USB3 port on mobo not working after Win10 crash

JZStudios

I was transferring stuff over from a hard drive to a new system when Win10 crashed and on reboots it no longer shows up in device manager. It lights up thumb drives so it's getting power but no data signal. Not really sure what to do.

#Muricaparrotgang

Windows 10 native drivers should handle usb 3 fine did you install any specific driver ?

Can you remove and try again

or you could just try linux live usb to check if the slot physically works and it is a windows issue

9 minutes ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

Likely a driver issue, do you know how to remove and reinstall drivers? 

So on initial install the port worked, but was slow. The driver fixed it. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver and it seemed to work as the thumb drive opened before it rebooted and then didn't show again.

2 minutes ago, Berk70 said:

Windows 10 native drivers should handle usb 3 fine did you install any specific driver ?

Can you remove and try again

or you could just try linux live usb to check if the slot physically works and it is a windows issue

It's an old Win7 mobo. Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-990FXA-UD3-rev-40/support#support-dl-driver-usb30 Having the driver installed or uninstalled on a fresh reboot the port doesn't work either way now.

Dunno what that is, but unless the crash physically destroyed the ports/controller I don't think it's the ports.

#Muricaparrotgang

I can do a bios update to a newer version, but I'm kind of averse to it and I don't know that it would help.

#Muricaparrotgang

2 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

So on initial install the port worked, but was slow. The driver fixed it. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver and it seemed to work as the thumb drive opened before it rebooted and then didn't show again.

It's an old Win7 mobo. Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-990FXA-UD3-rev-40/support#support-dl-driver-usb30 Having the driver installed or uninstalled on a fresh reboot the port doesn't work either way now.

Dunno what that is, but unless the crash physically destroyed the ports/controller I don't think it's the ports.

Assume that via usb driver malfunctioned than other via usb ports should have trouble as well

maybe it is a windows device issue every time you plug in anything into usb windows sets it up you could go into device manager and see a lot of hidden items in there maybe that usb got set up incorrectly on that port try another device to test the port

or just try a linux to see if the port works or is it damaged

Just now, JZStudios said:

I can do a bios update to a newer version, but I'm kind of averse to it and I don't know that it would help.

If you do it just use a different port to update bios prefably a usb 2 port or a port that is directly controlled by motherboard rather than a usb controller like via

1 minute ago, Berk70 said:

Assume that via usb driver malfunctioned than other via usb ports should have trouble as well

maybe it is a windows device issue every time you plug in anything into usb windows sets it up you could go into device manager and see a lot of hidden items in there maybe that usb got set up incorrectly on that port try another device to test the port

or just try a linux to see if the port works or is it damaged

If you do it just use a different port to update bios prefably a usb 2 port or a port that is directly controlled by motherboard rather than a usb controller like via

The USB driver is only for USB3. All the other ports work fine.

Test it how? Nothing in device manager shows usb 3 ports.

#Muricaparrotgang

29 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

its highly unlikely a driver has caused physical damage, are you just uninstalling the driver through device manager? Or are you using a utility? 

try to boot into the broken port if the live usb runs it is a windows issue if you can not see it in bios too it is broken

11 minutes ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

its highly unlikely a driver has caused physical damage, are you just uninstalling the driver through device manager? Or are you using a utility? 

I was just uninstalling through control panel. I did a bios update and it seems to be working again for now, even after a reboot. Don't understand what the hell the problem was though.

#Muricaparrotgang

1 minute ago, JZStudios said:

I was just uninstalling through control panel. I did a bios update and it seems to be working again for now, even after a reboot. Don't understand what the hell the problem was though.

Possibly just the BIOS/ Driver version you were using being incompatible with one another. 

2 hours ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

Possibly just the BIOS/ Driver version you were using being incompatible with one another. 

Pretty sure it was the same driver I was using before. Either way, after a period of time it stopped working again. I did a Win7/10 dual boot on it a while ago and didn't have this issue so I don't understand what the problem is.

I could see it being a driver issue for not working, but having it stricken from device manager seems very weird to me and attempting to reinstall the driver usually tells me the driver can't find the hardware.

#Muricaparrotgang

So now in addition to the USB 3 hub not working again, the hard drive I had plugged into it keeps disconnecting and crashing. I'm going to be pretty annoyed if our 7tb hard drive is fucked because Win10 crashed when it was transferring files.

#Muricaparrotgang