Complete Beginner need help picking parts.

Niloc3

Budget (including currency): 800 usd

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: productivity and light-ish video editing

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): I currently have the Acer Aspire TC-885-UA92 pre-build PC. It's fine but gets slow when video editing in davinchi resolve. I have a budget of 800 but am a little flexible and want the most bang for my buck. I already have a case (ATX) and storage. I have never build a PC before ad do not really know where to start. Any advice on parts would mean a ton to me! Thanks in advance.

You won't be able to get a graphics card (at least not a decent one), I'd therefore recommend you go for a core i5 with built in graphics as the AMD chips with built in graphics are difficult to source.

<Ryzen 3900x><B450 chipset><16gb 3200 Corsair Vengeance Ram><Wd Blue SN550 1tb storage><Razer Huntsman mini><32" Samsung CF39 curved monitor + 23" Samsung><240mm AIO Cooler><Nvidia GTX 1660 (boo!)>

Often seen flying around the world thanks to Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

Shiny

I'd recommend the core i5 (make sure it's got built in graphics) with a suitable motherboard (make sure it's the same socket as the processor).

16gb of Ram (about $100)

I'd seriously recommend an M.2 NVME drive for storage (about $70 for 500gb of storage) even if it's only for the boot drive.

500w Power supply

That spec is do-able for circa $400

If you wanted to spend more, get an i7 processor with built in graphics.

<Ryzen 3900x><B450 chipset><16gb 3200 Corsair Vengeance Ram><Wd Blue SN550 1tb storage><Razer Huntsman mini><32" Samsung CF39 curved monitor + 23" Samsung><240mm AIO Cooler><Nvidia GTX 1660 (boo!)>

Shiny

48 minutes ago, CaptainReynolds said:

You won't be able to get a graphics card (at least not a decent one), I'd therefore recommend you go for a core i5 with built in graphics as the AMD chips with built in graphics are difficult to source.

OP said he currently has "Acer Aspire TC-885-UA92"
Before recommending anything, how about listening to the guy 1st:
https://www.amazon.com/Acer-TC-885-UA92-Desktop-i5-9400-802-11AC/dp/B07R8WJMW6

9th Gen Intel Core i5-9400, 12GB DDR4, 512GB SSD, 8X DVD, 802.11AC Wifi, USB 3.1 Type C, Windows 10 Home, Black

1 hour ago, Niloc3 said:

It's fine but gets slow when video editing in davinchi resolve

That is because the prebuilt you bought has no dedicated GPU, and as @CaptainReynolds already informed you buying a decent GPU now is a seriously bad investment, easily eats up your whole budget because the prices are inflated 2x-3x. So either only buy a GPU if you must now and upgrade your current PC or wait until the prices go down and you can actually build a whole new PC with the 800 USD budget you've got.
Video editing without dedicated GPU just isn't gonna work well (unless you get an M1 Mac).

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

My advise is to get a ryzen 5 cpu with an integrated GPU , amd integrated GPUs are better than intel and also you will get and amd stock cooler which is descent enough for ryzen 5 , the temps will be at 70°C undr work load.

13 hours ago, Biohazard777 said:

OP said he currently has "Acer Aspire TC-885-UA92"
Before recommending anything, how about listening to the guy 1st:
https://www.amazon.com/Acer-TC-885-UA92-Desktop-i5-9400-802-11AC/dp/B07R8WJMW6

9th Gen Intel Core i5-9400, 12GB DDR4, 512GB SSD, 8X DVD, 802.11AC Wifi, USB 3.1 Type C, Windows 10 Home, Black

You've failed to notice that there are many iteration of the Acer Aspire TC-885-UA92 and clearly the OP isn't happy with the whole system or he'd be asking what to improve and not asking for recommendations for a new build.

Shiny

1 hour ago, CaptainReynolds said:

You've failed to notice that there are many iteration of the Acer Aspire TC-885-UA92 and clearly the OP isn't happy with the whole system or he'd be asking what to improve and not asking for recommendations for a new build.

If you are going to call me out here are a few pointers:
1) Try not frak the formatting of the post, don't put your reply inside the quote block... Makes it harder to read, especially for new forum users.
2) Provide arguments to your claims, ergo show us those variants (any of them come with a dedicated GPU?, heck does any of them come with a different CPU at least?).
3) Explain how buying a "core i5"  (your words) would be so much better than what the OP currently has (i5-9400) for his workload (video editing).

I personally don't care if you are gonna address any of the points above, but the OP being a novice could learn something... The only problem right now is that instead of helping the OP you are just arguing with me over a blunder you made, you could have admitted a mistake and moved on or simply ignored it, but nope it is better that the OP waste some of his money than you to be wrong, right? 🙄

1 hour ago, CaptainReynolds said:

and clearly the OP isn't happy with the whole system or he'd be asking what to improve and not asking for recommendations for a new build.

OP owns a prebuilt, has never assembled a PC and doesn't know where to start (his words). You expect him to know what he gains by upgrading VS building a new PC? Also that new PC he would have built based on your advice would end up being quite similar to his current PC...

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

I would say even something like a 1650 would be an upgrade for that acer, and even if you can find a 1660 (of course if you can find one for a normal price) looking into what you have, you would also need an adapter to allow the system to power the GPU and that is if your Aspire doesn't happen to have something like a single spare 6-pin power adapter (I'm doubtful of this).  At least w/ the 1650/1660 you would be able to use the NVENC encoder to aid in your workflow and up your quality a few notches in games.

Project Gray Scale
Intel Core i7 6900k @ 4.2Ghz - Dominator 32GB DDR4 2400 CL10 - Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB NVMe - 2 Samsung 840 EVO 1TB (Gaming and Sratch) - 2 Barracuda 2TB 
Asus x99 Deluxe - MSI Aero OC GTX 1080Ti - Seasonic 760 XP² - Mod1PC Custom Cables - EKWB CPU & GPU Blocks Nickle/Plexi - EKWB D5 PWM 
EKWB PE360 - Corsair ML120 (6)  - InWin 303- NK65 Entry Watermelon w/ Gat Laseron 70g (205g0 & Filmed) - Logitech G Pro x Superlight
Kanto YU2 - Sennheiser PC360 SE - Acer XF270HU

BUT DOES IT FOLD?! https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=963814