Computer Name Changing

Annotation

how do i change the name of the drive name or whatever its called?

Screenshot 2021-04-14 140445.png

That should be your username. There's various articles on how to do that, the top answer on this MS forums thread has a simple breakdown of it here

Follow the steps provided below to change the username and check.

1. Press Windows key + X key.
  2. Click on Control Panel.
  3. Under view, select large icons.
  4. Go to User Account.
  5. Click on Manage another account.
  6. Select the User Account for which you want to select the password.
  7. Click on Change the username.
  8. Click on Change Name button.

Looks like you might have to make a throwaway admin account to log in to and change the name, it might not let you change a username for the user you're currently logged in as (in macOS you can change the username but the system account name stays the same and you do have to restart, I'm not as familiar with doing this in Windows as it just hasn't come up before). 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

i changed the name a while ago but it the original stuck and i cant get it to change

You need to create a new user.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

You need to create a new user.

what do i do after?

I had to do that before, you do need to create a new user and mess with the registry. Usually, unless you use a character that affects another program (I personally added an "!" instead of a "1", which messes with Java). What you do is you create that new user with full administrator access, then you log into that user and log out of the one you want to change. Go in and change the name of the user folder. Afterwards, head to the registry and modify the value "ProfileImagePath" to what you want the new user file location to be. the registry file is located in 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\<User SID>\

where <User SID> is the number that corresponds to the user you are referring to. There is a proper way to do it, but just into each one and looking for the one that has the directory you want to change is a lot easier. If you have any questions, feel free to message me

Source: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-client/user-profiles-and-logon/renaming-user-account-not-change-profile-path

48 minutes ago, Annotation said:

what do i do after?

You then make it an admin account and move everything there, then delete the other accountt.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

-> Moved to Windows

Not worth it. Its only showing in file paths anyway.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv