1060 underperforming all of a sudden in furmark

Crowbar_XL

I use furmark to test out overclocks at 1080p no msaa with dynamic bg and burn in checked. Used to get like 79fps stock (which was about right for 1060's) and like 89fps with oc and.. Now I'm getting 64 which seems to be underperforming like shiet for no reason.

All I can think of is since I've reinstalled windows, tried out this superlite version from ghost spectre and I've updated my gpu drivers. Why would this vers of windows be getting worse fps even tho it has less bg app usage and seems to run much better overall? Temps seem the same and its not like its tt'ing its doing that low fps right off the bat.

I think a better question would be , if you have a huge variable like all of the system software , then why would it perform exactly the same?

Does the machine perform correctly when you return it to the previous configuration?

1 minute ago, emosun said:

I think a better question would be , if you have a huge variable like all of the system software , then why would it perform exactly the same?

Does the machine perform correctly when you return it to the previous configuration?

I'm really not about to reinstall windows again just to check it. I think it should perform the same since its really just a debloated version of windows, and this being a gpu specific benchmark it shouldn't be affected

Its probably fine, some drivers will tank perf in some workloads.

also i believe that some cards will limit power during furmark.

I would see if its the same perf in 3d mark as other 1060s. You can use the demo to see.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Crowbar_XL said:

I'm really not about to reinstall windows again just to check it.

Ah then you're going to have a lot of difficulty determining what the issue might have been. I assumed you still had the previous config backed up.

4 minutes ago, Crowbar_XL said:

I think it should perform the same since its really just a debloated version of windows, and this being a gpu specific benchmark it shouldn't be affected

Well when it comes to consistency it's important that the software aspects of the machine not change otherwise you have introduced a variable that will only effect the consistency. You could try and return the machine to what the previous config was , but as far as diagnostics for consistency that can't really occur. 

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Its probably fine, some drivers will tank perf in some workloads.

also i believe that some cards will limit power during furmark.

I would see if its the same perf in 3d mark as other 1060s. You can use the demo to see.

Thing is it used to get the score that was just about what most 1060's seem to get in 1080p in furmark (around 4500 4600) consistently, and now It gets like 3.5k. I took a look at the scores online and people who are doing 1060 1080p runs are getting normal aprox 4500 scores. So unless this driver specifically broke my specific manifacturer card i doubt it.

1 minute ago, emosun said:

Ah then you're going to have a lot of difficulty determining what the issue might have been. I assumed you still had the previous config backed up.

Well when it comes to consistency it's important that the software aspects of the machine not change otherwise you have introduced a variable that will only effect the consistency. You could try and return the machine to what the previous config was , but as far as diagnostics for consistency that can't really occur. 

It could be I guess that this windows install is just acting weird with furmark but that just makes no sense. It's just bugging me thats all since it was an easy way to consistently measure my overclock. Other apps dont seem to have dropped in performance at least as I could tell so far

well keep in mind drivers are written with specific builds and specific windows updates that are meant to be present for the driver to work well.

Whatever specific updates along with whatever specific drivers that were previously being use were probably far more compatible than whatever is running right now. If it's a debloated windows iso then theres no real way of knowing exactly what has been done to it to make it worse off.

11 minutes ago, emosun said:

well keep in mind drivers are written with specific builds and specific windows updates that are meant to be present for the driver to work well.

Whatever specific updates along with whatever specific drivers that were previously being use were probably far more compatible than whatever is running right now. If it's a debloated windows iso then theres no real way of knowing exactly what has been done to it to make it worse off.

Seems you were right, i forgot to check windows updates, since it pauses them. The score is back to normal, Its slightly lower than I remember it being now but It's within normal range.