GPU Caught in Thunderstorm

Hello, 3 weeks ago my GPU (MSI GTX 980) was turned off due to a power outage. I came home from work and turned on my pc for about an hour, then went to nap. an hour later my pc wont turn on.

i have tested all parts using a text bench and it is definitely the GPU that is the issue. when I have the GPU plugged in, pressing the power button puts power through the PC as my Ram lights up, my CPU fan spins and my GPU's light turns on but all of this only happens for about .02 seconds.  then it all turns off instantly. i have not been able to get my PC to post or even turn on for more than 1 second. my CPU (Ryzen 3 3100G) Has no onboard graphics. but i know the issue is my GPU

is my GPU fully dead? can i open it up and replace something to make it work again, and why did it only stop working after i personally rebooted it hours after the blackout?

10 minutes ago, Jadyn Valvona-Healy said:

Hello, 3 weeks ago my GPU (MSI GTX 980) was turned off due to a power outage. I came home from work and turned on my pc for about an hour, then went to nap. an hour later my pc wont turn on.

i have tested all parts using a text bench and it is definitely the GPU that is the issue. when I have the GPU plugged in, pressing the power button puts power through the PC as my Ram lights up, my CPU fan spins and my GPU's light turns on but all of this only happens for about .02 seconds.  then it all turns off instantly. i have not been able to get my PC to post or even turn on for more than 1 second. my CPU (Ryzen 3 3100G) Has no onboard graphics. but i know the issue is my GPU

is my GPU fully dead? can i open it up and replace something to make it work again, and why did it only stop working after i personally rebooted it hours after the blackout?

What are the rest of your specs? Especially PSU etc.

It would seem odd to me that a GPU dies on a power outage somehow, though depends on what it was caused by I guess. 

Does it boot up for longer than .02 seconds if you run the PC without the graphics card? 

If you have a Post Code readout or beeper on your motherboard, does it say anything or does it turn off too quickly?

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

PSU: Silverstone  Model : SST-ST1000-P

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100G

GPU Nvidia GTX 980

RAM: PNY 2x8GB 3200Mhz

MOBO: Gigabyte A520M DS3H

the pc stays powered on when no GPU but i cannot check weather or not it actually posts or anything due to no onboard graphics

and no the MOBO has no beeper or error code reader

@-iSynthesis i tried another PSU from a very old pc that i am actually using now to type this, so i know the PSU works... but the same issue came up in the other build

3 hours ago, Jadyn Valvona-Healy said:

To answer this question, unless you know your way around circuits you'll probably have trouble fixing anything there, could be anything really...

From your description it sounds like a short somewhere causing the PSU to trigger over-current protection and instantly shutting down.

If it were a blown fuse or something it shouldn't trip any protection circuit in the PSU causing it to shut down, so it's likely something a bit more complex...

I agree with you in that it sounds like a dead GPU, though I guess it COULD be a motherboard issue with the PCIe slot. If I understand correctly you've tried the GPU in an entirely different system though, right?

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

Yea, but does this mean that the whole GPU is dead?
at the worst time too. GPU arent cheap anymore