Can any freesync display use gsync?

bungusboy81
Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,

You need to use DisplayPort.

I've got a freesync compatible display, but an nvidia card, and I wanted to know if I was able to use gsync on it. I know that there are specific monitors that are compatible with gsync, and I've also seen somewhere that gsync on a freesync display only has issues when it's a VA panel, and I have an IPS panel. Can someone clarify for me?

The monitor I have is an MSI Optix G241.

Thank you in advance!

Nvidia has updated their drivers to enable use of Freesync monitors since Jan 2019 as long as you have the most recent updates your monitor should be running Freesync on Nvidia drivers.

6 hours ago, Sabercbr929 said:

Nvidia has updated their drivers to enable use of Freesync monitors since Jan 2019 as long as you have the most recent updates your monitor should be running Freesync on Nvidia drivers.

Do I still need a displayport cable for it and do I have to enable gsync in the control panel or does it just work with freesync?

DP/HDMI both work with Gsync because Gsync matches your gpu's refresh rate to your monitor's refresh rate, but depending on which version of hdmi that your gpu and monitor support you could be limited in hz/fps.  DP generally will be better overall if you don't have HDMI 1.4 or better, also depending on what resolution your running,  you won't get the maximum FPS your screen can be refresh at.  HDMI 1.4 can only run 4k at 60hz max or 1080p at 144hz max,  but if your monitor supports HDMI 1.4 and also has DP output option, if you monitor is rated for 144hz refresh, you'll get a refresh rate cap of 144 hz in any upscaled resolution so long as your gpu has the horsepower.  Gsync should auto detect compatible monitors and enable automatically, but if you're not sure you can always check Nvidia control panel to see if Gsync is active with your monitor.  If you have Geforce experience installed you can apply optimized settings which should enable Gsync. 

10 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

You need to use DisplayPort.

Thank you, I've got a displayport cable ordered and on the way.