Using a 6 pin to dual 6pin adapter safe?

Vezron

Ive got a 750w psu but it only has 1 6 pin cable on it (I need dual 6 pin for my R9 380) is using a 6 pin to dual 6 pin adapter safe? 

1 minute ago, Vezron said:

Ive got a 750w psu but it only has 1 6 pin cable on it

meaning it can probably only deliver part of its wattage on the 12v rail

which probably means it's a very sketchy unit, so the answer is probably... up to you to risk it?

can we get a picture of the label with the specifications?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

No, it's not safe. And if a 750w psu has one 6 pin than it's a very bad 750w. Normally a 750w has 4 pci-e 6+2 pin.

7 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

No, it's not safe. And if a 750w psu has one 6 pin than it's a very bad 750w. Normally a 750w has 4 pci-e 6+2 pin.

Its a semi Modular psu and I lost the cable for the dual 6 pin 😞

5 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

What's the make and model of the psu?

DSC_0073.JPG

DSC_0072.JPG

17 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

meaning it can probably only deliver part of its wattage on the 12v rail

which probably means it's a very sketchy unit, so the answer is probably... up to you to risk it?

can we get a picture of the label with the specifications?

DSC_0073.JPG

DSC_0072.JPG

6 minutes ago, Vezron said:

cant seem to find it in this list

but if you have to use adapters then i would recommend against it

maybe someone more well versed in PSU knows about this PSU

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

ATX 24 pin                               x1
EPS/ATX12V 4+4 Pin CPU     x1
EPS/ATX12V 8 Pin CPU         x1
PCI-E 6+2 pin                          x4
SATA                                        x6
4 Pin Molex Peripheral            x4
Floppy                                     x2

these are the connectors that this psu supports you don't need a spliter you need another pcie cable you have 4 12V rails each rated 18 Amps so you can pull the power of 1 8 pin from each of these. The psu is fine but a 6 pin cable isn't, you need to connect 2 6 pin cables in or one 8 pin and split that.

1 minute ago, Rameares said:

ATX 24 pin                               x1
EPS/ATX12V 4+4 Pin CPU     x1
EPS/ATX12V 8 Pin CPU         x1
PCI-E 6+2 pin                          x4
SATA                                        x6
4 Pin Molex Peripheral            x4
Floppy                                     x2

these are the connectors that this psu supports you don't need a spliter you need another pcie cable you have 4 12V rails each rated 18 Amps so you can pull the power of 1 8 pin from each of these. The psu is fine but a 6 pin cable isn't, you need to connect 2 6 pin cables in or one 8 pin and split that.

Thanks for letting me know 🙂

I think I'm just gonna order a new psu when I get paid as this one I have is 9 years old (think my pc deserves it haha) thank you everyone for helping me out! 

Apart from being a lesser known brand, it seems decent. If the images I found you have 4 red ports on the back 2 6 pin and 2 8 pin each 6 pin and 8 pin forms a pair running off one 12 volt. If you wanted to you could power two cards from this. if you use the two 6 pin connections you should only be drawing 75 watts from each (150 total) out of a possible 216 Watt (438 total).

Given the age it has done well if you do decide to stick with it in the end take a look inside (just shine a light in no need to go to the length of pulling apart). do all the components look to be in good condition.

It's the same as OCZ Fatal1ty 750w OCZ750FTY.  Maybe someone has a cable from a retired unit.

7 minutes ago, Rameares said:

Apart from being a lesser known brand, it seems decent. If the images I found you have 4 red ports on the back 2 6 pin and 2 8 pin each 6 pin and 8 pin forms a pair running off one 12 volt. If you wanted to you could power two cards from this. if you use the two 6 pin connections you should only be drawing 75 watts from each (150 total) out of a possible 216 Watt (438 total).

Given the age it has done well if you do decide to stick with it in the end take a look inside (just shine a light in no need to go to the length of pulling apart). do all the components look to be in good condition.

Yeah everything looks perfect to be honest. The guy I bought it off originally said that it had only been used for a few years. I might sell it and get an upgrade as I'm thinking about upgrading my entire pc (still using the AMD X4 II 965 haha)

1 hour ago, Vezron said:

Thanks for letting me know 🙂

I think I'm just gonna order a new psu when I get paid as this one I have is 9 years old (think my pc deserves it haha) thank you everyone for helping me out! 

Yeah.  It's a group regulated PSU made in 2011.   Probably should get a new PSU.