My first NAS

1 minute ago, cookiethecrumb said:

This synology blade i linked says it only has 512 GB of ram is that enough to view video/movies/images from the device over the internet on my phone?

https://www.amazon.com/Synology-DiskStation-DS220j-Diskless-2-bay/dp/B0855LMP81/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=nas&qid=1618612592&sr=8-3

I think you mean 512MB.

yea thats plenty for a basic nas. They really don't need to do much for basic nas use, just move files from a disk to the network. If you want to use other apps you probably want a higher end model.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I think you mean 512MB.

yea thats plenty for a basic nas. They really don't need to do much for basic nas use, just move files from a disk to the network. If you want to use other apps you probably want a higher end model.

What do you mean by apps? all i would do is watch movies, listen to music, view images, and upload/download larger files on my phone/computer would this require more?

Just now, cookiethecrumb said:

What do you mean by apps? all i would do is watch movies, listen to music, view images, and upload/download larger files on my phone/computer would this require more?

You can run apps on the nas for things like plex, torrent boxes, pi hole and other uses. Those will need ram, but just as a network share it will be plenty.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can run apps on the nas for things like plex, torrent boxes, pi hole and other uses. Those will need ram, but just as a network share it will be plenty.

Do i need to run plex to watch movies i have saved on my nas?

Do i need to run plex to watch movies i have saved on my nas?

Nope. You can just mount the file share on windows and watch it like any other file

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Nope. You can just mount the file share on windows and watch it like any other file

is it the same thing when watching it from a phone?

Sorry to ask so many questions i really appreciate the help!

is it the same thing when watching it from a phone?

Sorry to ask so many questions i really appreciate the help!

Depends on the phone and how you plan to watch it. Can you phone mount smb shares? 

Something like plex normally makes it much easier to watch movies on a phone.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Depends on the phone and how you plan to watch it. Can you phone mount smb shares? 

Something like plex normally makes it much easier to watch movies on a phone.

I have a onePlus 7 pro I don't know if its able to do something like that.

How much would be the cheapest nas that can handle that app?

and if I were to get one if I didn't care if it could run plex would you say the linked one is the best cheapest one or is there a better option for non app running ones?

https://www.amazon.com/Synology-DiskStation-DS220j-Diskless-2-bay/dp/B0855LMP81/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=nas&qid=1618612592&sr=8-3

3 minutes ago, cookiethecrumb said:

I have a onePlus 7 pro I don't know if its able to do something like that.

How much would be the cheapest nas that can handle that app?

and if I were to get one if I didn't care if it could run plex would you say the linked one is the best cheapest one or is there a better option for non app running ones?

There are apps on andriod that let you strem from smb shares. 

Do you want to be able to see movies outside of your home?

Id probably get something like this for the extra power if you think you might want plex or simmilar https://www.amazon.com/Synology-Bay-DiskStation-DS220-Diskless/dp/B087ZCBWFH/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=ds220+play&qid=1618616015&sr=8-2

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

There are apps on andriod that let you strem from smb shares. 

Do you want to be able to see movies outside of your home?

Id probably get something like this for the extra power if you think you might want plex or simmilar https://www.amazon.com/Synology-Bay-DiskStation-DS220-Diskless/dp/B087ZCBWFH/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=ds220+play&qid=1618616015&sr=8-2

I did want to ability to view and watch all the files outside my home.

So that can handle any movie/music/image viewing apps?

https://www.amazon.com/Synology-Bay-DiskStation-DS220-Diskless/dp/B087ZCBWFH/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=ds220+play&qid=1618616015&sr=8-2

10 minutes ago, cookiethecrumb said:

I did want to ability to view and watch all the files outside my home.

So that can handle any movie/music/image viewing apps?

https://www.amazon.com/Synology-Bay-DiskStation-DS220-Diskless/dp/B087ZCBWFH/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=ds220+play&qid=1618616015&sr=8-2

Yea plex should run much better on that system. 

You will also have to setup port forwards in your router/firewall to allow the trafic thoug. You also need to make sure you don't have cgnat at home.

2 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Why do you want this drive? Id get the non pro version, you won't need the extra speed. If you want cheaper drives shuck the 8tb external drives

Your gonna be network limited, so drive rpm won't matter

Whats your total budget?

Id probalby just get a cheap/used desktop.

2 hours ago, wall03 said:

2 hours ago, Haraikomono said:

for a simple home usage scenario, id recommend you to get a consumer grade nas,  since everything beyond that you wont really have a use for.

they are pretty cheap, around 100-200€ like a synology 216 or anything like that with 2 bays.

reason for consumer nas: convenience, most of the tools youll need are already there

2 hours ago, BondiBlue said:

SFF OptiPlex machines don't make great NAS machines. There's only one drive bay, so no redundancy. 

I'd get a Synology unit personally. 

Thank you all so much for the help You guys are great!