Water cooled triple 3080 Build.

Hill160881
Go to solution Solved by Hill160881,

So the point was to build a silent 300MH/s rig but since water cooling another system now it’s about the temps. 

Case: Fractal Define 7XL

Board: Gigabyte b550 Vision D

Chip: 4650g 

Ram: Some cheap 3600mhz 16gb(2x8) 

Boot: Some cheap m.2 nvme ssd. 
PSU: Supernova 80+ platinum 1200

GPUs: 3 Gigabyte Aorus master 3080

Cooling: 2 420mm radiator with 6 140mm Nactua 2000rpm fans. 3 Alphacool gpu water blocks. Ekwb cpu block. Thermaltake tank/D5 pump combo. Flex tubing with fittings. 
Screen: 7” touch mounted to unit. 

This is obviously a mining rig.  So to explain the why and what, I used the 4650g because it has built in graphics to run the 7” touch screen and will allow the GPUs to mine untouched by the system interaction. Why AMD? Power use simple. This chip will mine full tilt at 7-10 watts. Why this board? I like it. Why the ram choice? It does not matter. Why the ssd choice? Again it does not matter. Why the psu? It matters lol. Why the Arous master gpu? Why not? At these prices you can some bad ass GPUs since they are all the same price.

The reason I chose to water cool? Simple. I water cooled my 2080super and my 2080ti and they went from 100c to 65c with a 1000mhz overclock on the memory. That’s a huge difference in hash rate. Almost 40%. To be clear I have to detune the GPUs on air by 40 to 50 percent to keep them under 100c. On water I can overclock by 10-15 percent above stock limits. It’s huge. 

I am putting together a video or two of the process. It’s going to be a long build at least two months long as I am waiting on water blocks from two different makers. 

please understand I am not computer literate so please forgive if I get what I am trying to say wrong. I just build shit lol. Other family members make it work. 

So the point was to build a silent 300MH/s rig but since water cooling another system now it’s about the temps. 

Case: Fractal Define 7XL

Board: Gigabyte b550 Vision D

Chip: 4650g 

Ram: Some cheap 3600mhz 16gb(2x8) 

Boot: Some cheap m.2 nvme ssd. 
PSU: Supernova 80+ platinum 1200

GPUs: 3 Gigabyte Aorus master 3080

Cooling: 2 420mm radiator with 6 140mm Nactua 2000rpm fans. 3 Alphacool gpu water blocks. Ekwb cpu block. Thermaltake tank/D5 pump combo. Flex tubing with fittings. 
Screen: 7” touch mounted to unit. 

This is obviously a mining rig.  So to explain the why and what, I used the 4650g because it has built in graphics to run the 7” touch screen and will allow the GPUs to mine untouched by the system interaction. Why AMD? Power use simple. This chip will mine full tilt at 7-10 watts. Why this board? I like it. Why the ram choice? It does not matter. Why the ssd choice? Again it does not matter. Why the psu? It matters lol. Why the Arous master gpu? Why not? At these prices you can some bad ass GPUs since they are all the same price.

The reason I chose to water cool? Simple. I water cooled my 2080super and my 2080ti and they went from 100c to 65c with a 1000mhz overclock on the memory. That’s a huge difference in hash rate. Almost 40%. To be clear I have to detune the GPUs on air by 40 to 50 percent to keep them under 100c. On water I can overclock by 10-15 percent above stock limits. It’s huge. 

I am putting together a video or two of the process. It’s going to be a long build at least two months long as I am waiting on water blocks from two different makers. 

please understand I am not computer literate so please forgive if I get what I am trying to say wrong. I just build shit lol. Other family members make it work. 

On 4/7/2021 at 7:38 AM, Sir_Zeke said:

Waste of energy.

If it’s not for you then move along. 

On 4/7/2021 at 12:31 PM, RollinLower said:

ooh, that's already turning out pretty sick! 

i'll definitely be following along for this one 🙂

Thanks. I am still waiting on the waterblocks but hopefully they arrive soon and I can bottom this up. 

• 2 weeks later...

Water blocks arrived, assuming they fit properly and work I should have this thing finished this weekend. Should I use white liquid or just clear water?

Use clear LC coolant like Double Protect Ultra - it can work maintenance free for up to 2 years as I've seen on another forums. Dont use anything with dye as it will gunk your loop and dont use clear water (distilled water) without any sort of growth killing solution. I suppose you don't care about looks, if you do then go with Aquacomputer DP Ultra or Maychems dyed coolants. 

6 hours ago, a.kei said:

Use clear LC coolant like Double Protect Ultra - it can work maintenance free for up to 2 years as I've seen on another forums. Dont use anything with dye as it will gunk your loop and dont use clear water (distilled water) without any sort of growth killing solution. I suppose you don't care about looks, if you do then go with Aquacomputer DP Ultra or Maychems dyed coolants. 

I want white but don’t want to have to change and clean the system out so often. I may just break down and get a white coolant anyway. 

1 minute ago, a.kei said:

Just don't go with Thermalfake coolant (they are extremely bad) or any questionable brand. I would use Maychems Pastel or XTR coolant if you can find one.

I'm not a big fan of pastel fluids at all. I used to run blue pastel in a build a few years back and I wasn't happy with the fallout. 

I'm now using distilled water with a touch of biocide in all my water-cooled systems.

I have always used distilled water with a biocide with a up purple dye and nothing else. Many years with no issues. However I want this system clean not flashy and want white but understand the issues with pigment. I have not decided as yet but Saturday is the final assembly day assuming everything works as it should. 

Today I made some decent progress.  I was sure I had enough fittings but I am short 2 barb fittings and 4 double female g1/4 fittings. Fuck!🔨🔨🔨

Anyway I wa sable to get most of the test fitting. All that’s left is a few fittings and to connect the gpu blocks. By Tuesday it should be all buttoned up. Yea I will be removing the brown pads on the fans 🤦🏼

I like clean and as few loose wires and hoses as possible and it’s turning out pretty clean and tite. 

02119455-CF32-4B34-ADFE-9215F75FFCEB.jpeg

D8D019CC-B2F0-4AE6-9717-94605ABE3326.jpeg

742E7B97-AD53-4A7B-848B-01DAB04D07CF.jpeg

FADF621B-0F0D-42F4-92CE-B8DCE47403CF.jpeg

On the water loop, should I run parallel or series on the GPUs?  I think I should go with parallel but I have read it does not really matter. Any thoughts?

On 4/26/2021 at 4:03 AM, Hill160881 said:

On the water loop, should I run parallel or series on the GPUs?  I think I should go with parallel but I have read it does not really matter. Any thoughts?

shouldn;t really matter that much, both have their pro's and cons.

for serial, the last GPU in the loop will get the hottest water, so will probably run a bit hotter.

for parallel, all gpu's split the flow so they all get about 1/3rd of the water. shouldn;t really matter but maybe you need to run the pump like 10% higher.

4 hours ago, RollinLower said:

shouldn;t really matter that much, both have their pro's and cons.

for serial, the last GPU in the loop will get the hottest water, so will probably run a bit hotter.

for parallel, all gpu's split the flow so they all get about 1/3rd of the water. shouldn;t really matter but maybe you need to run the pump like 10% higher.

Thanks. I think I will run parallel to avoid the pressure building up on the first card in the loop. That way all three cards share the pressure. In my mind it has a smaller chance of developing a leak this way. 

This is how I plan to get water to the system from the pump to the first gpu. Down and under the psu shroud then up in front. I can not come up directly into the gpu because the psu is in the way. But it looks good. 
just waiting on the last two fittings to connect the gpus. 

DB779049-26BE-4A1D-897B-8D287313D6AB.jpeg

Almost there. Going to fire it up before wire managing everything. 

FC735E3C-D536-40FD-929E-C69E07240A34.jpeg

First fire up and so far the issue is it won’t see the third card. This is not my area. So I will let my brother pull his hair out trying to get all three to show up.  Still lots to do. The other side is still a mess and that will take hours for me to get it ocd approved. 
Maybe by the weekend it will be stamped done. Maybe not lol. 

Edit: temps are good but not great. Before I was running 80mh/s per card at 100C-106c on memory temps. Now I am at 90mh/s at 92c. This was just a quick under clock and only two cards mining atm but it’s a start. 
Edit number two: Temps settled at 82-88c over night at 90mh/s so still some head room. I should be able to get them to 95mh/s at about 90-92c

FF3CB684-6D4F-4B46-9736-4B9A5A309771.jpeg

It’s done, almost. Basically a shorter hdmi cable on the back and I still need to wire manage the back but it’s running. 
So it’s a almost silent almost 300mh/s mining rig lol  still lots of fun and given the prices of eth I will see a ROI of 8more months   

4 hours ago, RollinLower said:

awesome looking system! loads better than the normal mining frame everyone uses.

Thanks. When I suggested to my family that we use some of the considerable funds we have in crypto to reinvest in mining the main problem was where can we put the loud racks. Since that had no answer I suggested that I build in a silent closed case with water cooling and once we looked at the cost and the price of lite coin we decided to build quiet system that could go in the corner of any room and not bother anyone. 

Today was time to clean up the back of the machine. Not super ocd but it’s clean enough. I also noticed the system still had some leg room so I decided to set it up with two 10tb wd pro drives and swapped out the 256gb m.2 with a 2tb. So now it’s plotting Chia on 20tb. 

I feel the system is complete and needs no upgrades. The motherboard and chip are maxed out. No more bandwidth left to leverage while plotting 4 100gb plots and mining eth at 280mh/s 

E146D83C-A2AA-4DDA-8FB5-56F2209F1938.jpeg

On 4/8/2021 at 12:38 AM, Sir_Zeke said:

Waste of energy.

toxic

Lets just hope you didn't pay scalper prices for those GPUs.

Also what's the point in water-cooling, doesn't that just delay when you break even?