YouTube has added the ability to give 7 days notice for a DMCA takedown

Master Disaster
1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

I mean, they're not arbitrarily doing that - they're offering it as a choice when you file your claim.

I mean that they did this with (as far as I know) no changes to the law and no reference for how long they can actually delay this other than the limit they (seemingly arbitrarily) set at one week.

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Unless there's some law in the DMCA specifically regarding this, they probably CAN get into legal trouble if they make the "wrong" decision, and a claimant decides to take them to court over it.

as far as I know if the claimant insists they must take the defendant to court and youtube no longer has any say in what happens.

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I'm not super well read on this subject, but according to @Master Disaster, they legally cannot do that. Once a claim has been filed, the DMCA requires you to take it down as soon as possible - for YouTube, "as soon as possible" is "immediately" given the way their system works and their capabilities.

I suppose, but again, they seemingly can already choose to remove a claim if they want to so they could hypothetically choose not to file it unless the claimant insists on taking the defendant to court.

4 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

You should lobby the US Government to make changes.

If only I could :old-sad:

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*