2060 Super hits hot spot temp of 104C, but 70C avg, help?

electrino

Hello,

So my GPU started throttling quite a bit even though the temps were showing 70C, then after observing my temps in HWiNFO, i've discovered that the hot spot hits it's limit at 104C. I have even set my power limit to the minimum (71% in MSI Afterburner, or 72% in the Nvidia Performance thingy) - results are the same.

Before that, my avg. temps were never exceeding 75C, even those were the extreme cases - normally the GPU ran at 71-72C. With the limit above, it barely even went into 60C territory. 

Yes, i've cleaned the dust.

Yes, the fans are spinning and working as intended.

No, i didn't disassemble it. It's still under warranty, but i have neither time, nor possibility to send it over to the service center (no one deals with this kind of hardware locally either - rural Ukraine is rural).

Any thoughts and possibly fixes? I'm very worried it'll die on me soon with these hot spot temps. 

Annotation 2021-04-07 193702.png

4 minutes ago, electrino said:

Hello,

So my GPU started throttling quite a bit even though the temps were showing 70C, then after observing my temps in HWiNFO, i've discovered that the hot spot hits it's limit at 104C. I have even set my power limit to the minimum (71% in MSI Afterburner, or 72% in the Nvidia Performance thingy) - results are the same.

Before that, my avg. temps were never exceeding 75C, even those were the extreme cases - normally the GPU ran at 71-72C. With the limit above, it barely even went into 60C territory. 

Yes, i've cleaned the dust.

Yes, the fans are spinning and working as intended.

No, i didn't disassemble it. It's still under warranty, but i have neither time, nor possibility to send it over to the service center (no one deals with this kind of hardware locally either - rural Ukraine is rural).

Any thoughts and possibly fixes? I'm very worried it'll die on me soon with these hot spot temps. 

Annotation 2021-04-07 193702.png

your in ukraine, let the cold do its work

as to your problem, all i could suggest is capping fps, turning off anythign unnessecery, checking drivers, bios, check all settings, and running a stress test

ill research about it

It's not gonna be cold for much longer 😄

Even then, 71% power limit, fps capped to 120, look at the Utilization and Power. It's not normal, at all.

LeUlAED.png

It's a risk at voiding the warranty, but, you might have to disassemble the heatsink from the GPU and re-apply thermal grease to it.

I must admit, that's a tough call to make.

• Void warranty while to save the card
  • Keep the warranty and risk killing the card, then having to go through the RMA process from your location

🤔🤷‍♂️

Oof, yeah. Didn't want to remove the heatsink just yet, so i've removed and put back the fans (just in case, idk), and tightened all other screws (some were kind of loose apparently). It got better (doesn't hit that 104C hot spot anymore), but not as cool as it used to be, so yeah i think thermal grease would do the trick. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Did new thermal compound do the trick? Also can it be that you have the MSI Gaming Z/X edition?