Black Screen Crash in 4K

ASUS TUF Z490 Plus(wifi) 

32 GB TridentZ 3000hz

MSI 6800XT Gaming X Trio

i7-10700k

CORSAIR RM750 WATT 80 GOLD

For some reason when I play games at 4K resolution I get Black Screen crashes, sometimes with fans ramped to max sometimes no fans. Only way to recover is a Hard Shutdown. All games are stable at 1080p and 1440p. 

Temps seem fine at time of crashes: CPU(35-45C) GPU(65-70C) monitored by MSI Afterburn.

Games Crashed:CyberPunk2077, Witcher 3, Mass Effect Andromeda, Magic: Legend, Horizon Zero Dawn

No Crash: Borderlands 3 and Star Wars: Fallen Order

Is anyone else having this same issue/Any known fixes?

Thank you for your time in advance. 🙂

2 hours ago, LABNERD86 said:

ASUS TUF Z490 Plus(wifi) 

32 GB TridentZ 3000hz

MSI 6800XT Gaming X Trio

i7-10700k

CORSAIR RM750 WATT 80 GOLD

For some reason when I play games at 4K resolution I get Black Screen crashes, sometimes with fans ramped to max sometimes no fans. Only way to recover is a Hard Shutdown. All games are stable at 1080p and 1440p. 

Temps seem fine at time of crashes: CPU(35-45C) GPU(65-70C) monitored by MSI Afterburn.

Games Crashed:CyberPunk2077, Witcher 3, Mass Effect Andromeda, Magic: Legend, Horizon Zero Dawn

No Crash: Borderlands 3 and Star Wars: Fallen Order

Is anyone else having this same issue/Any known fixes?

Thank you for your time in advance. 🙂

How did you connect ur 6800xt. did u use one cable or two ? Maybe try two if u only used one. Ur card needs power. And since it works fine in lower resolution maybe there is the problem ?

The GPU is being powered by two 8 pin connectors I have removed and reseated both and the problem presists.

Did I misinterpret your meaning?

So far blowing away Adrenaline2020 and installing the video driver without it is the answer. I will wait a few days playing the most crashable games before I call this a fix. 

Watch video for the how to:

• 2 months later...
On 4/8/2021 at 6:24 AM, LABNERD86 said:

So far blowing away Adrenaline2020 and installing the video driver without it is the answer. I will wait a few days playing the most crashable games before I call this a fix. 

I got the exact same issue, did you manage to fix it with this?

On 4/8/2021 at 6:24 AM, LABNERD86 said:

OMG thank you so much... I did this and so far it didn't crash! (testing for 10 minutes now, usually it crashed instantly). Will let it run the whole day now to confirm! but seems like the driver is just fucked in combination with specific hardware..

• 1 year later...

It's crazy that this solved my issue.

I was seeing black screen and where I'd have to restart but it would restart with failed drivers like the gpu had gone into limp mode..

I decided to use this install drivers method  after I run DDU which is supposed to remove everything amd related..

This was happening to me when I was playing SOME games in 4k not all just some and it was always the same games that would cause it. 

I have a 5800x and a 6800xt with 32gb 3600mhz ram msi tomahawk mobo and 1000w corsair PSU.

My brain would like to think that this is gone forever but maybe the software causes certain boundaries in hardware limitations/instabilities to be obvious.  We shall see.

Ps I know this is an old friend but it SEOs well and I want people to know that it's still relevant today!