Motherboard comparison

Good day everyone!

I wanted to get a discussion going regarding the primary differences between x570 and b550 motherboards, for AMD Chipsets/AM4 sockets. I am looking to upgrade to a new desktop (over the coming year) and wanted to see which is the way to go. I really just want the best one for the future. While price point is not a huge concern, I still wanted to be an informed consumer and not overpay for "stuff" that I wont use. That said, I do know a few difference already:

- The x570 boards are the "higher tier" boards as compared to the b550's.

- The x570's are generally more expensive than the b550 boards

- The x570's have pci express gen 4 bi-link between the GPU and chipset (allowing for more features like extra m.2s, etc.)

- The x570's will support previous gen sockets (which isn't relevant to me as I am buying the 5000 series chipset)...so b550 seems to be okay there as well

- The b550's port MOST of the main features from the x570 board down to a lower price point.

Basically...it doesn't seem like there are any real limitations to the b550 boards (outside of one less m.2 slot and the gen 3 for pci express) AND the x570 doesnt look as necessary. So the question remains "WHY X570 over B550 boards?" 

Thanks

Don't forget to quote me (or someone else), otherwise we aren't going to receive your answers...

~Jano

x570 boards are usually higher quality components so if you are buying a higher end CPU then buying a higher end motherboard will be better because they will have better power delivery components and heat dissipation on the VRM and MOSFETS. so if you are buying the 5600x then b550 is fine. if you are buying 5900x then x570 is better but b550 will still work

Basically it depends on how much money you want to drop.  X570 is more flexible, but it’s more flexible because it’s better at taking expansion cards.  Expansion cards cost money.   If you’re willing to drop $400+ on a motherboard x570 starts to be a better long term board than b550.  If you’re not though you can get newer ports on a b550 for less money. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Thanks to you both! Yes, I will be buying the 5900X

Don't forget to quote me (or someone else), otherwise we aren't going to receive your answers...

~Jano

10 minutes ago, The_Vaccine said:

x570 boards are usually higher quality components so if you are buying a higher end CPU then buying a higher end motherboard will be better because they will have better power delivery components and heat dissipation on the VRM and MOSFETS. so if you are buying the 5600x then b550 is fine. if you are buying 5900x then x570 is better but b550 will still work

They CAN have worse ones though.  The cheaper x570 boards are lower quality than some b450 boards.  Basically the deal is they’re not so far apart that you can make a determination on chipset alone.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.