First Build for a PC as a Graduate Art Major (Oh no...)

Go to solution Solved by SorryBella,
22 minutes ago, HeartLore said:

My budget is starting at 500 and I wouldn't mind if it hits close to 700. I'm not sure if thats reasonable budget but I'd appreciate any info you have fam.

Bit low. 800-1000$ is the more usable budget. I would recommend to use that laptop you got right now to save up that extra 100$.

When GPU prices normalize, this is the kind of PC that i would go with at that price bracket.

Hello, I've never been on a site like this, and I barely know how to make a proper post on a forum because people scare me!
But I figured I had no choice since I'm an Art major
who finally after getting beaten and bruised for wanting to go to school have FINALLY got enough money to build my own PC...that and i'm not too smart on PC Build stuff lol

My budget is starting at 500 and I wouldn't mind if it hits close to 700. I'm not sure if thats reasonable budget but I'd appreciate any info you have fam.

1. I live in the U.S where people still like to go outside and shop everything's normal

2. Aim

My Aim is for Drawing, Mostly in Clip Art Studio and Blender's 2d drawing software| Music Design in FL Studio | 2D animation in Clip Art Studio| and Medium gaming(I believe the most heavy game I have in my Steam is Tales of Vesperia /Destiny 2/ Trials of Cold Steel.

3. Monitors

I don't have a monitor but I am getting a 720 32 inch flat screen tomorrow, if I see a need to get a monitor I might, since I'll surely need accurate colours.

4. Peripherals

So I just now found out you have to buy an OS when building a PC...oof. But yes I would need a OS, I have a keyboard and mouse already and if I need speakers then I might invest in some later on, but if there are recommendations I'd appreciate it fam : )

5. Why are you upgrading?

: ) I have a 128GB of storage on this laptop...

6. Please, No Dream Builds

The only dream build I have is to have a decent computer : )

13 minutes ago, HeartLore said:

Hello, I've never been on a site like this, and I barely know how to make a proper post on a forum because people scare me!
But I figured I had no choice since I'm an Art major
who finally after getting beaten and bruised for wanting to go to school have FINALLY got enough money to build my own PC...that and i'm not too smart on PC Build stuff lol

1. I live in the U.S where people still like to go outside and shop everything's normal

2. Aim

My Aim is for Drawing, Mostly in Clip Art Studio and Blender's 2d drawing software| Music Design in FL Studio | 2D animation in Clip Art Studio| and Medium gaming(I believe the most heavy game I have in my Steam is Tales of Vesperia /Destiny 2/ Trials of Cold Steel.

3. Monitors

I don't have a monitor but I am getting a 720 32 inch flat screen tomorrow, if I see a need to get a monitor I might, since I'll surely need accurate colours.

4. Peripherals

So I just now found out you have to buy an OS when building a PC...oof. But yes I would need a OS, I have a keyboard and mouse already and if I need speakers then I might invest in some later on, but if there are recommendations I'd appreciate it fam : )

5. Why are you upgrading?

: ) I have a 128GB on this laptop...

6. Please, No Dream Builds

The only dream build I have is to have a decent computer : )

You get to go out side? I am in CA I can’t do that and why are you upgrading if your laptop has 128 gb of ram I wish my laptop had that much 

Edited by the gamer that is bad
It autocorrected GB to gun so I changed it back

4 minutes ago, the gamer that is bad said:

You get to go out side? I am in CA I can’t do that and why are you upgrading if your laptop has 128 gb of ram I wish my laptop had that much 

Lol haha no...I have 128 gb of storage, I thought that it was obvious guess not?
We can go outside here...but honestly I only go to the grocery store and maybe one or two stores with limited people.

1 minute ago, HeartLore said:

Lol haha no...I have 128 gb of storage, I thought that it was obvious guess not?
We can go outside here...but honestly I only go to the grocery store and maybe one or two stores with limited people.

Ah here it is still 90% shut down and that makes more sense why you want an upgrade

22 minutes ago, HeartLore said:

Bit low. 800-1000$ is the more usable budget. I would recommend to use that laptop you got right now to save up that extra 100$.

When GPU prices normalize, this is the kind of PC that i would go with at that price bracket.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

6 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Good luck getting that gpu for that price

5 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Hey, thanks for the help!
I had heard that things got a bit more expensive, but thanks for letting me know. If I can't get cheaper I might as well go all in? Lol either way I appreciate it, i'll just save up for the extra coin ^^;

15 minutes ago, the gamer that is bad said:

Good luck getting that gpu for that price

Hence this quote:

22 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

When GPU prices normalize

I do know that this sort of price NOW is impossible.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

5 hours ago, SorryClaire said:

Bit low. 800-1000$ is the more usable budget. 

500-700 dollars is not that low of a budget.

The reason why it's hard to build a computer on 500$ is because of the chip shortage.

With 700 dollars you could have built a mid end gaming PC that would last you years back in 2017-2019.

You'll be lucky to find a reasonably priced GPU a year from now.

11 minutes ago, Cheburek said:

The reason why it's hard to build a computer on 500$ is because of the chip shortage.

Its always hard to make GOOD computer at 500$. you can make a functional one sure, but at 500$ youre bound to spend more later down the line which you couldve avoid by spending more in the first place.

3 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Its always hard to make GOOD computer at 500$. you can make a functional one sure, but at 500$ youre bound to spend more later down the line which you couldve avoid by spending more in the first place.

Throwing money at stuff of course does solve some problems.

Aside from that not many people can reach the "sweet spot" in term of computer budgets.

You have to work with the budget you got.

I'm saying that 500$ is not a bad budget because with lots of research you could have built a capable machine like the one I have.(bought a 450$ prebuilt with a ryzen 3 1200 and GT 1030 then added a 130$ Rx 580 and sold the 1030 for 80$ and boom gaming pc).

But nowadays an Rx 580 is often found for 300$ for example.

19 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Yeah to be honest it's better to lower your time preference and save up for a more long-lasting computer.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

On 4/17/2021 at 12:56 AM, SorryClaire said:

Hence this quote:

I do know that this sort of price NOW is impossible.

Hi, I just wanted to say thanks again for the advice!
I'm going through with getting the NewEgg Shared Build thats about 1k and I just wanted thoughts on this build if thats fine?

https://newegg.io/266d041
https://newegg.io/266d041https://newegg.io/266d041https://newegg.io/266d041

13 hours ago, HeartLore said:

Hi, I just wanted to say thanks again for the advice!
I'm going through with getting the NewEgg Shared Build thats about 1k and I just wanted thoughts on this build if thats fine?

https://newegg.io/266d041
https://newegg.io/266d041https://newegg.io/266d041https://newegg.io/266d041

Thats a bad build, especially for 1000$.

It's badly balanced and you are overspending on nearly everything.

Get what  @sorryclaire suggested but instead  get a 10400 without the F so you can use the integrated graphics until you find a better GPU.