Optiplex PC build GPU help/recommendations

Yesterday on the side of the road in Brooklyn I found an old dell optiplex 3020 in working condition for free on the side of the road. The optiplex has 8gb of ddr3 ram, a 1tb 7200rpm hdd, and an i5 4570. I already got some new thermal paste off amazon, as well as a 128gb boot seta ssd. As for the graphics card i was thinking about getting a used gtx 970/980 for about 250$ along with a 500w power supply (I’m under the impression that it could take up to a year or 2 for the graphics market to stabilize and i need something in the meantime and i can’t spend more than a few hundred bucks). I would greatly appreciate any recommendations/thoughts for the graphics card or anything else as this is my first PC build. Thanks so much for the help!

Budget (including currency): 350usd max for new gpu + psu (or any other needed parts)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mix of modern and older games, as well as some light music production with fl studio 

Monitor: 3440x1440 ultrawide (i can turn down resolution in games to 1080p when needed)

Other details: 

Current System Part List:

cpu: i5 4570

memory: 2x4gb ddr3

gpu: tbd

motherboard: some old dell thing with 1 pci 16x, 3 pci 1x, and 2 ram slots

storage: 128gb sata ssd, 1tb sata hdd

cooler: stock dell cooler, but cpu isn’t overclockable so i think it will work?

psu: stock dell 290w (I think i need a new one if i want to put any kind of reasonably powerful graphics card in?)

Thanks for any help!

8 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yea that should work. Onlything you will need is an adapter for the non standard psu connector on those boards.

does the 980 sound like a good choice or will that be a bottleneck with the cpu?

also thanks!

4 minutes ago, AllDayBeats said:

does the 980 sound like a good choice or will that be a bottleneck with the cpu?

also thanks!

I think it will work. I have like a 3rd gen i5 I forgot which exact model and then like a gt570 and it works perfectly fine on some games. I use it as a office pc but it runs some games fine. Not the best, it will not run 1440p well I don't think. But you might as well try.

Current Setup: PC