad) and can't handle the chrome tabs I have open for literature reviews and all that. And just game when gpu shortages relax

Is it worth grabbing one of those cheapest GPU's just to make the PC functional, like those 2gb passive cooling tiny ones that can be powered by the PCIe slot, while I wait a year and a bit?

They're like $50 and I can't come to terms with buying anything 4-8gb such as a RX 580 while they are 3 times the price when I would just buy a rtx 30 series later

Gday lemon,

i can say that for general use, a GT710 (the X1 variant) is usually enough for day to day home / office use.

When it comes to games, it kind of depends on what you're wanting to play. i know for fact the IGPU on the APU's AMD currently offers are better than a GT710. So in that regard they won't suffice.

Can you tell us what type of games you wish to do?

Gamesystem: X3700, 32GB memory @3200mhz, GTX1080 Hybrid

Unraid system: Epyc 7352, 24/48, 96GB ECC buffered @2666mhz, 2x GT710, GTX1050Ti

10 minutes ago, LemonJuice147 said:

They're like $50 and I can't come to terms with buying anything 4-8gb such as a RX 580 while they are 3 times the price when I would just buy a rtx 30 series later

Yes, you can get a card like that. In fact I also have something similar, which I use as a spare in case my main graphics card gives out or I need to diagnose an issue. However, if you also plan to do some light gaming a GT 1030 might be a far better option. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

12 minutes ago, Caennanu said:

Gday lemon,

i can say that for general use, a GT710 (the X1 variant) is usually enough for day to day home / office use.

When it comes to games, it kind of depends on what you're wanting to play. i know for fact the IGPU on the APU's AMD currently offers are better than a GT710. So in that regard they won't suffice.

Can you tell us what type of games you wish to do?

Once I can buy a rtx 30 series I was planning on playing rtx minecraft, rust, some other games, but since I'm prioritising my studies I won't be playing games anytime soon

4 minutes ago, Analog said:

Yes, you can get a card like that. In fact I also have something similar, which I use as a spare in case my main graphics card gives out or I need to diagnose an issue. However, if you also plan to do some light gaming a GT 1030 might be a far better option. 

Yeah, I'm looking at pcpartpicker right now and even the cheapest gpus are sold out in some stores here in Australia, so I think that's my best bet

1 minute ago, LemonJuice147 said:

Once I can buy a rtx 30 series I was planning on playing rtx minecraft, rust, some other games, but since I'm prioritising my studies I won't be playing games anytime soon

I'm not into minecraft, let alone the RTX version, but to be honest, i would not consider buying an RTX for those games to start with. The graphics are not THAT challenging. For those games i'd go for maybe 1080, but more likely a 2060 or something like that. But its all personal preference ofcourse.

My best advice in this regard would be picking up a 2060 or similar.

Gamesystem: X3700, 32GB memory @3200mhz, GTX1080 Hybrid

Unraid system: Epyc 7352, 24/48, 96GB ECC buffered @2666mhz, 2x GT710, GTX1050Ti

Opt for a 4gb as their prices shouldn't be as inflated as others, perhaps try a 1050ti 

Thanks everyone for helping, first time using the forum and you all are quick to respond and helpful.

Ended up buying this while I wait out the shortages, and when I can upgrade I'll chuck it in my parent's cheap home computer so it's not wasted as I plan to also buy and install an SSD for them as their hard drive is sooooo slow

Screenshot_20210421-171818_Chrome.jpg

2 minutes ago, iNSUFFZ said:

Opt for a 4gb as their prices shouldn't be as inflated as others, perhaps try a 1050ti 

They sadly are inflated just as bad here in Australia, the rtx 10 series and the 570/580's are more inflated than the 3060's

I bought mine for barely 50eur (used) around jan..if you haven't bought the whole thing yet you might wanna get a cpu with a half decent integrated graphics that'll support light gaming

2 hours ago, iNSUFFZ said:

I bought mine for barely 50eur (used) around jan..if you haven't bought the whole thing yet you might wanna get a cpu with a half decent integrated graphics that'll support light gaming

Not a bad idea, but I've already got a ryzen 5 3600