1080ti crashing AFTER stress tests

Hocknose

I've had a ASUS Rog Strix 1080ti (non OC) for about 3.5 years. I've recently built a new PC and it has been completely stable for 3 months. In the last few weeks I started to get crashes where my screens would go black and the GPU fans would go to 100%. Windows was still running in the background but the PC would need to be hard reset.

I've performed a number of things to try and fix the issue:

• Replaced PSU

• Reinstalled older drivers via DDU

• Reinstalled Windows 10

• Cleaned and reapplied thermal paste to the GPU (GPU temps were not an issue but thought I would try it)

So after all these didn't help I took my base unit to a friends and we swapped out our 1080ti's and my GPU did the same crash in his build. This narrowed the issue down to it definitely being the GPU itself.

We did a number of stress tests on the GPU and what we found was that the GPU tended to crash most often just after the Stress test completed. We noticed this in:

• Furmark

• 3DMark

• OCCT

Its a strange issue because it doesn't crash at all at the height of the stress test but just after. Has anyone come across this issue before?

What does event viewer say? Does it bluescreen?

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

No never BSOD. Doesn't always show anything in event viewer but when it does I get:

Hardware Error

Problem Event Name:    LiveKernelEvent
Code:    117
Parameter 1:    ffffa70f17ec8460
Parameter 2:    fffff80363c83ee8
Parameter 3:    0
Parameter 4:    4dc
OS version:    10_0_19042
Service Pack:    0_0
Product:    256_1
OS Version:    10.0.19042.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID:    2057

That's a weird one, but it does seem like a power delivery issue to me, just on the card itself not psu or motherboard. 

Can you physically check the pcb of the card for any burnt signs, blown capacitors etc?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

That's a weird one, but it does seem like a power delivery issue to me, just on the card itself not psu or motherboard. 

Can you physically check the pcb of the card for any burnt signs, blown capacitors etc?

I think that will have to be my next thing to test, will try it tonight

I can't see anything that looks blown to me but I'm no expert. Took the card apart and gave it a good clean but still having issues

PSU's can do all sorts of things, if you can borrow another from a friend you can rule it out if you don't want to buy a replacement.

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

I've already swapped out the PSU on my own PC and I got the same failure in a friends PC. So I've tried it with 3 different PSU's now