Dual System with single PSU Planning and need help

Knowix

Hi guys!

I'm planing to build a dual system basically a streamer pc and a gamer pc. I need some help in choosing the right PSU for me. 

So as far as i can see i have two option

1. go with phanteks revolt x power supply 

2. go with any 850w power supply with splitters

For me the first option is out since the phanteks power supply cost 400+$(which is more than i want to spend on psu) and also it's known to have a lot of issues lately.

I found the phanteks power splitter and that would be the perfect solution to my problem. Just i can't find any used or new. The last stock was in 2019. Any ideas where can i get one? 😄 

So basically stucked with cable splitters.

So i planned that i will use a 850w gold minimum psu with two 8 pin cpu cable(or can i use the vga cable for the processor because i only need 1 8pin for my gpu) and a 24 pin with a splitter. Will it work? Can i do it like that?

Also for me it's a must have to able to run my gamer pc only when i played with friends so the stream pc must have to be turned off. Is it possible with the cable splitters?

If not how can I do it to run one and the other off?

Thank you guys for the help!

ui: sorry for my English I'm not a native speaker.

I have a question , why are you not just using two power supplies?  Using a single power supply for two machines has almost no advantage at all.

2 minutes ago, Knowix said:

So i planned that i will use a 850w gold minimum psu with two 8 pin cpu cable(or can i use the vga cable for the processor because i only need 1 8pin for my gpu)

You cannot use a PCIe power cable in a CPU power port. The pins are different.

elephants

1 minute ago, Knowix said:

Hi guys!

I'm planing to build a dual system basically a streamer pc and a gamer pc. I need some help in choosing the right PSU for me. 

So as far as i can see i have two option

1. go with phanteks revolt x power supply 

2. go with any 850w power supply with splitters

For me the first option is out since the phanteks power supply cost 400+$(which is more than i want to spend on psu) and also it's known to have a lot of issues lately.

I found the phanteks power splitter and that would be the perfect solution to my problem. Just i can't find any used or new. The last stock was in 2019. Any ideas where can i get one? 😄 

So basically stucked with cable splitters.

So i planned that i will use a 850w gold minimum psu with two 8 pin cpu cable(or can i use the vga cable for the processor because i only need 1 8pin for my gpu) and a 24 pin with a splitter. Will it work? Can i do it like that?

Also for me it's a must have to able to run my gamer pc only when i played with friends so the stream pc must have to be turned off. Is it possible with the cable splitters?

If not how can I do it to run one and the other off?

Thank you guys for the help!

ui: sorry for my English I'm not a native speaker.

Is there a reason why you need two computers? A 12-16 core cpu should be enough to run both use cases at the same time, I'm just a bit confused as to why you need two seperate computers if they can not be separated anyway because they use the same power supply.

9 minutes ago, Knowix said:

Will it work? Can i do it like that?

No.

The Phantek's Power Splitter is not just a cable splitter... it handles the abstraction of which system is on vs off.

Feed +12V power to a system in the off state, and you'll get unexpected results such as fans/lights/drives coming on at 100% speed.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

12 minutes ago, emosun said:

I have a question , why are you not just using two power supplies?  Using a single power supply for two machines has almost no advantage at all.

Only cases that support dual PSUs are $500+

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

From my understanding, if you have a high core count CPU or any Nvidia GPU with NVENC there is pretty much no need for a dual system anymore. You might want to watch some of Jayz 2cents' videos on the subject. 

4 minutes ago, davemc said:

Only cases that support dual PSUs are $500+

Use two cases.

You combining these two machines into a single machine seems to only be a downgrade from having two separate machines. You also run the risk of having a single failure point for both machines for..... no reason at all. it would be a much smarter idea for each machine to be usable on it's own. 

5 minutes ago, emosun said:

Use two cases.

You combining these two machines into a single machine seems to only be a downgrade from having two separate machines. You also run the risk of having a single failure point for both machines for..... no reason at all. it would be a much smarter idea for each machine to be usable on it's own. 

The guy clearly says "Dual system" which means 2 systems inside 1 case

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

4 hours ago, curiousmind34 said:

Is there a reason why you need two computers? A 12-16 core cpu should be enough to run both use cases at the same time, I'm just a bit confused as to why you need two seperate computers if they can not be separated anyway because they use the same power supply.

Streaming with 3900x with x264 in low-medium settings and as I’m a semiprofessional player I can’t afford any microlaggs. And when I’m streaming it feels different and slower and it matters for me in fps games. And also I know i can use nvenc but when i stream AAA games my vga is not enough 1080TI. And I want to enjoy the game with any sacrifice. 
Lastly atm it’s cheaper to put together a cpu streaming pc because of the lack of vga cards and high prices. 

4 hours ago, FakeKGB said:

You cannot use a PCIe power cable in a CPU power port. The pins are different.

Didn’t know rocky mistake. Thanks. So i’ll look for double cpu cable psu.

3 hours ago, emosun said:

Use two cases.

Yeah It would be much easier but two pc case looks bad in my gaming room imo

Also I love to put together computers and love the planning phase. And didn’t do anything simular to this so that’s why I want to put to a single case the two system

4 hours ago, Sorenson said:

From my understanding, if you have a high core count CPU or any Nvidia GPU with NVENC there is pretty much no need for a dual system anymore. You might want to watch some of Jayz 2cents' videos on the subject. 

Almost every big streamer use two pc for streaming. And I need a dedicated streaming pc since when i put the webcam on and stream fps games I lose a lot of fps and it’s not that enjoyable pluss playing in 144Hz so need a lot of fps.

4 hours ago, svmlegacy said:

No.

The Phantek's Power Splitter is not just a cable splitter... it handles the abstraction of which system is on vs off.

Feed +12V power to a system in the off state, and you'll get unexpected results such as fans/lights/drives coming on at 100% speed.

Yeah I know that Phantek’s power splitter is more than a cable splitter. Just unfortunately it’s out of stock since 2019. So it’s not an option. Would be the perfect option just can’t get one. So how can i do it with one power supply to work properly as i said before? Any idea?

2 hours ago, Knowix said:

Almost every big streamer use two pc for streaming. And I need a dedicated streaming pc since when i put the webcam on and stream fps games I lose a lot of fps and it’s not that enjoyable pluss playing in 144Hz so need a lot of fps.

Streamers aren’t exactly known for being the most techy people in the world. Linus streamed beatsaber with an i5 and an RTX card for the longest time before upgrading. 

You might just need to change your setting to enable NVENC if you have an RTX20 series card or newer, or just simply upgrade your CPU. It’s hard to know without knowing your computer specs. 

But if you want to get a dual system in one case by all means go for it. That is likely going to cause more headaches than its worth in the long run though.

3 hours ago, Sorenson said:

Streamers aren’t exactly known for being the most techy people in the world. Linus streamed beatsaber with an i5 and an RTX card for the longest time before upgrading. 

You might just need to change your setting to enable NVENC if you have an RTX20 series card or newer, or just simply upgrade your CPU. It’s hard to know without knowing your computer specs. 

But if you want to get a dual system in one case by all means go for it. That is likely going to cause more headaches than its worth in the long run though.

My setup is 3900x with a 1080TI. Probably I could upgrade my gpu to have a better experience streaming with Nvenc just the gpu prices is so high. With a single gpu upgrade to a 3070 or 3080 or basically any 3000series card cost more than if I put together a dedicated streamer pc. I’m planning there a 9700k with 16GB of ram and that’s all for that and a elgato capture card. And that cost half of the new card. So as far as i can se it’s the most logical choice atm. Just need to figure out how to do the power supply part to work properly🧐

20 hours ago, Knowix said:

My setup is 3900x with a 1080TI. Probably I could upgrade my gpu to have a better experience streaming with Nvenc just the gpu prices is so high. With a single gpu upgrade to a 3070 or 3080 or basically any 3000series card cost more than if I put together a dedicated streamer pc. I’m planning there a 9700k with 16GB of ram and that’s all for that and a elgato capture card. And that cost half of the new card. So as far as i can se it’s the most logical choice atm. Just need to figure out how to do the power supply part to work properly🧐

Ahh then yea that would make sense.