Can't Access Local Server From Domain But Can From Local IP

GrandNebSmada

I am running a minecraft server on a separate computer in my home and have it setup with No-IP for the dynamic DNS service. I have always been able to connect to the server from my main computer using the domain name I have assigned to it from my local network, but recently I have not been able to and can only connect using the local IP. The issue is not isolated to these two computers either. I can setup a server on a completely separate computer and try to connect the same way from another unique computer and it still doesn't work, which leads me to believe it's an issue with my router settings. I have found people saying to edit my host files but this is not an acceptable method for me and should not be necessary since I have used this setup before in the past and it worked with no issues.

Things I have already tried:

• Verified outside users can connect using the domain name with no issues.
  • Verifying the port forwarding is correct
  • Verified the public IP associated with the domain names is up to date
  • Made sure that my NAT type is appropriate
  • Set the NodeType settings on the computers' network adapters to "hybrid"

I'm really stumped here, any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

If the server is still accessible locally and remotely just that you cannot connect locally using your No-IP domain this issue sounds like NAT Loopback.

NAT Loopback is a feature/setting in the router that allows or disallows a request coming from the LAN to access the WAN interface with a request destined for the LAN.

If you find this in your router and flip it I expect it should work again. If you can't find this setting you may be SOL but it could be something else.

Honestly is connecting with the local IP so bad? If you move the computer around from place to place a lot I could see that being annoying but if it stays at your place this doesn't sound like that big of an issue.

Also bear in mind that NAT Loopback is a hack, it wastes resources on your router to do it (as all traffic to the server goes via the router when on the LAN when normally it would be direct to the server).  I stopped using NAT Lookback a long time ago when I accidentally took out the Internet by downloading a file from my NAS using it, maxing out the router.

A better way to do it if your router supports it is to have a DNS override that changes the no-ip domain name to report the local LAN IP address if accessed from your LAN.

But honestly, its a lot easier to just use the IP address, bookmark it in the game and choose it when on your LAN.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7