GK61 v Steelseries

deadmeme

I currently have a gk61 and am thinking about buying a apex pro, is this a good switch for gaming, or should I stick with my gk61 with yellow switches.

Why would you want to swap a hotswappable board for something you cant switch switches? If you dont like how yellow feels/actuate, you can get something with shorter actuation point like MX Speed Silver.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

The switches are optical which I should have specified 

1 minute ago, deadmeme said:

Then you already have the best of the best in actuation points and response. Unless you need analog input, dont.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

22 minutes ago, deadmeme said:

The Apex Pro has Hall effect switches (for some of the board), not optical. If you really want to be able to set the actuation distance, or really want some really smooth switches, then sure. 

Be aware that the included keycap are absolute garbage, being thin laser etched ABS. You could replace the keycaps, and it does use a standard bottom row, however there may be interference, as the switches are both north facing, and have through hole LEDs. 

:)

Not necessarily the apex pro has a faster actuation point  at .4 while the gateron optical yellows have actuation at point 1.2.  But yes, hypothetically speaking the yellow is faster in actuation due to less mass needed to press the key down. So by actuation alone the apex pro is faster.

What would be good keycaps, I already have white ones which would work, but all white on an otherwise black keyboard doesn't sound good to me.