Budget PC build

At that price point, I'd recommend looking around Facebook Marketplace or whatever for used parts and maybe even used computers entirely. You really don't have a whole lot to worry about used components or PCs, as a lot of tech stuff doesn't really age (besides stuff like thermal paste and AIOs of course). As I've bought used components in the best, I can definitely say it's a safe thing to do and you can save a lot of money as well

2 minutes ago, RiceNotTaken said:

tips for a $200 budget pc build?

$200 won't get you anything new. Your only real option is too get an old dell optiplex off a used market, and you add a GT 1030 (or 1050ti if you get lucky)

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

4 minutes ago, RiceNotTaken said:

tips for a $200 budget pc build?

ssd vs. hard drive
If this is primarily a web browsing/productivity computer, get a 128-256GB SSD. If you plan to install a significant amount games or programs, get a slower but bigger hard drive

What do you want to do with this PC that is going to have a big impact $200 for a PC with out a dedicated graphics card is not to dificult.

Either a new system with a apu

or

(recommended) OptiPlex with a SSD and gpu.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Save up more, your budget is way to low. Judging by that your a dream stan, your running Minecraft. At this price point shaders are off the table, and you probably aren't even going to be running at full settings

On 3/24/2021 at 12:41 PM, Joe56463 said:

Save up more, your budget is way to low. Judging by that your a dream stan, your running Minecraft. At this price point shaders are off the table, and you probably aren't even going to be running at full settings

Not really a dream Stan just need something that’ll get the job done with light gaming and work lol.

Get something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-OPTIPLEX-7040-SFF-DESKTOP-INTEL-I5-6500-3-2GHZ-8GB-DDR-4-RAM-NO-HDD/203311402192?hash=item2f564dccd0:g:aiEAAOSwtCBf6Qv0 

Even better if it's not SFF because you have more space in the case. Make sure it has at least 8GB RAM because there are models with only 4GB. Then find a 240GB SSD or cheap HDD (I just bought my first SSD, it's not like you NEED one to use the PC). 

You can add more upgrades as you save money but these PCs are usable as is. Eventually add a 1060 or RX580/590 when GPU prices go down those will be super affordable 🙂

18 hours ago, DCCFan said:

Get something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-OPTIPLEX-7040-SFF-DESKTOP-INTEL-I5-6500-3-2GHZ-8GB-DDR-4-RAM-NO-HDD/203311402192?hash=item2f564dccd0:g:aiEAAOSwtCBf6Qv0 

Even better if it's not SFF because you have more space in the case. Make sure it has at least 8GB RAM because there are models with only 4GB. Then find a 240GB SSD or cheap HDD (I just bought my first SSD, it's not like you NEED one to use the PC). 

You can add more upgrades as you save money but these PCs are usable as is. Eventually add a 1060 or RX580/590 when GPU prices go down those will be super affordable 🙂

You can’t add a RX580 or 1060 without swapping the PSU. Think something like a Sandy bridge i5 and adding a cheap GPU is the better move

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

This is the cheapest new build you could go for. It would be ok for general task and very light gaming. The Athlon 3000G can be picked for $49 + shipping at Adorama or $66.99 at B&H so the total would be about $260. As other have mentioned, used is probably the way to go for 200, it doesn't hurt to have options though.

22 hours ago, Downkey said:

You can’t add a RX580 or 1060 without swapping the PSU. Think something like a Sandy bridge i5 and adding a cheap GPU is the better move

True. He could swap the PSU along with getting a GPU though. When prices go down, it shouldn't cost over $50 to get a decent 500-600W PSU. Personally I'd rather take my sweet time to build a decently powerful system than make a full PC that's not going to do as much. 

35 minutes ago, DCCFan said:

When prices go down, it shouldn't cost over $50 to get a decent 500-600W PSU.  

PSU prices are normal currently. I’m willing to bet that they won’t drop...

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

10 hours ago, DCCFan said:

True. He could swap the PSU along with getting a GPU though. When prices go down, it shouldn't cost over $50 to get a decent 500-600W PSU. Personally I'd rather take my sweet time to build a decently powerful system than make a full PC that's not going to do as much. 

He cant swap out the PSU without an adapter,thats going to be a problem.

I would also prefer for him to save money and up his budget to above 300$-preferably 500 or 600.