Desk PC airflow

yaboi824

So I am designing my own pc desk and it's gone through a lot of changes, I'm just curious if the way I have the fans set up if I am gonna risk having hot air reintroduced into the system by the fans on the right that intake the air and the fans on the left exhaust the air, also where should I put a drain valve in a system like this?  

image.png

Well, I'm no expert, but depending on where you'll be sitting the table, I believe it could reintroduce the hot air into the system.

Picture this: if you place the desk somewhere that has your exhaust fans in a corner where the hot air has to move in the right direction, it'd could be troublesome.

I believe, making sure that the exhaust air has somewhere to go should be a priority. Also, if it were up to me, I'd try having the exhaust somewhere that's not pointing downward. Hot air moves up, always, so trying to have it exhaust from the side or upward, could help with your question.

Hope i could help 🙂

I'm nowhere close to an expert or experienced person in regards to airflow, but I'd think this way if I was the one building it

3 minutes ago, mendesjoao98 said:

Well, I'm no expert, but depending on where you'll be sitting the table, I believe it could reintroduce the hot air into the system.

Picture this: if you place the desk somewhere that has your exhaust fans in a corner where the hot air has to move in the right direction, it'd could be troublesome.

I believe, making sure that the exhaust air has somewhere to go should be a priority. Also, if it were up to me, I'd try having the exhaust somewhere that's not pointing downward. Hot air moves up, always, so trying to have it exhaust from the side or upward, could help with your question.

Hope i could help 🙂

I'm nowhere close to an expert or experienced person in regards to airflow, but I'd think this way if I was the one building it

Do you think angling the exhaust fans would work? Cuz I don't want the desk to be too thick.

1 minute ago, yaboi824 said:

Do you think angling the exhaust fans would work? Cuz I don't want the desk to be too thick.

Hmm

I believe it would depend. In the end, if the exhaust fans are still exhausting downward, the problem would still be there you know? I'd consider using smaller, but more fans for the intake and installing them on the side, for example. Doesn't solve the ascending hot air problem, but has the intake taking air from a cooler place. I'm suggesting the use of more fans because i picture acoustics are a problem to you as well, so using a slower and smaller rpm fan, but more of them.

Or do the same but for the exhaust fans, though I'm not sure if this is effective. Again, not an expert.

1 minute ago, mendesjoao98 said:

Hmm

I believe it would depend. In the end, if the exhaust fans are still exhausting downward, the problem would still be there you know? I'd consider using smaller, but more fans for the intake and installing them on the side, for example. Doesn't solve the ascending hot air problem, but has the intake taking air from a cooler place. I'm suggesting the use of more fans because i picture acoustics are a problem to you as well, so using a slower and smaller rpm fan, but more of them.

Or do the same but for the exhaust fans, though I'm not sure if this is effective. Again, not an expert.

1 minute ago, mendesjoao98 said:

Hmm

Thanks for the help.

How thick are you planning on making the desk? You could look at changing up your radiator configuration and "line" the left side of the desk in 1U radiators. Exhaust would go out the side and up so it wouldn't be anywhere near the cold air for the intake.

https://www.eteknix.com/alphacool-nexxxos-x-flow-40mm-and-80mm-radiators-now-available/

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 minute ago, IkeaGnome said:

How thick are you planning on making the desk? You could look at changing up your radiator configuration and "line" the left side of the desk in 1U radiators. Exhaust would go out the side and up so it wouldn't be anywhere near the cold air for the intake.

https://www.eteknix.com/alphacool-nexxxos-x-flow-40mm-and-80mm-radiators-now-available/

The desk its self is about 4 inches thick or so, I thought about going with 1u fans and radiators but they can get pretty loud and my family wouldn't be too happy with that.

3 minutes ago, yaboi824 said:

The desk its self is about 4 inches thick or so, I thought about going with 1u fans and radiators but they can get pretty loud and my family wouldn't be too happy with that.

They'd end up getting costly, but Noctua does have quiet 1U fans. They're the A4x20 PWM. Supposedly under 15dB. I've never tried them though.

You also might be able to get away with using that cooling lay out you currently have, and then set up a sort of shroud under the desk. It would take a little bit more work, but if you have something to force the exhaust away from the intake. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Just now, IkeaGnome said:

They'd end up getting costly, but Noctua does have quiet 1U fans. They're the A4x20 PWM. Supposedly under 15dB. I've never tried them though.

You also might be able to get away with using that cooling lay out you currently have, and then set up a sort of shroud under the desk. It would take a little bit more work, but if you have something to force the exhaust away from the intake. 

I think the shroud would work if I build it right, cuz the price is already a lot and don't want it to go any higher lol, I'll try and add a shroud and make it look cool, thanks for the help. One last thing do you know if EK or Corsair just sell the anti bacterial agents or would that be their premix fluids?

3 minutes ago, yaboi824 said:

I think the shroud would work if I build it right, cuz the price is already a lot and don't want it to go any higher lol, I'll try and add a shroud and make it look cool, thanks for the help. One last thing do you know if EK or Corsair just sell the anti bacterial agents or would that be their premix fluids?

Admittedly, I've done shopping for water cooling, but I haven't gotten into it yet. I was more talking about the airflow. 

There is stuff like this though.

https://www.amazon.com/PrimoChill-Liquid-Utopia-15ml-Bottle/dp/B00CDXQ22M

As far as actually needing it, I'd ask someone who has done their fair share of water cooling.

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 minute ago, IkeaGnome said:

Admittedly, I've done shopping for water cooling, but I haven't gotten into it yet. I was more talking about the airflow. 

There is stuff like this though.

https://www.amazon.com/PrimoChill-Liquid-Utopia-15ml-Bottle/dp/B00CDXQ22M

As far as actually needing it, I'd ask someone who has done their fair share of water cooling.

Thank you for all the help!