NOOB guy trying to network...

Johanes

Hello and good day...

im thinking of implementing "due to my fathers request" an upgrade to our small family business network.

now i an new to networking outside of basic ISP to switch to PC networking and would like more experienced users to look at what im thinking of implementing if its viable.

please take note that this is a small family business and buying expensive network gear might be a little stretch to our budget.

this is the said network layout.

1152301985_networklayout.png.68068a96ea259469f15a87093317963c.png

Now for my explanation on why i would like to set it up this way.

first is the price... with this im only looking at around $500 - 600 worth of equipment

2nd is using pfsense. ive been looking for a way to make it so that we have guess wifi and employee wifi. basically making the guess wifi a timed connection and also having vouchers later on if needed.

3rd is later on im also thinking of using the 1u as a sort of database for our business. Tracking item stock and stuff maybe even using it as a CCTV video storage just to save money. not sure how i would implement that but im sure ill find a way to jank it up.

now im asking if this setup is viable and OR any better alternative for my use case. Feedback is much appreciated. Thank you.

edit: reason why im using 2 switch on different floors is because there are still some area in our building that isnt being used. but im just thinking ahead just incase we do need wifi/lan connection in those area...

or should i just trow the 2 switch idea and just run lines from first floor to all the different areas of our building... XD

Edited by Johanes
forgot to add something

17 minutes ago, Johanes said:

Hello and good day...

im thinking of implementing "due to my fathers request" an upgrade to our small family business network.

now i an new to networking outside of basic ISP to switch to PC networking and would like more experienced users to look at what im thinking of implementing if its viable.

please take note that this is a small family business and buying expensive network gear might be a little stretch to our budget.

this is the said network layout.

1152301985_networklayout.png.68068a96ea259469f15a87093317963c.png

Now for my explanation on why i would like to set it up this way.

first is the price... with this im only looking at around $500 - 600 worth of equipment

2nd is using pfsense. ive been looking for a way to make it so that we have guess wifi and employee wifi. basically making the guess wifi a timed connection and also having vouchers later on if needed.

3rd is later on im also thinking of using the 1u as a sort of database for our business. Tracking item stock and stuff maybe even using it as a CCTV video storage just to save money. not sure how i would implement that but im sure ill find a way to jank it up.

now im asking if this setup is viable and OR any better alternative for my use case. Feedback is much appreciated. Thank you.

edit: reason why im using 2 switch on different floors is because there are still some area in our building that isnt being used. but im just thinking ahead just incase we do need wifi/lan connection in those area...

or should i just trow the 2 switch idea and just run lines from first floor to all the different areas of our building... XD

Since you listed a Unifi AP, you could simplify your network by working with Unifi products. Instead of PfSense you could opt for the Unifi security gateway. While not being the fastest around when you apply all security filters, it can get the job done. Unifi switches as well. There are PoE switches where you can plug in your Unifi AP. Everything is easily managed from a controller (you do need a controller for logging and proper configuration) but after you set it up, you can manage your entire network from the cloud.

I'm not saying Unifi is the best out there, but it's what I call "prosumer" equipment and have my own network setup with Unifi products. I work with Fortigate firewalls a lot so I currently have a Fortigate as border on my network to create seperate VLANs.

4 hours ago, Johanes said:

That setup is quite fine.

Just a few points:

1. UniFi APs are generally PoE-powered, so if you don't have a PoE switch, make sure the AP comes with a PoE injector and you have a power outlet to plug in to.
  2. Get APs with enough antennae to serve the client density in the area.
  3. You don't have to get UniFi switches, but if you do, consider the PoE ones to reduce how many cables you have to run. The UniFi Controller also allows you to control a lot of things on your network devices, assign VLANs, etc.
  4. Since you'll have APs basically stacked above each other, it helps to configure broadcast channels such that they don't overlap with each other and are not at their highest power output. You only need them to serve the floor on which they are located. Wireless handover should occur as clients move through the different levels.
  5. A USG is not necessary in this setup. As a matter of fact, your pfSense router should be able to perform much better and have more features.

Good luck with this project!