Port Fowarding Not Working

Go to solution Solved by Lurick,
Just now, BoxTurtle said:

I am running it on windows

Cool, this should guide you nicely:

https://support.paperspace.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004997928-How-to-Create-a-VPN-tunnel-with-ZeroTier-Windows-

Your friends will need to use it as well but just connect to your network id instead and you'll just run the server locally and give them the private IP of the server 192.168.1.85

Ok so about a month ago (I have put this off for a month) I had set up a minecraft server and everything was going smoothly until when I tried to set up port fowarding. So I set up port fowarding and it did not work. For a few days I troubleshooted with fixing the problem. I did a lot of research and checked over all the settings to figure out why it was not working. Well I found this article and as you can see the first thing it says is to make sure you have a public wan ip and if you have a private wan ip then port fowarding will not work. In bullet 1 it has a link that takes you here where it talks about the difference between a public and private ip adress. Well in this article it list certain ip addreses that are private. But before I could check mine I had to figure out what my wan ip was. So I used serval different sites to check my public ip and they all listed a ip that was not on that private ip list. But I was not in the clear yet. The thing was when I went to my router home page it listed a wan ip that was listed in this private ip list being like it said in the range of 100.64.0.0 to 100.127.255.255. I could clarify that this wan ip is correct because one way you can connect to your minecraft server is by using your public/wan ip and guess what this ip (in the range 100.64.0.0 to 100.127.255.255) worked to connect to my minecraft server while the wan ip that the sites gave me did not work. So I can conclude that yes I have a private wan ip my wan ip falls within the range of 100.64.0.0 to 100.127.255.255. So now I have to find a solution. Since I have a private wan ip I do not know how my friends will be able to join my minecraft server. Is there a way that I can solve this problem by using something like a vpn? 

Edit: I am pretty sure I set up port fowarding right. I set up a static ip and did all the other things which included configuring port fowarding in my router. You can check my router settings in the image below.

Screenshot 2021-03-28 135739.jpg

WARNING!! THE THINGS I SAY ARE BASED OFF EXPERIENCE AND MIGHT NOT BE TOTALLY ACCURATE!!

Did you check to make sure you're not behind Double NAT?

Another issue you might have is your ISP connection type may not permit Port Forwarding. If you use an LTE or other wireless mobile type router these often function behind NAT64-CGN which means you won't be doing any Port Forwarding at all.

Who is your ISP and what type of Modem/Router do you have?

There are work-arounds via VPN but they aren't necessarily free and you need to be comfortable with CLI & Linux.

30 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Did you check to make sure you're not behind Double NAT?

Another issue you might have is your ISP connection type may not permit Port Forwarding. If you use an LTE or other wireless mobile type router these often function behind NAT64-CGN which means you won't be doing any Port Forwarding at all.

Who is your ISP and what type of Modem/Router do you have?

There are work-arounds via VPN but they aren't necessarily free and you need to be comfortable with CLI & Linux.

I don't really understand what a doulbe nat is but this is my network configuration in my house. First I have a router/modem combo that mostly everthing connects too. I have a etherenet cord running fromm it into a switch which then I have a cord running from the switch into my pc. I then have another router in the back of the house that is plugged directly into the modem/router combo via ethernet cable running under the house. So that my config. I am sorry I don't really understand but I hope this info helps. My isp is EPB. They are more of a local provider in my city. They only provide fiber. Basically they have made fiber widely availible in my city. This means I have some router provided by my ISP that work with fiber. The model number is EMG6726-B10A and it is Zyxel Router/Modem combo. I have actually tried looking a router and modem to replace this one but I could litterly find nothing on the consumer market that works with fiber. Thanks for the help and sorry I took so long to respond.

EditL I think I am behind Double Nat

WARNING!! THE THINGS I SAY ARE BASED OFF EXPERIENCE AND MIGHT NOT BE TOTALLY ACCURATE!!

I assume your PC is hosting the MC server? What switch are you using?

Also if you lookup your IP online does the IP you see online match the IP your router says is on your WAN interface?

5 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Also if you lookup your IP online does the IP you see online match the IP your router says is on your WAN interface?

OP is indeed behind double nat, the WAN IP on their router is in the CGNAT range and they did mention it doesn't match what external IP address they get from another site. As for getting around it there isn't much, you could try to setup something with a VPS and setup a VPN between the VPS and the minecraft server or maybe look into zerotier but not 100% sure on that as I've not used it myself.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I have a old windows laptop hosting the server. It is not powerfull enough to game but is powerfull enough to host the server. I set it up on that before I built my pc. I just played on a mac that my family had. My switch is the TP-Link TL-SG108. It is a unmanaged, 8 port, gigabit switch. No the the ip that shows up when I look it up online does not match the ip my router says on my WAN interface. I have more about this in my orginal post.

3 minutes ago, Lurick said:

OP is indeed behind double nat, the WAN IP on their router is in the CGNAT range and they did mention it doesn't match what external IP address they get from another site. As for getting around it there isn't much, you could try to setup something with a VPS and setup a VPN between the VPS and the minecraft server or maybe look into zerotier but not 100% sure on that as I've not used it myself.

Uh, I know this is out of the way but could your provide with some guide on how to set this up? 

Uh, I know this is out of the way but could your provide with some guide on how to set this up? 

Sure, is this server on a windows machine or linux? If linux what distro?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

4 minutes ago, Lurick said:

I'm not familiar with a public range of addresses reserved for CGN. Might be good for me to remember. His mention that his ISP was small was also a bit concerning.

And that's the direction I was going to send him if CGN was the case. VPS + VPN. I don't know of another way around it.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

I'm not familiar with a public range of addresses reserved for CGN. Might be good for me to remember. His mention that his ISP was small was also a bit concerning.

And that's the direction I was going to send him if CGN was the case. VPS + VPN. I don't know of another way around it.

Yah, it's a really odd range, I would have assumed they'd do a whole /8 but 100.64.0.0/10 it is 🙂

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Sure, is this server on a windows machine or linux? If linux what distro?

https://support.paperspace.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004997928-How-to-Create-a-VPN-tunnel-with-ZeroTier-Windows-

Your friends will need to use it as well but just connect to your network id instead and you'll just run the server locally and give them the private IP of the server 192.168.1.85

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Thank you so much. I hope I will be able to use this to fix the problem. 🙂

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Yah, it's a really odd range, I would have assumed they'd do a whole /8 but 100.64.0.0/10 it is 🙂

Jeez, so that's 100.64.0.1 - 100.67.255.254?

Bit complicated to memorize for me. 😅

I've not used Zerotier before but lets see if it works. If not I have a not free but low-ish cost solution.

12 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Jeez, so that's 100.64.0.1 - 100.67.255.254?

Bit complicated to memorize for me. 😅

I've not used Zerotier before but lets see if it works. If not I have a not free but low-ish cost solution.

10.64.0.1 through 100.127.255.254 🙂

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 hours ago, Lurick said:

10.64.0.1 through 100.127.255.254 🙂

Damn it. You're right. I did my bits backwards in the second octet.

On 3/28/2021 at 6:20 PM, Windows7ge said:

On 3/28/2021 at 6:17 PM, Lurick said:

Zerotier works! I am so glad because I have been trying to figure this out for so long. Thank you again.

9 minutes ago, BoxTurtle said:

Zerotier works! I am so glad because I have been trying to figure this out for so long. Thank you again.

I'll try to remember that name so I can recommend it to others in your situation.