Cheap reliable 16TB+ Nas needed

This is a backup plan if my hopes for funding don't pan out.

I have a Synology 1815+ currently at 15.2TB of 16TB, no where else to store this and it is the only full copy of my life since 2019, it has to be kept so looking to bounce ideas on ways to store this while I either rework the Synology into a 24tb or build something else.

Any ideas ? 

This also a "am I as scr6wed as I think that I am" 16TB main nas populated with 4TB in a Synology hybrid array, .9TB free space being eaten up at a rate of 50gb per day, 2* 8TB shucked drives in a backup pc acting as extra space almost full, 70% of it 1080p footage, 30% of it 1440p, currently leaving my primary pc on 24/7 when not in use for streaming to drop the 1440p files down to 1080p. last hail mary is a couple of 2tb old drives not in the best condition but one I think is usable and I can use one of my 500gb ssd's for another 5-10 days storage. None of this  is backed up elsewhere and has multiple points of failure.

No funds unless I sell something in the house.

Personally I think that without funding I am screfuffled but other people have other points of view thus seeing if I missed anything here.

You could outfit an old PC as a temporary NAS. Most of your cost would be in getting the HDD's.

Are you comfortable with shucking? If you don't care about warranties that'll get the cost down a bit.

13 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

You could outfit an old PC as a temporary NAS. Most of your cost would be in getting the HDD's.

Are you comfortable with shucking? If you don't care about warranties that'll get the cost down a bit.

I have shucked, no problem with that but those two 8TB drives I did that too are now also full, I have no backup for any of this as very little funds to play with.

This also a "am I as sc6wed as I think I am thread"

I'm not all that familiar with Synology tech. I don't know what File System they use but if you have 8 bays at your disposal is it not possible to add another disk or two?

If your data is easily compressible there might be a compression algorithm that could buy you some time.

Otherwise you're going to need to find a way to bide your time until you can afford some more drives. If things get desperate start using cold spares, random disks then consolidate the data when you get good drives.

53 minutes ago, Calranthe said:

This is a backup plan if my hopes for funding don't pan out.

I have a Synology 1815+ currently at 15.2TB of 16TB, no where else to store this and it is the only full copy of my life since 2019, it has to be kept so looking to bounce ideas on ways to store this while I either rework the Synology into a 24tb or build something else.

Any ideas ? 

This also a "am I as scr6wed as I think that I am" 16TB main nas populated with 4TB in a Synology hybrid array, .9TB free space being eaten up at a rate of 50gb per day, 2* 8TB shucked drives in a backup pc acting as extra space almost full, 70% of it 1080p footage, 30% of it 1440p, currently leaving my primary pc on 24/7 when not in use for streaming to drop the 1440p files down to 1080p. last hail mary is a couple of 2tb old drives not in the best condition but one I think is usable and I can use one of my 500gb ssd's for another 5-10 days storage. None of this  is backed up elsewhere and has multiple points of failure.

No funds unless I sell something in the house.

Personally I think that without funding I am screfuffled but other people have other points of view thus seeing if I missed anything here.

So you have four options.

1. Know a friend who has a high capacity NAS who doesn't mind loaning you use of some space.

2. Expand your existing storage, I've been shucking high capacity Seagate drives (12TB) for my storage lately. There are cheaper options out there though.

3. Convert your media to a lower bitrate and thus lower file sizes.

4. Stop adding any new content until you can address your storage situation.

If you are running these things in redundant arrays (either parity or mirrored) you have some level of protection. If these are just stripped arrays you will eventually lose your data.

There is no real option to make more storage out of what you have. Why is your storage being eaten up at 50gb a day?

7 minutes ago, Loki0111 said:

So you have four options.

1. Know a friend who has a high capacity NAS who doesn't mind loaning you use of some space.

2. Expand your existing storage, I've been shucking high capacity Seagate drives (12TB) for my storage lately. There are cheaper options out there though.

3. Convert your media to a lower bitrate and thus lower file sizes.

4. Stop adding any new content until you can address your storage situation.

If you are running these things in redundant arrays (either parity or mirrored) you have some level of protection. If these are just stripped arrays you will eventually lose your data.

There is no real option to make more storage out of what you have. Why is your storage being eaten up at 50gb a day?

Streaming is my life support, without it I would be dead, long term hospital or heavily medicated, something about focusing on a camera and living my life on stream helps me deal with stuff in a way nothing else has.

My situation is well documented, Valve gifted me an index once they heard my story and my Wife's painting hangs in the main montreal office of Ubisoft (she also has a picture in the Animus Assassins creed valhalla and a world event story in memorial) been doing this since march 2019 but now I am at the point of almost running out of things to sell and so looking for ideas.

50gb is about norm for 6-12 hours of footage at 1080p I believe. 

The synology does have 1 disk as a backup built into it.

Already lowered the bitrate.

My own idea is drop the 15tb of files to a £250 16tb external drive grab a couple of 4tb hd's and raise the synlogy to 24tb (or I buy 3 16TB drives and redo the synology with them giving me massive space for expansion and use the 4tb drives to build a backup that stores a copy plus a couple of the 16TB externals)

But Wanted to see if anyone had cheaper safer ways to do this, I am going to still need funding but in talks with a few people in the industry, I just don't want to ask for more than I need.

That is certainly a unique situation.

You could try and reach out in your local community to see if anyone has additional or unused drives they could donate to you. If you know people in the industry who might be willing to donate that would definitely be a good option. The expense of storage media is pocket change to bigger companies.

The only other suggestion I could make is to drop the bitrate to 720p until you have your storage solution sorted out.

41 minutes ago, Loki0111 said:

That is certainly a unique situation.

You could try and reach out in your local community to see if anyone has additional or unused drives they could donate to you. If you know people in the industry who might be willing to donate that would definitely be a good option. The expense of storage media is pocket change to bigger companies.

The only other suggestion I could make is to drop the bitrate to 720p until you have your storage solution sorted out.

That is my idea, I am contacting a few people in the industry to see if they can help me sort this out.

3 hours ago, Calranthe said:

That is my idea, I am contacting a few people in the industry to see if they can help me sort this out.

3 hours ago, Calranthe said:

Streaming is my life support, without it I would be dead, long term hospital or heavily medicated, something about focusing on a camera and living my life on stream helps me deal with stuff in a way nothing else has.

My situation is well documented, Valve gifted me an index once they heard my story and my Wife's painting hangs in the main montreal office of Ubisoft (she also has a picture in the Animus Assassins creed valhalla and a world event story in memorial) been doing this since march 2019 but now I am at the point of almost running out of things to sell and so looking for ideas.

50gb is about norm for 6-12 hours of footage at 1080p I believe. 

The synology does have 1 disk as a backup built into it.

Already lowered the bitrate.

My own idea is drop the 15tb of files to a £250 16tb external drive grab a couple of 4tb hd's and raise the synlogy to 24tb (or I buy 3 16TB drives and redo the synology with them giving me massive space for expansion and use the 4tb drives to build a backup that stores a copy plus a couple of the 16TB externals)

But Wanted to see if anyone had cheaper safer ways to do this, I am going to still need funding but in talks with a few people in the industry, I just don't want to ask for more than I need.

I guess the streaming aspect is the "life support" not the data backup of created files. I would go with the option of a mass cull of anything older than a certain date. How often do you go back to the first streams? Be realistic with this number. It's hard, but take it from a reformed data hoarder.

Alternative it Amazon Glacier backup. Good for long term untouched storage. Very cheap.

3 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

I guess the streaming aspect is the "life support" not the data backup of created files. I would go with the option of a mass cull of anything older than a certain date. How often do you go back to the first streams? Be realistic with this number. It's hard, but take it from a reformed data hoarder.

Alternative it Amazon Glacier backup. Good for long term untouched storage. Very cheap.

Let me put it this way, on the 26th of March 2019 I was about to end my life, nothing mattered and all  was grey to put it simply, my journey from then to now, inspiring people along the way, isn't just for me, its a rallying call for the entire tech industry, and more than that everyone out there dealing with depression, suicidal thoughts, grief, and mental illness.

videos from 2019, I still get messages about (I am uncertain of my future on youtube) a south korean teenager thanked me for putting his school problems in perspective, another from SK watched an early kitchen food live stream video and it inspired him to cook for a girl he liked, messages from people dealing with grief thanking me for uploading the videos and how they help them deal with there own tragedy.

A comment last week puts it into perspective from someone who watched a video.

"This video shines light on so many issues. Thank you for this. It really bought me to the edge of having tears. I am so glad that I can vibe with the fact that I now know someone who also thinks gaming might have saved my life. No matter what anyone says, if gaming makes you feel better, without the need to hang out with people or socialize, IT STILL is a friend in all the darkest hours of our life. The adventures. The memories. They can help online friends bond as well. I've made friends online with whom I share amazing rapport even though I haven't met them. I want to do something like this as well, in the future. To have my own time where I can play, just create content using some creativity/film making in video games. Thank you for this update. This is so important. Thank you for helping me understand that it's okay to video game and for making me feel less lonely that even you're out there who knows gaming plays a huge role. Thank you for sharing all this. You have endured so much. Thank you for being strong and for definitely clicking Division 2 when it really mattered. Please keep streaming. Even if there aren't anyone who are able to watch it at the moment, you can be rest assured I go through atleast one of your videos after my dinner. Please take care and thank you for making my day with this update."

So should I really even entertain the thought of culling those videos this journey which is a prime example of how technology and gaming can make a huge difference to people and help them.

If youtube ever changes its policy or my channel ever gets strikes I could loose it all, as long as I have a backup, a copy I can reupload it all elsewhere.

Something that is actually championing a use of technology that isn't about mining or the latest out of stock graphics card but is actually saving lives and making a difference.

No I couldn't cull those videos but I am looking into the glacier you mentioned that is interesting to me. Thank you. 🙂

Buy a cheap MD1200 2.5'' sata disk enclosure connect it to any PC through SAS and use windows storage spaces or any other NAS software of your choosing!...you will have a capacity of 24 drives in the MD1200 just alone

22 minutes ago, BloodKnight7 said:

Buy a cheap MD1200 2.5'' sata disk enclosure connect it to any PC through SAS and use windows storage spaces or any other NAS software of your choosing!...you will have a capacity of 24 drives in the MD1200 just alone

The enclosure might be cheap, filling it with drives will not be. 

16 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

The enclosure might be cheap, filling it with drives will not be. 

Shoot...lol... under what scenario is filling an enclosure with hard drives is cheap?

4 hours ago, BloodKnight7 said:

Shoot...lol... under what scenario is filling an enclosure with hard drives is cheap?

That is the big problem, I just wondered if anyone had some bright idea that I hadn't already thought of.