First PC build, Programming workstation (No GPU at the start)

luk321

Hello everybody,

currently I'm planning to invest into a new PC. This will be my first own build 🙂
Right now I'm using a Surface Pro 6 i5 8gb as my daily driver and "workstation". I bought the surface 2 years ago for studying and doing some mobile work.

The reasons for a PC are the following:

• The surface is (because of the current lockdowns) always connected to a dock and a monitor. I'm worried of the battery charging all the time.
  • On some huge workloads it's starting to struggle (for example Android Studio + Android Emulator + GIMP + Firefox). I'd love having a machine capable of running these smoothly together.
  • Being able to play some games more smoothly.

Budget (including currency): 800€ - 1200€ (Without GPU, Should be fine for at least 4-5 years)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for:

• Programming. Currently I'm working on Android Apps, Web Apps, and some Windows Tools. Therefore, it should run the IDE + Emulators or Software to Test and Debug
    IDEs I'm using: IntelliJ, Android Studio, VS 2019, VS Code.
    Creating Icons and smaller Images with GIMP should be possible at the same time 🙂
  • Some gaming. For most of the games I'm fine with my PS4 and the graphics it can handle:)
    Still, sometimes I do love playing strategy games (eg. CIV 6, Anno, and so on) or even some minecraft. But I'm not interested in high resolutions.. 60FPS with medium settings is enough for me 🙂

Parts List
Here is a part list I picked together: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/QDBn4d
grafik.thumb.png.ddc4d6ecfe18cf8d7af00096c5cd8946.png

Reasons for some choices:

• Intel CPU: In all of my past PCs, Laptops and so on they never disappointed me. Honestly this choice isn't all about the specs 😛 I'm fine with this one...
  • No GPU: Obviously because of the current prices... Therefore I do need some Integrated Graphics 🙂 I'm planning to buy a GPU for reasonable prices later - of course, gaming without one will be struggeling...
    Looking forward to a GTX 3060, maybe for Christmas?! 😞
  • Storage: I'm not sure with the choice, but I do want to have two cards. Having OS and programmes on one, and all data on the other already saved me a few times ^^ I'm fine with 1 - 2 TB combined.
  • Memory: Not sure with the choice. I'm aiming for 32GB. I've read splitting in 2x16 is better than splitting 4x8, because of better upgrade possibilities and error detection. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that point 😄
  • OS: I want to install Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit. I still have one unused key.
  • I'm not interested in RGB. If I can get better specs out of my money I'll be happy 😄

What I already have:

• Mouse, Keyboard and Sound (3,5mm)
  • One (23,8) QHD Monitor: Dell 24 Monitor: P2421D - I'm eventually planning of adding another one in the future.

Where I need some help:

• Is this motherboard an overkill? Are there better (cheaper) solutions? - Sadly not familiar with these... (I do need WIFI)
  • Are there better options for memory and storage choice?
  • Are these parts fitting together, and is this case big enough for them, or can I even switch to a smaller one? (a gpu will be added at some point)
  • Is cooling okay? The PC will sit next to my desc on the floor, so it will have enough air to breathe 🙂
  • Pretty naive question... But are cables send with the parts? Do I need some stuff for cable management?
  • Any other recommendations or tips?

Thanks for your support 😄

Overall looks good to me.

14 minutes ago, luk321 said:

Is this motherboard an overkill? Are there better (cheaper) solutions? - Sadly not familiar with these... (I do need WIFI)

Unless you'd be ok with either a PCIe or USB wifi card, I would stick with this mobo. It's possible you wouldn't save any money anyway (going with cheaper mobo + external wifi card).

15 minutes ago, luk321 said:

Are there better options for memory and storage choice?

Not 100% sure about RAM, it looks good to me but there may be better options. For storage you could consider going with a 500GB or so NVMe drive and a several TB hard drive, but you don't need to.

16 minutes ago, luk321 said:

Are these parts fitting together, and is this case big enough for them, or can I even switch to a smaller one? (a gpu will be added at some point)

I think it should be fine.

Is cooling okay? The PC will sit next to my desc on the floor, so it will have enough air to breathe

Maybe consider some extra case fans.

Pretty naive question... But are cables send with the parts? Do I need some stuff for cable management?

You will need zipties for cable management but even those are often included.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Instead of getting 2 sata ssds, get a significantly faster 2TB SN550 for less than 20 extra euros

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/zNK2FT/western-digital-blue-sn550-2-tb-m2-2280-nvme-solid-state-drive-wds200t2b0c

You can partition in software into two drives, but it also has the flexibility of becoming combined storage if you want.

I edited my list:

I switched out the memory. Costs a little less 🙂

I searched for cooling recommendations for this case... Installing 2 140mm Fans in Front, and one 140mm at the top gave some good results. (There is already a 120mm one installed at the back) - Thanks kelvinhall05

I switched to the NVME SSD with 2TB. It indeed has way better speed 🙂 Thanks curiousmind34