280MM AIO/Air Recommendations for 5600x?

Go to solution Solved by catto-nippu,

Arcitc increased the warranty from 2 years to 6 years (applies retroactively as well).

Extended Warranty Period for All Liquid Freezer II Coolers / ARCTIC Blog

I've been considering an upgrade of my AIO for a little while now and I need some help making a decision.

For some background, I have a 5600x that I want to mildly to moderately overclock. Nothing super crazy. I will be upgrading a case fan or two as well to keep the system as quiet and cool as possible.

My Priorities for an AIO:

• Quiet - def at the top of the list. My corsair cooler was way too loud, regardless of fan curve.
  • Cool - my corsair cooler was also a little hot running my 4790k, though I know the 4790k was a hotter chip.
  • Warranty - it has to be good. No less than 3 years. I want to keep my cooler running as long as possible. Corsair has a 5 year warranty, the closer to 5 year I can get the less worried I'll be.
  • RGB - the space around my cpu socket has been missing some lighting effects since I put the stock AM4 cooler on. A nice to have, but not a deal breaker.

Here's where I'm at:

Option 1) Keep what I have

• My H115i is on the older end of the spectrum; hit it's 5th bday not too long ago. I think it would be a good candidate for reuse, but I'm apprehensive. I was overlooking a 4790k that admittedly wasn't very stable and at idle ran pretty hot. The cooler is now out of warranty, it's not AM4 compatible currently, and the fans are loud as hell. Grabbing an AM4 bracket and some quieter fans would be good, but would also get me close to my new AIO price bracket ($90-$150 USD). Let's say the price for fans and a bracket isn't close to my new AIO price range, the fact that the cooler is out of warranty worries me. Am I overthinking here?

Option 2) New 280MM AIO

• I've been looking at new coolers and I'm intrigued by the options, but I haven't seen enough data on some of these coolers to make a good/informed purchase decision.
  • There's a LOT of data on the Arctic LFii 280 and I'm impressed by the results. However, the warranty concerns me. 1-2 year warranty isn't going to cut it for me personally.
  • NZXT Kraken coolers have always been old reliable, but I'm not stoked to jump into CAM software again. Has it improved at all? Is the high(er) price tag worth it?
  • The new BeQuiet Pure Loop coolers look interesting as well. Not stoked on the warranty length, but I could live with a 3 year warranty considering it's competitors and it's included fill port. My only concern is I haven't seen enough data to verify is performance platform to platform.
  • EVGA CLC 280mm is the cheapest cooler and has the longest warranty of the options I've seen. I haven't seen enough data comparing it to the AIOs above. Can anyone attest to it's noise levels and cooling potential?

Option 3) Go for air?

• My last option to consider is to go for an air cooler that with keep everything cool and quiet. As long as it can fit in a Phanteks P400s and doesn't get close to my $90-$150 price range for an AIO, I'm happy.

Definitely a long post, but I wanted to included as much detail of my scenario as possible. The less questions other members have to ask, the quicker I get the answers I need. I appreciate the help ahead of time!

Thanks,

Aaron

Go for air, you don't need an AIO for that CPU. I retired my H100 after 4 years use on a hexacore, and I gave it to my brother to run on his quad. It didn't do very well and he replaced it with a DRP4. Works good for him.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

Could always go with the EK 280 as well or the LianLi Gallahad as well. Both are great fantastic options as well. 

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-aio-280-d-rgb

I still think the best is the Arctic LF2 280, despite its shorter warranty. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

2 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Could always go with the EK 280 as well or the LianLi Gallahad as well. Both are great fantastic options as well. 

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-aio-280-d-rgb

I still think the best is the Arctic LF2 280, despite its shorter warranty. 

Definitely adding the EK to the list! A little too much RGB for my liking (moreso the fans than the block) but the price and the warranty are just right. Thanks!

4 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Go for air, you don't need an AIO for that CPU. I retired my H100 after 4 years use on a hexacore, and I gave it to my brother to run on his quad. It didn't do very well and he replaced it with a DRP4. Works good for him.

The DRP4 is a cooler I considered, but the price is too close to the price of an AIO.

I guess I could be convinced that I don't need an AIO.

I see you're running a LeGrand Macho. How's that been treating you?

21 minutes ago, _DeXTeR_ said:

Thanks!

The AORUS looks to be out of my price range and the link for the EK doesn't seem to have a 280 option. 280 is what I'm looking for, no more no less.

51 minutes ago, FREExMIND said:

The DRP4 is a cooler I considered, but the price is too close to the price of an AIO.

I guess I could be convinced that I don't need an AIO.

I see you're running a LeGrand Macho. How's that been treating you?

AIO is junk man. Do you know how much liquid is in one? Maybe a half a can of beer.. big maybe. Guys who run full on loops top up every 6 months, because permeation. How do you top up a sealed AIO without borking your warranty?

My LGMRT is fantastic, better than the AIO it replaced. I also have a True Spirit 140 Power, Ultra 120 Extreme, and I just ordered the new Frost Commander. 

I am massive Thermalright fanboy, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I have owned Noctua too, but that hype train derailed for me years ago.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

3 hours ago, freeagent said:

AIO is junk man. Do you know how much liquid is in one? Maybe a half a can of beer.. big maybe. Guys who run full on loops top up every 6 months, because permeation. How do you top up a sealed AIO without borking your warranty?

My LGMRT is fantastic, better than the AIO it replaced. I also have a True Spirit 140 Power, Ultra 120 Extreme, and I just ordered the new Frost Commander. 

I am massive Thermalright fanboy, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I have owned Noctua too, but that hype train derailed for me years ago.

I will admit I like the all black aesthetic so I would've gone with a DRP4. I'm just not sure if it would fit in my case. I wouldn't have spent more for the Noctua if they performed about the same.

2 hours ago, narrdarr said:

my top picks are 

ek aio 280

phantek 280 glacier one mp

I didn't know Phanteks offered one. Thanks for the suggestion!

6 hours ago, freeagent said:

The Be Quiet comes with a fill port and extra coolant which I like.

10 hours ago, FREExMIND said:

I didn't know Phanteks offered one. Thanks for the suggestion!

phantek came out with one at the beginning of the year. so you not going find much when it it comes to reviews.  however I bought one. 

it uses asetek newest pump. gen 7. first couple boots you'll hear some pump noise but it goes away. personally it the quietest asetek pump. I never hear now even at 100% pump speed. the fan are phanteks traditional mp fans. they are mid/high end fans with great static, high airflow, and low noise. I have used them in many builds and are one of my favorites. the blocks rgb is super nice. as far as fan rgb, the fans come with halos. which is a rgb fan cover. they do look really with smooth lighting. they only negative is the light bleeds between the halos frame an the fans. you would think they within their own eco system things would be seamless. but it not. it's not that big of deal just being picky

• 2 weeks later...

Ultimately decided to go with the Arctic Freezer II 280! Thanks to everyone who replied.