Experiencing really slow internet speeds. Is my setup a no-no?

Free Napkins

I recently moved back in with my parents and brought back my own router. I'm plugging my router (Ubiqiti Amplifi HD) into the ethernet connection from my parent's router (NETGEAR Nighthawk AX6) Basically to use it as an access point/switch. Does this pass-through configuration cause any issues? I have recently been getting less than 10mb/s, and even now its around 2.5 on google speedtests. We pay for 200/200. I checked my connection straight from the NETGEAR router and that is about 86/?. the upload was failing occasionally and inconsistent. I called Verizon and asked for assistance but they basically said since we are using third party routers, theres nothing they can do (and proceeded to try to sell me their routers).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

The setup appears is fine. It sounds like verizon is not providing the speeds you paid for, like most ISPs, just write the complaints to the FCC and eventually they’ll fix it in a year or two.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

4 minutes ago, Free Napkins said:

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

1. Make sure you're using intact Cat5e (or better) ethernet through all wired links.
  2. What is the make/model of the ISP device?
  3. Have you speed tested while wired directly into the ISP device?
  4. Are you running your AmpliFi HD in default router mode or in AP mode?

You hardwired yourself to the Netgear when you tested those speeds? Did you try different times of day? What about different test servers (assuming you're using speedtest.net) 

All of that plays a role in shared residential internet service. Busy times of day means you're going to see less speed, alternatively if the test server you're connecting too has a bad route, is overloaded or a combination, you'll see poor results. 

1 minute ago, Falcon1986 said:
  1. Make sure you're using intact Cat5e (or better) ethernet through all wired links.
  2. What is the make/model of the ISP device?
  3. Have you speed tested while wired directly into the ISP device?
  4. Are you running your AmpliFi HD in default router mode or in AP mode?

1. As far as I know it is all Cat5e and intact. I even changed out the ethernet cable connecting the Amplifi to my PC.

2. Nighthawk 6-Stream Dual-Band WiFi 6 Router
3. I have and it gets higher speeds but less than half of what is being paid for, roughly 86 mb/s

4. I'm using the Amplifi app and only see "Bridge Mode" in the router mode settings. Should I turn this on? As far as I know most settings are default on the Amplifi Router.

5 minutes ago, rickeo said:

You hardwired yourself to the Netgear when you tested those speeds? Did you try different times of day? What about different test servers (assuming you're using speedtest.net) 

All of that plays a role in shared residential internet service. Busy times of day means you're going to see less speed, alternatively if the test server you're connecting too has a bad route, is overloaded or a combination, you'll see poor results. 

The hardwired speeds from the NETGEAR is roughly 86 mb/s which is less than half the 200 we pay for. Last I tried patching a game at like 4AM EST and I was getting the same speeds (About 10mb/s on a speed test, less on the actual game patch). I've tried ookla speedtest in multiple sites and theyre all consistently 10mb/s.

The other night I called verizon and they had me run their speed test. It was nearly 200 from "their servers" so they said it was my own problem. I am running it again and now its saying im getting 10mb/s on their speed test so perhaps I will give them another call.

1 minute ago, Benji said:

This doesn't happen to be a cable contract? But based on the upload speed, I assume it isn't DOCSIS but rather fiber. In which case you'll have a fiber modem because you can't just buy these IIRC.

What is the connection type? DSL? Cable? Fiber?

If cable, that doesn't surprise me because these are usually overbooked to the point at which you can be glad to be getting your full speed at any given time.

It should be fiber via Verizon FiOS

7 minutes ago, Free Napkins said:

It should be fiber via Verizon FiOS

So the ISP device is a FiOS unit?

Google reports multiple models of "Nighthawk 6-Stream Dual-Band WiFi 6 Router" and I'm not sure if any of them directly connect to fiber. Or is your fiber terminated at a cabinet then linked to your Nighthawk via ethernet?

6 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

So the ISP device is a FiOS unit?

Google reports multiple models of "Nighthawk 6-Stream Dual-Band WiFi 6 Router" and I'm not sure if any of them directly connect to fiber. Or is your fiber terminated at a cabinet then linked to your Nighthawk via ethernet?

Sorry I'm kind of a noobie at this stuff. I think this is the ISP Device

IMG_20210416_140953.jpg

The ISP device has to be a FiOS unit because no version of this router actually has an own modem, they all have a WAN port for connecting to an external modem.

In which case the issue is Verizon and their modem, not your router setup.

That's what I thought. And if I'm not mistaken, aren't these FiOS units also routers? So if not running in bridge mode the OP will have double NAT.

@Free NapkinsSo have you tested the speeds while directly wired to the FiOS unit?

3 minutes ago, Benji said:

Fiber modems usually are set up in a way to only go bridge mode because they have one Ethernet port and that's it, they're not made to be connected directly to a computer, but rather a router.

That thing looks like it has the fiber input on the right side somewhere behind the isolation and the one on the left is the one Ethernet port that goes out of it.

They are usually not made for this, but that's what I'd try first as well. Maybe that'll give a different result. If it doesn't, well, the issue is apparently on Verizon's side.

I called Verizon and I managed to get speeds of around 80mb/s which is much better but nowhere near the 200 I paid for. They are constantly blaming my "third party routers" which I know isn't an issue because at my last apartment I had verizon and had my full speed. I guess before I give up and just chalk it up to ISPs being ISPs, should I set my Amplifi Router to Bridge mode? any other settings I should set that weren't default?

Which is proof that they have options and are just lying idiots. But I guess there's nothing that you could do about it. Is it the same speed directly on your parent's router directly over Ethernet or does the issue just occur on your own access point?

After a few restarts on my Amplifi Router I was able to get similar speeds to my parents router. I guess I forgot to reboot my own router when I figured rebooting the main router was equivalent.

2 minutes ago, Benji said:

Ah, okay. So are you up to the full speed? Because fiber can't be overbooked and is basically a guaranteed speed like Ethernet.

No, only about half the speed. But I think 90ish mb/s is usable. I don't know how far I can get with Verizon as I've called them twice and all they do is try to sell me their routers.

Could you take a picture of your ONT? You took a photo of your power adapter for the ONT. It should be another black box if indoors or white box if outdoors. I wonder if you have the older ONT which I had which is limited to 100Mb/s on the Ethenrnet port. They had to upgrade mine since I'm on 150/150. 

1 hour ago, scottyseng said:

Could you take a picture of your ONT? You took a photo of your power adapter for the ONT. It should be another black box if indoors or white box if outdoors. I wonder if you have the older ONT which I had which is limited to 100Mb/s on the Ethenrnet port. They had to upgrade mine since I'm on 150/150. 

It is outside and its secured by several different screws/bolts. I'll need to find the tools to get it open but I will have my dad ask if this is a problem. I do know they replaced our old ONT years ago. Used to be an indoor one which I guess is why I took a picture of where the old one used to be. Forgot they installed the one outside. Thanks for the heads up.

Well this is a little embarrassing but I figured my dad was a little smarter than this. After I configured some stuff on the NETGEAR router we were getting great speeds. I go to check the switch he was using to send it across the house and he cheaped out on some $8 rinky dink switch that was bottle necking the hell out of every device that wasnt in the study room where the main router is. Thank you for all your help...I feel so dumb.