MB choice

Go to solution Solved by Bombastinator,
1 minute ago, TalkyRaptor said:

Two things I mean either the H470 Steep legend or the B560 Steel Legend and they are both basically the same size. The question I am asking is what chipset is better as I am new to pc building. 

Ah.  B is considered better than H. Neither are the top end which is Z. Only Z will allow overclocking.  There are some CPUs where people will suggest z instead of b even for non-k chips because of memory behavior.  Not too sure what the specific differences are between an H470 or a B560 would be.  That stuff tends to change along with processors.  The 4 instead of the 5 implies h470 is older than b560.  It’s not necessarily hard and fast though.   I haven’t had a lot of reason to pay much attention myself to the most recent iterations of intel stuff though so I can’t tell you off the top of my head.  Block diagrams might help.  They’re graphical representations of how various chipsets are laid out.  One thing to watch out for with intel is socket compatibility can be tight. 

I am going to build a new computer (I know bad idea right now) and am going to use a ASRock MB. Should I choose the H470 or B560 steel legend? Here is my hardware list:

CPU: core i5-11400

RAM: teamgroup T-Force Vulcan Z 8x2gb 3200 MHz

GPU: will be a RTX 3060 after prices fix themselves 

PSU: EVGA 500w 80+ Bronze

Case: Montech Air X black

Storage: 512gb SSD

Cooler: Thermaltake UX100

40 minutes ago, TalkyRaptor said:

I am going to build a new computer (I know bad idea right now) and am going to use a ASRock MB. Should I choose the H470 or B560 steel legend? Here is my hardware list:

CPU: core i5-11400

RAM: teamgroup T-Force Vulcan Z 8x2gb 3200 MHz

GPU: will be a RTX 3060 after prices fix themselves 

PSU: EVGA 500w 80+ Bronze

Case: Montech Air X black

Storage: 512gb SSD

Cooler: Thermaltake UX100

I see more builds called “steel legend” than I do h470.  There could be more than one “steel legend”though.  The question for me is which fits your use case better? 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

11 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I see more builds called “steel legend” than I do h470.  There could be more than one “steel legend”though.  The question for me is which fits your use case better? 

Two things I mean either the H470 Steel Legend or B560 Steel Legend The question I am asking is what chipset is better as I am new to pc building. My use case is 1080p gaming and went with ASRock because of the good budget MB with good RGB/ARGB support which I need for my case and my cooler.

Edited by TalkyRaptor
Spelling and Adding Details

1 minute ago, TalkyRaptor said:

Two things I mean either the H470 Steep legend or the B560 Steel Legend and they are both basically the same size. The question I am asking is what chipset is better as I am new to pc building. 

Ah.  B is considered better than H. Neither are the top end which is Z. Only Z will allow overclocking.  There are some CPUs where people will suggest z instead of b even for non-k chips because of memory behavior.  Not too sure what the specific differences are between an H470 or a B560 would be.  That stuff tends to change along with processors.  The 4 instead of the 5 implies h470 is older than b560.  It’s not necessarily hard and fast though.   I haven’t had a lot of reason to pay much attention myself to the most recent iterations of intel stuff though so I can’t tell you off the top of my head.  Block diagrams might help.  They’re graphical representations of how various chipsets are laid out.  One thing to watch out for with intel is socket compatibility can be tight. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

I Checked compatibility and the boards are the same price so I just wanted to know. Probably going to get the B560 then.

13 minutes ago, TalkyRaptor said:

I Checked compatibility and the boards are the same price so I just wanted to know. Probably going to get the B560 then.

The h series’s chipset is going to be cheaper than the b series chipset so if they cost the same it could be because the h series one is either popular enough to demand a premium of have better bits on it or something.  The H for example might have say, newer wifi bits or better ports or something.  It’s all about use case.  The H might be better for your use case if it has something the B board doesnt and you need it.  It’s possible the B board has better memory speed stuff for example which you might not need.  Without a use case I really can’t tell you much. I remember the b450 tomahawk Max was very well liked because it had good VRM so it could handle heavy duty chips and was cheap.  Part of what made it cheap though was It didn’t have wifi on it and adding a pcie board to it could produce issues because of the nature of b450.  It could still be done handily with USB though.

Edited by Bombastinator

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

The h series’s chipset is going to be cheaper than the b series chipset so if they cost the same it could be because the h series one is either popular enough to demand a premium of have better bits on it or something.  The H for example might have say, newer wifi bits or better ports or something.  It’s all about use case.  The H might be better for your use case if it has something the B board doesnt.  It’s possible the B board has better memory speed stuff for example which you might not need.  Without a use case I really can’t tell you much. I remember the b450 tomahawk Max was very well liked because it had good VRM so it could handle heavy duty chips and was cheap.  It didn’t have wifi on it though and adding a pcie board to it could produce issues because of the nature of b450

I get it thanks a lot! 

3 minutes ago, TalkyRaptor said:

I get it thanks a lot! 

I added more to that post after you wrote that I’m afraid.  

7 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I added more to that post after you wrote that I’m afraid.  

Three things: 

1: Buying without integrated WiFi 

2: Am not worried about pcie boards as I am only going to use one x16 slot for gpu and that is it.

3:Found out the b560 board has pcie 4.0 so I am going to get it as my board

13 minutes ago, TalkyRaptor said:

Three things: 

1: Buying without integrated WiFi 

2: Am not worried about pcie boards as I am only going to use one x16 slot for gpu and that is it.

3:Found out the b560 board has pcie 4.0 so I am going to get it as my board

if you are planing on overclocking, you are going to need to get a Z series board as the B series can not be overclocked

9 hours ago, tdkid said:

if you are planing on overclocking, you are going to need to get a Z series board as the B series can not be overclocked

I am not going to overclock, only going to use turbo and ASRock’s BFB.