Fan modes on Asus TUF gaming A17 laptop (or in Windows?)

Hi 🙂

I recently purchased an Asus TUF gaming A17 laptop with an AMD Ryzen7 4800H CPU and I use it for video analyses using a third party software. This laptop is above the minimal requirements specified by the program but (obviously) the more performant the hardware, the smoothest the program will run (up to a certain point).

On startup, the A17 displays 2 toast notifications once I reach the Windows desktop. The 1st one is related to something I haven't figured out yet (it displays "Default") while the 2nd one is about the fan mode. This notification uses the Armoury Crate icon family apparently.

- While plugged in, fan mode can be set to Silent, Performance or Turbo by pressing fn+F5

- On battery, fan mode can be set to either Silent or Performance only (no more Turbo?)

Now when I use my video analysis software while on Silent mode, the CPU runs at 3.9GHz and oscillate around 80% usage (all cores are running). For reference, the max freq of the 4800H is 4.2GHz. In this mode the video plays relatively smoothly with a few hiccups now and then (overall usable). If I switch to Turbo mode, the video plays smoothly.

Now when I remove the power plug and run my video analysis software on battery, the CPU clock drops significantly (I guess this is to save battery life? to prevent over heating? idk) but then the video playback is no longer good enough to accurately perform video analysis. Both Silent and Performance modes give sub-par results. Again, on battery there are no Turbo mode available. Why?

I tried the following:

- go in Windows setting and selected the High Performance power plan. -> same thing...

I cannot find where the fan modes are defined or selected. It's not in Armoury Crate nor anywhere else in Windows settings (or at least I couldn't find it). Except for fn+F5, I don't know how to switch from one mode to another.

Is there any way I could tell the computer to run the CPU at max speed even when on battery? I don't care about battery life when I do this kind of video analyses. I rather have to plug back the power source if I need to rather than fail the whole analysis and having to start all over.

Thank you very much in advance for your feedback.

Best,

-a-