First Time SSD Buyer

The_Crawfish
Go to solution Solved by W-L,

I'm not really worried about the speed, but more of reliability and lifetime.  I'm just going to put my OS and maybe a couple games or programs on it.

If I do get the 840 EVO should I go with the desktop kit, or is that unnecessary?

For that data migration that may be useful if you do not already own a USB to HDD interface cable, the kit also comes with a 2.5 bracket and sata cable if you do not already have them on hand. 

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/memory-storage/MZ-7TE250KW

I have an EVO drive of my own in my laptop and defiantly have no complaints with it, you'll never be able to use a HDD again.  :P

Hello everyone,

I am looking to buy a SSD tonight, and have my eyes set on a Samsung 840 EVO.  I was wondering what your guys' experiences with it are like.  And if there are any other recommendations please share!

Also, I am wondering about the data migration software that comes with it.  Is it as easy as they say it is to use it?  And can you pick only certain files to migrate to your SSD?

Thanks.

Honestly its hard to go wrong with any SSD, besides speed the only differentiating factor is the quality of the flash. So one like the Kingston HyperX will last longer than something like Kingston v300 value series. It all comes down to how long you want to use the ssd before upgrading and/or how reliable you want your drive.

Edit: also in the case that it will be taking a heavy load (server boot drive) it would be the best to get something with really good flash. It will be getting hit much worse than a gaming system.

My System Specs: (Short list) i7 4770k, GTX 780, many SSD's, a 2 TB HDD(deceased :( ), Corsair 650D. Full list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/kchriz6097/saved/8dh7YJ

Upgrade Plan: Acquire some Black Noctuas then add 16 or 32GB of 2133MHz memory

It's a great SSD. I would definitely consider the crucial m500 though too as the price has dropped somewhat recently.

Pilates

Mostly this depends on your needs and what you expect from an SSD, the samsung EVO is a very good price to performance drive. If you'll be doing a lot of transfers, editing or hard wear on your SSD and require high reliability something like the Intel 730 or older 530 series are great for that. 

Also the  transferring software for samsung is painless, real easy step by step.

I'm not really worried about the speed, but more of reliability and lifetime.  I'm just going to put my OS and maybe a couple games or programs on it.

If I do get the 840 EVO should I go with the desktop kit, or is that unnecessary?

I just checked on Newegg and looked at the Crucial M500.  Now, it's write speed seems to be a lot slower than the 840 EVO and HyperX.  Would this make much of a difference for my application?  

Also, would it be possible to use the Samsung software to transfer to this drive, or is there other software that can do this?

For that data migration that may be useful if you do not already own a USB to HDD interface cable, the kit also comes with a 2.5 bracket and sata cable if you do not already have them on hand. 

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/memory-storage/MZ-7TE250KW

I have an EVO drive of my own in my laptop and defiantly have no complaints with it, you'll never be able to use a HDD again.  :P

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/memory-cards-hdd-odd/ssd/840-evo/MZ-7TE120KW

The kit was one of the main reasons I was leaning towards the 840.  If I were to go with a different drive I could just find the USB to HDD and bracket online, right?

Get the EVO or the PRO. I don`t like Samsung but they make good ssd`s.

I'm probably going to get the EVO, the PRO is a little too pricey, and it doesn't come with the desktop kit.

The kit was one of the main reasons I was leaning towards the 840.  If I were to go with a different drive I could just find the USB to HDD and bracket online, right?

Yeah those two items you can get them in any computer store or online. 

The Samsung migration software is great and can migrate pretty much everything.

Just about any modern ssd is fine for that.

I just checked on Newegg and looked at the Crucial M500.  Now, it's write speed seems to be a lot slower than the 840 EVO and HyperX.  Would this make much of a difference for my application?  

Also, would it be possible to use the Samsung software to transfer to this drive, or is there other software that can do this?

What makes a system snappy is the random read speed and random access times. For everyday usage, every other spec doesn't make much of a difference.

The Samsung software only works for Samsung drives.

Can't you just plug the drives in via sata?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Yeah those two items you can get them in any computer store or online. 

That's what I thought, but I'm also worried about the software.  Is there other software out there that is comparable to Samsung's?

I have one and it is really snappy. Everything loads instantly. With MSI Fastboot I load up in about 3 seconds and when I log in as soon as I see my desktop I can click on something and that'll just launch without any delay. Also the software is very good.

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

That's what I thought, but I'm also worried about the software.  Is there other software out there that is comparable to Samsung's?

I haven't used other software's personally but most manufacture's have pretty good migration software since it's not super sophisticated to copy one drive to another. 

I have one and it is really snappy. Everything loads instantly. With MSI Fastboot I load up in about 3 seconds and when I log in as soon as I see my desktop I can click on something and that'll just launch without any delay. Also the software is very good.

Okay, thanks for the input.

I really think that I'll go with the 840.  Everyone seems to have good luck with it, and the software seems to be simple.

I'd like to thank everyone for helping me with my choice, I really appreciate it!