Pre-Built v/s Assembled: Advice me!

Hi Forum,

I am pretty sure this question has been raised here multiple times. But with the current GPU market being what it is, I am facing the ultimate conundrum: should I go for a pre-built PC or still try and fight my way through and try and assemble one? I currently do not have a PC. But I have built PCs previously and would like to do so again - mostly for gaming purposes. But I want it to double as a workstation as well (I work remotely as a computer science professional).

Now here's the thing: I am willing to wait another 5-6 months to see if anything changes. Having this setup is NOT super important to me. And supposedly assembling one would take that much time as well. Since I will have to spend countless hours to fight for a RTX 30xx (whatever I can get my hands on - preferably at least a 3070? 3080 would be amazing to get. Don't really need or want to spend for 3090).

I have a pretty good budget (atleast according to me) - 2.5K USD before taxes. And I would like to go the AMD Ryzen route (possibly Ryzen 7 5800X) - haven't really decided yet, but I am sure there are better people on this forum to advice me.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

(Insert customary lttstore.com plug here)

Thanks in advance 🙂

If you are willing to wait, there's likely to be a lot of changes in the GPU market in that time. Ethereum ASIC cards are coming out, which will turn GPU mining irrelevant if they catch on, and even if they don't, EIP 1559 is coming out in 3 months or so which will halve the profits of Ethereum miners, both of which will result in less demand for new GPUs and bring a lot of GPUs into the used market.

If you want it now, and for the cheapest price, buy a prebuilt.

A friend of mine works at a smaller PC boutique OEM. They got more RTX3080's and RTX3090's than a decently large PC parts retailer in Australia.

6 minutes ago, GalacticRuler said:

If you are willing to wait, there's likely to be a lot of changes in the GPU market in that time. Ethereum ASIC cards are coming out, which will turn GPU mining irrelevant if they catch on, and even if they don't, EIP 1559 is coming out in 3 months or so which will halve the profits of Ethereum miners, both of which will result in less demand for new GPUs and bring a lot of GPUs into the used market.

Thank you for the information. This is really helpful. Will do some more research into what you mentioned and check if things do start to look better. Although honestly, I doubt it. And my concern is the PC builders running out of GPUs and having to settle for a lower GPU for the time being.

3 minutes ago, comicsansms said:

If you want it now, and for the cheapest price, buy a prebuilt.

A friend of mine works at a smaller PC boutique OEM. They got more RTX3080's and RTX3090's than a decently large PC parts retailer in Australia.

So I have been seeing. Any advice on which one would be the best (or comparatively not so bad)? I have been looking at the usual suspects: Maingear, CyberpowerPC, iBuyPower etc.

2 minutes ago, Abhishek Sehrawat said:

Thank you for the information. This is really helpful. Will do some more research into what you mentioned and check if things do start to look better. Although honestly, I doubt it. And my concern is the PC builders running out of GPUs and having to settle for a lower GPU for the time being.

Of course, that doesn't mean you shouldn't look at all at the current market. Linus is running his Verified Gamer program, and I believe Newegg is selling GPUs through a lottery system in bundles with other components.

If you're fine with waiting, then I would wait, and just try to get a GPU in a drop sometime before now and then. Over the course of 6 months, you may very well luck into one. You can always go the prebuilt route later.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

1 hour ago, Abhishek Sehrawat said:

Hi Forum,

I am pretty sure this question has been raised here multiple times. But with the current GPU market being what it is, I am facing the ultimate conundrum: should I go for a pre-built PC or still try and fight my way through and try and assemble one? I currently do not have a PC. But I have built PCs previously and would like to do so again - mostly for gaming purposes. But I want it to double as a workstation as well (I work remotely as a computer science professional).

Now here's the thing: I am willing to wait another 5-6 months to see if anything changes. Having this setup is NOT super important to me. And supposedly assembling one would take that much time as well. Since I will have to spend countless hours to fight for a RTX 30xx (whatever I can get my hands on - preferably at least a 3070? 3080 would be amazing to get. Don't really need or want to spend for 3090).

I have a pretty good budget (atleast according to me) - 2.5K USD before taxes. And I would like to go the AMD Ryzen route (possibly Ryzen 7 5800X) - haven't really decided yet, but I am sure there are better people on this forum to advice me.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

(Insert customary lttstore.com plug here)

Thanks in advance 🙂

If you need something right now, then a prebuilt would be the way to go. Just make sure its a good one. The current state of the market is causing the price of graphics cards to be the cost of computers with those graphics cards, even more, its insane. However, there are ways to get gpus at msrp. Join ATR-Stonks link is here. They provide stock updates on whenever a certain 3000 or 6000 series gpu comes back in stock. Dont worry, they also do 5000 series cpus updates. And don't worry about the time it takes to assemble it, just take 4 - 5 hours out of your day and assemble it. If you don't have time, either try it on a weekend or ask a friend to do it for you (be sure to pay him, it takes time). Thats what i would recommend.

my signiture was cool, but its a lie now

16 hours ago, King of Memes said:

If you need something right now, then a prebuilt would be the way to go. Just make sure its a good one. The current state of the market is causing the price of graphics cards to be the cost of computers with those graphics cards, even more, its insane. However, there are ways to get gpus at msrp. Join ATR-Stonks link is here. They provide stock updates on whenever a certain 3000 or 6000 series gpu comes back in stock. Dont worry, they also do 5000 series cpus updates. And don't worry about the time it takes to assemble it, just take 4 - 5 hours out of your day and assemble it. If you don't have time, either try it on a weekend or ask a friend to do it for you (be sure to pay him, it takes time). Thats what i would recommend.

Thank you for the information and providing the discord link. My concern with the time is not about assembling the parts (which I can do by myself). i mentioned it in the sense, that it either way going to take that much amount of time before I can get my hands on the required parts. Once again, thanks for the information you provided.

-> Moved to New Builds and Planning

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv