Is my 3070 dying?! artifacts on 2 day old card

AmyTheBun
Go to solution Solved by Jumballi,

I’ve had the space invader artifacting, it’s about the size of a small coin. What you’re seeing here is just how dlss blurs things to make it look better and then the normal zooming in artifacting.

So 2 days ago I had a god awful smart idea of purchasing a 3070 and thinking to my self "in just 6 months i'll pay the scapler portion of my card's price away if I mine with it, so I can have it for a normal price, plus I might make a profit" and bought this card for 1500$ and started mining with it while I'm not using it. (I was an utter moron for doing that btw... not only did I only after paying the dude realize that I supported scalpers, but I also realized I get no warranty and i realized that I'm hurting the environment with mining... but i'll stop after 6 months anyways)  while mining I get 65 degree max j temp and 55 GPU temp while mining at +1200mhz memory (which is normal for mining btw)).

Anyhow, I was playing with control and dlss and raytracing taking a million screenshots here and there comparing it, suddenly i noticed this on one of the screenshots and it reminded me of a gamer nexus video about second handed cards.

Screenshot_870.png?width=440&height=248

zoom in and you see strange crosses and like... space invaders?
is my card dying....? it had no warranty....

this was only visible in a screen screenshot with dlss on.

my dad paid for this card after I told him just how much money people are making mining.... so he'd be devastated if this died. 

TL;DR yes I'm stupid. but it wasn't on purpose 😐 but is it even faulty? i'm more worried about that. cause one person mining for 6 months isn't gonna destroy the environment overnight. I guess my lust for that sweet performance and dlss made me act dumb. Always wait a week or two before commuting to an expensive decision, but hopefully it's not dying right?

I’ve had the space invader artifacting, it’s about the size of a small coin. What you’re seeing here is just how dlss blurs things to make it look better and then the normal zooming in artifacting.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

normal, its the graphics optimization trying to put it as smooth as possible

5 minutes ago, AmyTheBun said:

zoom in and you see strange crosses and like... space invaders?

Nope,  neither.  No space invaders! 

6 minutes ago, AmyTheBun said:

one person mining for 6 months isn't gonna destroy the environment overnight

This is a weird statement when you know hundreds of thousands people or more do exactly the same,  because that's were it stops being "one person".

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

49 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

That's amazing thanks ^~^

45 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Nope,  neither.  No space invaders! 

This is a weird statement when you know hundreds of thousands people or more do exactly the same,  because that's were it stops being "one person".

II know! But this is considering that I already made the initial decision while forgetting to consider the environment. I'd I hadn't already done it I'd agree that it's each person thinking "it doesn't add up" that adds things up. However I already spent a ton of money and I guess that changes the situation you know?

I think my health and money in a situation like this is more important. 1500$ is no joke for me. And yes I'll spend more time thinking next time. I usually don't make stupid decision I just got so hyped with everything >.< Oh well no reason to dwell on my mistake when I already learnt my lesson

3 minutes ago, AmyTheBun said:

I'd agree that it's each person thinking "it doesn't add up" that adds things up.

Yeah, well, I was just pointing that out,  because I see this a lot and it's of course exactly why the environment is in the dire state it is, and it's only going to get worse frome here on out!

5 minutes ago, AmyTheBun said:

Oh well no reason to dwell on my mistake when I already learnt my lesson

At least you didn't buy a oil platform!

🤣

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, AmyTheBun said:

. not only did I only after paying the dude realize that I supported scalpers, but I also realized I get no warranty and i realized that I'm hurting the environment with mining...

lmao only snobs care because you shouldn't.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

We're all responsible for the environment; obviously ALL of us are willing to some extent to sacrifice it for our own comfort and convenience (HVAC, hot showers, powerful computers, etc) and everyone has their reasons.

It's no more noble to criticize others for their personal reasons for what they do when it's almost 100% certain that the person criticizing them also has their own personal compass on what is considered acceptable hydrocarbon expenditure for their conveniences, but I think it's also kind of a silly point to deny that the damage happens.

Yes, millions of people mining if only for a few months impacts the environment. Yes, it also can be justifiable. 

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

14 hours ago, LOST TALE said:

lmao only snobs care because you shouldn't.

I disagree.

We're all responsible for things like that.

you can't expect change and a better world without caring or putting in the effort.

12 hours ago, Mister Woof said:

We're all responsible for the environment; obviously ALL of us are willing to some extent to sacrifice it for our own comfort and convenience (HVAC, hot showers, powerful computers, etc) and everyone has their reasons.

It's no more noble to criticize others for their personal reasons for what they do when it's almost 100% certain that the person criticizing them also has their own personal compass on what is considered acceptable hydrocarbon expenditure for their conveniences, but I think it's also kind of a silly point to deny that the damage happens.

Yes, millions of people mining if only for a few months impacts the environment. Yes, it also can be justifiable. 

I'm personally not a fan of mining. not only does it hurt the environment but it's the type of thing that makes the rich richer.

there's far better methods available for safe transactions there's lots of other non-minable crypto that are more efficient, cheaper and faster anyways.

I understand why some people have issues with the country based currencies and banks and I agree myself. but bitcoin and Ethereum's solution is far worse AFAIK? keep in mind I'm not a crypto expert it's just from what I know, there's stuff like dash/Ripple/nano etc that are faster etc.

well overall i'm just happy my card is fine 😄

On 4/8/2021 at 5:37 AM, AmyTheBun said:

I disagree.

We're all responsible for things like that.

you can't expect change and a better world without caring or putting in the effort.

Only a worse world will come out of willful ignorance and snobbery

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.