Quote shows previous name of account

The_russian
Go to solution Solved by Spotty,
10 minutes ago, Someone who might or might not be The_russian said:

What did you expect to happen?

The quote to show the new name.

The quote is just text in someone else's reply. Changing username won't update the content of other people's posts.

Browser, version and OS: 

Probably doesn't matter but Safari Version 14.0.3 (16610.4.3.1.4), Mac OS Big Sur Version 11.2 (20D64)

Steps to reproduce/what were you doing before it happened?

Was using forum search function to check if a certain question has already been asked, opened a thread. 

What happened?

There is a quote from a user that has since changed their name, the original post shows the new name, but the quote still shows the old name. 

Link to a page where it happened, if applicable: 

Original post is the second post in the thread, quote with old name is the fourth post.

Screenshots of the issue, if applicable: 

594728197_ScreenShot2021-03-16at10_47_58PM.thumb.png.3f1e4e5d91a2cff6af311683adbd0748.png

10 minutes ago, Someone who might or might not be The_russian said:

The quote is just text in someone else's reply. Changing username won't update the content of other people's posts.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Is it? When you click on the name it takes you to the user's profile, but if you click somewhere else on the quote it just collapses or expands the quote, so the name is differentiated from the rest of the text in the quote heading.

For example if I click here:

979328320_ScreenShot2021-03-16at11_06_16PM.thumb.png.0c5d3bb81618925be9c657951e308ef6.png

The quote collapses. If I hover over the name however:

1296516738_ScreenShot2021-03-16at11_06_09PM.thumb.png.5c25a8b2b6be863ee09e98e27904fffc.png

A popup comes up with the user's profile, or if I click on the name the user's full profile page opens up. Basically a long way of saying it doesn't look like the name is just plain text, but if that is the expected behavior then it's not a big deal, it did confuse me for a bit though. 

10 minutes ago, Shroud said:

Is it? When you click on the name it takes you to the user's profile, but if you click somewhere else on the quote it just collapses or expands the quote, so the name is differentiated from the rest of the text in the quote heading.

Yes, I'm sure.

The header for a quote contains a timestamp from the original post, the username of the user with the user ID to link to their profile, and a link to the original quoted post. This information is stored in the post (of the person replying/quoting). Look at the quote box in my posts here for example.

The same thing also happens when you tag someone. If you tag their old username the name will remain showing as the old username but clicking it will go to their profile.

For the forum to update usernames in old posts when a user changes their name, it would mean the forum would have to go through and edit every single post where that user had been quoted or tagged and change it.

10 minutes ago, The_russian said:

popup comes up with the user's profile, or if I click on the name the user's full profile page opens up. Basically a long way of saying it doesn't look like the name is just plain text, but if that is the expected behavior then it's not a big deal, it did confuse me for a bit though. 

That's based on the user ID#, not the username. Because the user ID# never changes clicking on or hovering over a tag or quote tag will always work regardless if they change their username.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

7 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Yes, I'm sure.

The header for a quote contains a timestamp from the original post, the username of the user with the user ID to link to their profile, and a link to the original quoted post. This information is stored in the post. Look at the quote box in my posts here for example.

The same thing also happens when you tag someone. If you tag their old username the name will remain showing as the old username but clicking it will go to their profile.

For the forum to update usernames in old posts when a user changes their name, it would mean the forum would have to go through and edit every single post where that user had been quoted or tagged and change it.

Got it, guess it will just be one of those things I'll have to live with then, not that it is that big of a deal anyways. Thanks for explaining that. 

2 hours ago, The_russian said:

Got it, guess it will just be one of those things I'll have to live with then, not that it is that big of a deal anyways. Thanks for explaining that. 

Same goes with mentions. They are also just text strings within post. So there are older threads with broken mentions because the system has changed at least twice.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv