Question about DDR and SDRAM.

Go to solution Solved by curiousmind34,

DDR3 is SDRAM, the thing you call RAM is just short for SDRAM

This is compared to DRAM, which exists in some ssds as a cache

Hello there! I’m looking to buy a new motherboard for a build at my dads house, so I already have a PSU, hard drive, case, cpu, graphics card, and ddr ram. The motherboard i’m looking to purchase is advertised as having DDR3 SDRAM compatibility. My 2 RAM sticks are DDR3, not DDR3 SDRAM. Will it be compatible with my motherboard, or no? If needed, the motherboard is an Asus H81M-C. Thanks in advance!

Edit: The pc is going to be extremely budget, and only used for extremely, *extremely* light gaming, since it has a Core i3-4150 and an Nvidia GTS-450.

9 minutes ago, curiousmind34 said:

Oh, now I feel like an idiot lol. Thank you!

10 minutes ago, AyeItsAxi said:

Hello there! I’m looking to buy a new motherboard for a build at my dads house, so I already have a PSU, hard drive, case, cpu, graphics card, and ddr ram. The motherboard i’m looking to purchase is advertised as having DDR3 SDRAM compatibility. My 2 RAM sticks are DDR3, not DDR3 SDRAM. Will it be compatible with my motherboard, or no? If needed, the motherboard is an Asus H81M-C. Thanks in advance!

Edit: The pc is going to be extremely budget, and only used for extremely, *extremely* light gaming, since it has a Core i3-4150 and an Nvidia GTS-450.

DDR 3 and DDR 3 SDRAM is the same thing. It used to be called SD-DDR3 in the past but nowadays people drop the prefix and just call it DDR3 instead. Same thing, don't get confused. What you need to look out for is ECC memory. Especially so called "buffered" or "registered" modules. Those won't work in your system.