Ryzen 9 5900X + Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master does not reach advertised clock speeds.

Hi. First, the details of the build:

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, BIOS F33i

G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4x16GB @ 3600Mhz CL16 XMP enabled.

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X

Corsair H100i RGB Platinum

Seasonic Focus Plus Platinum 850W

EVGA GeForce GTX 680 (reference) - damn you GPU shortage

According to the specs, my CPU should be able to run 4.4GHz multi-core and 4.8 single-core.

What I see, while running Cinebench R20, is 4.15 to 4.2GHz multi-core and 4.6GHz single core.

There is no overclocking. There is definitely NO underclocking.

XMP enabled, PBO is set to Auto (it's either Auto or disabled)

I have installed the Ryzen chipset drivers, resetted CMOS, etc. etc.

Temps do not exceed 67°C under Cinebench load.

Anybody here has an idea? Anything I missed?
In the meant time, I will try disabling PBO.

EDIT

Disabling PBO did nothing.

Somehow, XMP disabled itself...? So I gained 100 points in Cinebench. Still no luck hitting 4.4GHz All-Core.

Turn PBO on. Enable it.

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

Turn PBO on. Enable it.

Yeah yeah. I did. I re-enabled it when I saw that it just used the base 3.7GHz clock.

Just now, Lebon14 said:

Yeah yeah. I did. I re-enabled it when I saw that it just used the base 3.7GHz clock.

Right. Gotcha.

The single core boost is usually active when the system is at idle. 

Run HWInfo64 and you should see the cores each eventually will have boosted to 4.8ghz.

Generally this happens for like a split second or two. Not for very long.

So you really want that all core performance more anyways. So PBO and go is good, XMP is good. 

No need to worry about the single core performance very much. Not many games only use a single core any more and you have enough epeen for the one's that do with an underclock like 2ghz haha. 

35 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Right. Gotcha.

The single core boost is usually active when the system is at idle. 

Run HWInfo64 and you should see the cores each eventually will have boosted to 4.8ghz.

Generally this happens for like a split second or two. Not for very long.

So you really want that all core performance more anyways. So PBO and go is good, XMP is good. 

No need to worry about the single core performance very much. Not many games only use a single core any more and you have enough epeen for the one's that do with an underclock like 2ghz haha. 

Right. I did that and, eventually, it did reach 4950.7 Mhz:

551ccf5497b568599b4bcd1b7ad30c32.png

So, that's good.

However, I'm still curious why I still can't touch benchmarkers' result with Cinebench. I'm like 500 to 600 points short. I was able to get 8169 but I've seen near 9k. For single core, I was maybe 10-20 points away. I expect that. What I don't expect is the massive difference in points like the above... And, even then, most of my score are below 8100 points.

This is also my first ever AMD CPU. I only had Intel before that. My last CPU was a Core i7 950. Regardless, it's a *HUGE* upgrade regardless.

1 hour ago, Lebon14 said:

Right. I did that and, eventually, it did reach 4950.7 Mhz:

So, that's good.

However, I'm still curious why I still can't touch benchmarkers' result with Cinebench. I'm like 500 to 600 points short. I was able to get 8169 but I've seen near 9k. For single core, I was maybe 10-20 points away. I expect that. What I don't expect is the massive difference in points like the above... And, even then, most of my score are below 8100 points.

This is also my first ever AMD CPU. I only had Intel before that. My last CPU was a Core i7 950. Regardless, it's a *HUGE* upgrade regardless.

Nice.

Well when it comes to benchmarking, there is a TON of variables. You're in the ballpark, then you're in the ball park.

If you like to chase scores, it involves a bit more "tweaking" then the simple PBO and XMP set up. 

There's the operating system. How much crap do you have running in the background? 

Turn it all off. You can even turn off explorer by hitting CTRL and Shift while right clicking the task bar, then click "exit explorer". 

The more processes and memory being used, the lower your score will be. Shut everything off and give it a go. Should gain some points.

Hardware side, you want to reduce memory latency and increase frequency where ever you can. 

Your score, nothing to sweat. I'm sure it could be improved, but it's not the tell all of system performance. At least not running just one benchmark.