Help setting up dockers in a Qnap TS-451+

Ive been wanting to build a VM server, but I decided to pay down some debt with my stimmy money and tax refunds. I want to setup a Guacamole server and I notice it can run in a container. Qnap has the ability to run containers, so I figure Id give it a shot. I installed it, BUT I cant get it to run. Gives me an error about not having a host name. I need to figure out how this works. So I can possibly install PiHole on it as well

Specs:

TS-451+

CPU Celeron J1900 @ 2Ghz 

4GB of RAM 

1x 8TB WD 

1x 500 GB Toshiba 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

QNAP containers are a fair bit clumsy. Might be better off setting up an Ubuntu VM and Docker to host your containers.

6 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

QNAP containers are a fair bit clumsy. Might be better off setting up an Ubuntu VM and Docker to host your containers.

Given the NAS's specs can I even do that? 

5 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Given the NAS's specs can I even do that? 

Yes. I've set one up on that NAS before to get a reverse proxy server going for a friend. Should be a VM app just like there's a container app. Just make sure it's the server w/o GUI.

5 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

Yes. I've set one up on that NAS before to get a reverse proxy server going for a friend. Should be a VM app just like there's a container app.

What do I use to install a container in Ubuntu? I mean is there like a special app? 

5 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

What do I use to install a container in Ubuntu? I mean is there like a special app? 

You'd install Virtualization Station from the QNAP app store.

Then grab an Ubuntu server image (recommend 20.04 LTS).

Then install Docker (and optionally Portainer).

1 hour ago, Den-Fi said:

You'd install Virtualization Station from the QNAP app store.

Then grab an Ubuntu server image (recommend 20.04 LTS).

Then install Docker (and optionally Portainer).

How much ram should I allocate? I only have 4 gigs. Though I could always buy more ram in the future. Ubuntu server states it needs at least a Gig. Should I do like 1.5? I have about 2 Gigs available thats not in use. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

How much ram should I allocate? I only have 4 gigs. Though I could always buy more ram in the future. Ubuntu server states it needs at least a Gig. Should I do like 1.5? I have about 2 Gigs available thats not in use. 

1.5 should be fine. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2021 at 9:47 PM, Den-Fi said:

1.5 should be fine. 

Sorry to revive and old thread. But after some trial and error I figured things out the issue Im having is some in configuration the other is the home version of Windows I use doesn't support RDP. So I need to use VNC. Not an issue for my purpose I dont think. 

I figured out that editing the user-mapping.xml file allows you to add authorized connections. I figured out how to do SSH to my Plex server but I need to set up VNC. Not sure what I really need to put in the file. The tutorial Im using only shows sections for SSH and RDP. The other side of it is I need a VNC server for Windows 10 that works with Guacamole.