Can a faulty displayport cable be causing my monitor to sometimes have coloured lines appearing all over my screen?

Acxd

So as the title says, I just wanna know if that's possible. Cause I'm unsure if its my cable, my monitor or even my GPU. It happens whenever I boot my computer and lasts for a while but then just disappears for the rest of the time my computer is on. What is weird is that it doesn't do it every time and the severity of the lines varies every boot up, as well as how long it lasts. My suspicion is its either the cable or GPU, cause I recently plugged my ps4 back in and when I booted my computer it happened but as soon as I  switched to the HDMI for the PS4 it stopped, then returned when I switched back to DP. However it didn't instantly disappear when I switched, it faded out which is why I haven't ruled out the monitor yet. Really hope it isn't the GPU cause, well you guys know why I'd have a hard time getting one. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit- I have now ruled out the cable completely as I replicated the issue with 2 different cables on the same monitor. Still unsure if it's the monitor or GPU at this time

Edited by Acxd

15 minutes ago, Acxd__OnTwitch said:

So as the title says, I just wanna know if that's possible. Cause I'm unsure if its my cable, my monitor or even my GPU. It happens whenever I boot my computer and lasts for a while but then just disappears for the rest of the time my computer is on. What is weird is that it doesn't do it every time and the severity of the lines varies every boot up, as well as how long it lasts. My suspicion is its either the cable or GPU, cause I recently plugged my ps4 back in and when I booted my computer it happened but as soon as I  switched to the HDMI for the PS4 it stopped, then returned when I switched back to DP. However it didn't instantly disappear when I switched, it faded out which is why I haven't ruled out the monitor yet. Really hope it isn't the GPU cause, well you guys know why I'd have a hard time getting one. Any help would be appreciated.

Try plugging in the monitor thru HDMI, if the problem is still there, it might be the gpu or the monitor, if the problem disappears, it could be the cable, DP on the monitor or on the gpu.

20 minutes ago, Acxd__OnTwitch said:

If I considered a DP cable to me a major suspect I would probably try a different one. I don’t know if that particular type of problem could be cause by DP specifically or not.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 minutes ago, Latvian Video said:

Try plugging in the monitor thru HDMI, if the problem is still there, it might be the gpu or the monitor, if the problem disappears, it could be the cable, DP on the monitor or on the gpu.

It never had the coloured lines when solely booting it up from the ps4 so im like 90% sure it isnt the monitor

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

If I considered a DP cable to me a major suspect I would probably try a different one. I don’t know if that particular type of problem could be cause by DP specifically or not.

Ive currently got a different DP cable plugged in and turning the computer off and on with no issues so far but like i said, it doesnt happen all the time so gonna have to wait to know for sure