Is there any way that a bad monitor could break a GPU?

seban
Go to solution Solved by Eigenvektor,

Technically it is possible. The monitor would have to fail in such a way that too much current flows through the display cable into the GPU. This can then damage its circuits. I'd assume this is very unlikely in practice.

Basically, if a TV monitor for ex. breaks while the computer is on, can it also break the GPU? I suppose this isnt really possible, but this question was stuck in my head for a long time now...

Thank you..

hi, im renata bliss and am ur freestyle dance teacher

Not unless the damage is so catastrophic that it fries a display output gpu-side. But I don't think I've ever heard of that happening. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

Technically it is possible. The monitor would have to fail in such a way that too much current flows through the display cable into the GPU. This can then damage its circuits. I'd assume this is very unlikely in practice.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

1 minute ago, bellabichon said:

Not unless the damage is so catastrophic that it fries a display output gpu-side. But I don't think I've ever heard of that happening. 

Thank you

1 minute ago, Eigenvektor said:

Thanks guys!