Is my new Amd 5950x CPU dead? Please help.

Hello dear Members. I'm trying to build my first ever Gaming setup. I was flashing BIOS of my Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master motherboard for a new Amd 5950x processor. After flashing to check whether the process was successful, I didn't put any thermal paste and cooler (The bracket of AIO Arctic cooler 420  was not fitting to my motherboard) on my CPU and booted up my motherboard. It ran for 10-15 seconds and then suddenly motherboard turned off. So I not sure of what happened again booted the motherboard. Now this time after 1-2 seconds it again turned off automatically. This I did for 2 more times and the same thing happened. Motherboard turned off automatically after 1-2 seconds. I then removed CPU from the socket and it was pretty hot. Has the above incident killed or has affected my CPU? During all these my motherboard was not in the cabinet with only RAM, CPU and Graphics card(Nvidia 1030 2GB) attached to it. Im not risking again to perform the mentioned above ordeal until the new bracket for my Arctic Cooler arrives and cant wait to know about the health of my CPU. Please help. Please guide.

I used the PSU (450 Watt) from my father's Computer. During all the mentioned above incidents before and after flashing BIOS, I didn't get any display. 

Thank you.

lol so many No No's there. 

The cooler won't handle that Cpu.

Always apply thermal paste. 

WTF with that PSU? lucky the board posted even 1-2 seconds.

You are very much going about this all wrong.

Possible the Cpu broke. It hit thermtrip temp 110c and shuts down.

This does NOT always save the Cpu, but in most circumstances, you wouldn't want to repeat the action well knowing you aren't moving BTU from the Cpu to the cooler in any meaningful way. 

Right now, from the post count above.... You are 1 in 5 chances the Cpu is F'ed if it no longer posts up.... which if you didn't ever make it to bios, have no idea if the flash is good or not.

Slap yourself on the hand for me. Make sure you feel it.

I don't think it's damaged (the thermal shutdown happens to protect the CPU) but you should check by properly getting the cooler attached and checking the system

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Fasauceome said:

I don't think it's damaged (the thermal shutdown happens to protect the CPU) but you should check by properly getting the cooler attached and checking the system

Not if you do it repeatedly.... and don't ask how I know....lol

Are you saying that you ran the CPU with no cooler at all? And with a random old power supply? Not a great way to treat some very expensive hardware. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

7 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Slap yourself on the hand for me. Make sure you feel it.

Did this thing first.

8 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

The cooler won't handle that Cpu.

Please suggest me a good cooler for my AMD 5950x.

10 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Possible the Cpu broke. It hit thermtrip temp 110c and shuts down.

This does NOT always save the Cpu, but in most circumstances, you wouldn't want to repeat the action well knowing you aren't moving BTU from the Cpu to the cooler in any meaningful way. 

How would the amount of damage that has been done to CPU?

If CPU is not dead will it be fine to use it?

3 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

Are you saying that you ran the CPU with no cooler at all? And with a random old power supply? Not a great way to treat some very expensive hardware. 

Yes I now understand that I have committed a blunder.

22 minutes ago, ethan_hunt007 said:

Please help. Please guide.

Do it properly next time, propper cooler, and propper PSU. 

Its probably "fine". Just dont go booting without a cooler next time. 

Just now, GoldenLag said:

Just dont go booting without a cooler next time. 

Not in this lifetime.

3 minutes ago, ethan_hunt007 said:

Did this thing first.

Please suggest me a good cooler for my AMD 5950x.

How would the amount of damage that has been done to CPU?

If CPU is not dead will it be fine to use it?

Well you still have quite a bit of money to spend, because I only recommend Custom Built water loops with expensive waterblocks that cost as much as most AIO systems.... eek. 

But this cooling would last you many years ahead while manufacturer's will update and ship updated mounting brackets for free because you're a kick ass customer.

The amount of damage = unknown.

RMA it. complaint = updated bios, board doesn't post. It's the truth. (so far)

Other suggestions:

I prefer nano diamond pastes, Antec Formula 7 to be precise.

PSU go big or stay home. My smallest in the house gaming rigs is 750w. Gold rating is good. 

8 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

The amount of damage = unknown.

RMA it. complaint = updated bios, board doesn't post. It's the truth. (so far)

Is there any possibility that the CPU is fine? Shall I really go for RMA?

1 minute ago, ethan_hunt007 said:

Is there any possibility that the CPU is fine? Shall I really go for RMA?

It shuts off to save it's self from literally melting solder points. Yes, RMA it.