Acceptable GPU Sag?

Apollyon2020

I've been trying to get the card level, but it's not working out. I'm using V1 Tech acrylic GPU support, and it seems it's not able to hold the card up properly. This is the best that I can do. It's slightly off level. Is this acceptable? Like I mean, there won't be any damage?  I lifted the card up with the leveler on the backplate, trying to get it level. The moment I let go, the GPU support lowered a bit due to the weight of the card.

166828400_822005265070101_9102431804236428206_n.jpg

CC an you take a picture with more to see?

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

I do think that's acceptable. Don't have a 3000 card myself, but a 1080 and I noticed that when it's sagging it also tends to get a bit looser from the PCIe slot due to the sag.

Since you use an acrylic GPU holder, I think it's too have for a 3090. I have the EVGA 3080 in person and it's a really heavy card. You might need a metal GPU bracket holder or one of those GPU holders that looks like a small tower. Another thing that could help is managing your power cables so they pull the GPU up a bit.

Just now, HelpfulTechWizard said:

CC an you take a picture with more to see?

What do you mean??

Just now, Apollyon2020 said:

What do you mean??

Like the whole inside of the case.

It's hard to tell if it's sagging to much without the case being visible.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, FRD said:

I do think that's acceptable. Don't have a 3000 card myself, but a 1080 and I noticed that when it's sagging it also tends to get a bit looser from the PCIe slot due to the sag.

Since you use an acrylic GPU holder, I think it's too have for a 3090. I have the EVGA 3080 in person and it's a really heavy card. You might need a metal GPU bracket holder or one of those GPU holders that looks like a small tower. Another thing that could help is managing your power cables so they pull the GPU up a bit.

I might honestly order a metal support instead. I like this V1 Tech support, but it seems the 3090 is just too heavy. It's pretty noticeable like I said once I lift the card up and when I see it level. The moment I let go, the support shifts downwards due to the weight lol

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Like the whole inside of the case.

It's hard to tell if it's sagging to much without the case being visible.

166991646_738304770218833_3175889271734533572_n.jpg

You can see it slightly sagging where the leveler is showing it

3 minutes ago, Apollyon2020 said:

I might honestly order a metal support instead. I like this V1 Tech support, but it seems the 3090 is just too heavy. It's pretty noticeable like I said once I lift the card up and when I see it level. The moment I let go, the support shifts downwards due to the weight lol

Good plan. From the pic doesn't even look that bad, I even think my lighter card has more sag and it's only been in my motherboard since last December.

Yeah, I think the acrylic holder just doesn't cut it. The 3090 is really a heavy card. I do think a metal support will make the difference if it's held in place on the right spot.

Just now, FRD said:

Good plan. From the pic doesn't even look that bad, I even think my lighter card has more sag and it's only been in my motherboard since last December.

Yeah, I think the acrylic holder just doesn't cut it. The 3090 is really a heavy card. I do think a metal support will make the difference if it's held in place on the right spot.

Yeah that's the issue... This EVGA cards heatsink is a pain. There is somewhat of a drop in the heatsink design and that drop leads to the fans. So I literally have to place the support in a spot where it won't slide into the fan lol. I wonder what support is good for this card... hmmm

Now that I see the pic again, you can see the sag from the M.2 heatsink above the card lol. Meh...

I noticed my Phantek case had a anti sag accessory that I did not install. Just installed it and it seemed to improve the sag. Not perfect, but better. I basically lifted the card and screwed the 2 thumb screws tight (anti sag accessory). Then I tightened the 2 screws that hold the card in place. Not bad no?

166796603_3853535271389997_3001202666387903242_n.jpg

All things considered, even your pre-case accessory sag was pretty much as good as you could hope for, especially given that your card is an absolute chonker. Besides, anything is better than my old setup where it stopped working entirely if you tried to un-sag it.

NSFW warning (also don't be fooled, it's an XFX card with an MSI cooler slapped on, but the sag is still almost entirely the coolers fault for not bracing shit much at all)

Spoiler

GVeNOrrUg6rFDvg7kfFsttBDVRIUtl786xtLuQe3DJc.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=8347059a697ea8dc201916109b1aa4f54035c562

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

8 hours ago, flibberdipper said:

All things considered, even your pre-case accessory sag was pretty much as good as you could hope for, especially given that your card is an absolute chonker. Besides, anything is better than my old setup where it stopped working entirely if you tried to un-sag it.

NSFW warning (also don't be fooled, it's an XFX card with an MSI cooler slapped on, but the sag is still almost entirely the coolers fault for not bracing shit much at all)

Hide contents

GVeNOrrUg6rFDvg7kfFsttBDVRIUtl786xtLuQe3DJc.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=8347059a697ea8dc201916109b1aa4f54035c562

Holy hell that is some sag for sure. So it wouldn't work if you straighten it out? Damnnnn

When I installed that accessory yesterday, I unscrewed the thumb screws holding the video card in place. I assume that's how the install was suppose to work? So when I lifted the card a bit and screwed those 2 thumb screws seen in the instructions... Once that was tight, I then tighten the thumbscrews holding the card in place inside the case. The instructions didn't explain too well, so I assume that's how you do it lol. Considering the card is heavy, I used a screw driver to snug up the thumb screws. I'm sure tightening it with just my fingers wasn't going to be tight enough to hold this beast in place lol

Seems like you managed to fix the problem for most part by yourself. Nice coincidence on finding out about your case.

If you're interested, Jayztwocents ever made a video too about a case "hack" to make your gpu sag less. Maybe interesting to watch as it's an unusual way to fix it.

7 minutes ago, FRD said:

Seems like you managed to fix the problem for most part by yourself. Nice coincidence on finding out about your case.

If you're interested, Jayztwocents ever made a video too about a case "hack" to make your gpu sag less. Maybe interesting to watch as it's an unusual way to fix it.

Yeah I never knew this case had this anti sag thing on the back of the case. I came across this when I searched around and someone mentioned about Phantek including an accessory. So I checked the manual to my case and I had it lol. It helped a lot actually. I had to make sure I snug up the thumb screws with a screw driver however. This card is heavy lol

19 hours ago, Apollyon2020 said:

I've been trying to get the card level, but it's not working out. I'm using V1 Tech acrylic GPU support, and it seems it's not able to hold the card up properly. This is the best that I can do. It's slightly off level. Is this acceptable? Like I mean, there won't be any damage?  I lifted the card up with the leveler on the backplate, trying to get it level. The moment I let go, the GPU support lowered a bit due to the weight of the card.

166828400_822005265070101_9102431804236428206_n.jpg

That's not bad, unless it really bothers you an anti-sag bracket should help the appearance. I doubt that will cause any wear or damage.

I built a PC for my sister-in-law and the GPU plates were so flimsy, it sagged in 2 directions.