Laptop is unfixable, need urgent help please

Yqmxh

I'm gonna try and explain this in the shortest way possible.

Cousins laptop entered BSOD after I restarted it, the uptime was incredible. He mentioned restarting it does that and it turns back to normal if I keep turning it on and off again continuously, didn't work. His not that experienced with computers so he just does random shit hoping it works. Its an HP laptop and the screen is cracked, cant see anything on the left half of screen so he uses an external monitor. I've tried to use the external monitor to navigate through the recovery screen but the laptop just doesn't connect to it unless I'm on the lock screen. So I navigate blindly and I've gotten into cmd a couple of times. I've tried commands to repair system files and bcdedit fixboot commands but nothing works. He isn't keen on me resetting it completely. I do a restart to see if the commands work but the laptop starts up with automatic repair and goes into a blue screen and said there is a problem. It isn't the BSOD screen its the recovery screen where I'm meant to access CMD, and all those options. Thing is I used to be able to access it until it decided to stop working, now I cannot access the recovery screen now which is just absurd.

I've tried countless methods but to no avail unfortunately. I've tried:

• Bcdedit Commands (No access to CMD now)
  • Accessing Safe mode (When I tried, it just turned off and took me back to the recovery screen which makes me think there is no hope left as safe mode always works with my problems. Also no access to it anymore)
  • Shutting the laptop lid while turning it on at the same time so the computer can attempt to connect to the external monitor (Didn't work)
  • Accessing Bios to boot from a USB with windows 10 installed. (Laptop doesn't detect USB for some reason but other laptops did. I can barely see anything in bios since cracked screen, only the description for the options)

I don't wanna get the screen fixed for him as the laptop is 5 years old and he only uses it for minecraft. He doesn't care if I factory reset at this point, he just wants it to work again. I just need an option to reset it somehow as the situation is looking awful.

Please anyone help this is looking impossible to fix. If anyone needs info or pictures just ask!

Cheers

If the screen is cracked I am going to assume that the laptop was dropped at some point. (If this is not the case do let me know) Anytime a laptop is dropped it is a crap shoot as to what may or may not break.

Since the laptop is 5 years old I am going to assume it has a mechanical hard drive or HDD.

Based on the description that you can no longer access Windows and that the laptop was dropped at one point, and that the laptop was almost never turned off. I am going to say that the HDD has died or is dying. Early on when an HDD is failing you will see slow performance in Windows and constant high disk usage. When a HDD is further along going bad you will hear a clicking or scratching noise as the HDD operates. Eventually the HDD will either no longer be able to spin or the platter(The thing the data is written to) is so destroyed that the HDD will no longer function.

A quick test to see if the HDD is still at least spinning is to physically feel the laptop where the HDD is located and see if you feel any vibrations. No vibrations means that the HDD is not spinning. In this case it most likely means that it is dead.

So, if the HDD is dead, to fix the laptop you will need to install a new drive either an HDD or SSD and then re-install Windows.

However, as I mentioned before when a laptop is dropped any number of things can break. So while it may be true that the HDD has died something else may have also have broken(as mentioned USB) however, without being able to boot into Windows or properly see the BIOS screen it will be hard to tell.

SIDE NOTE: Since the laptop is 5 years old, the odds that you can find a replacement screen for the laptop on eBay for ~50USD is pretty good. If he plans to keep the laptop for more than a year and you can get it working again, might be worth the investment.

13 minutes ago, BecauseRussia said:

If the screen is cracked I am going to assume that the laptop was dropped at some point. (If this is not the case do let me know) Anytime a laptop is dropped it is a crap shoot as to what may or may not break.

Since the laptop is 5 years old I am going to assume it has a mechanical hard drive or HDD.

Based on the description that you can no longer access Windows and that the laptop was dropped at one point, and that the laptop was almost never turned off. I am going to say that the HDD has died or is dying. Early on when an HDD is failing you will see slow performance in Windows and constant high disk usage. When a HDD is further along going bad you will hear a clicking or scratching noise as the HDD operates. Eventually the HDD will either no longer be able to spin or the platter(The thing the data is written to) is so destroyed that the HDD will no longer function.

A quick test to see if the HDD is still at least spinning is to physically feel the laptop where the HDD is located and see if you feel any vibrations. No vibrations means that the HDD is not spinning. In this case it most likely means that it is dead.

So, if the HDD is dead, to fix the laptop you will need to install a new drive either an HDD or SSD and then re-install Windows.

However, as I mentioned before when a laptop is dropped any number of things can break. So while it may be true that the HDD has died something else may have also have broken(as mentioned USB) however, without being able to boot into Windows or properly see the BIOS screen it will be hard to tell.

SIDE NOTE: Since the laptop is 5 years old, the odds that you can find a replacement screen for the laptop on eBay for ~50USD is pretty good. If he plans to keep the laptop for more than a year and you can get it working again, might be worth the investment.

He punched the screen lol, I find it pretty hilarious. The HDD is fine, but its very slow considering its 5 years old and only until recently he has been leaving his computer on due to this issue. He also had some windows updated pending so that's a part of the reason I restarted it. He hasn't done a reset in the past 4 years so I can imagine many corrupt files and viruses he may have accumulated during the years. My bad for not putting this information in.

Cheers

Accidental comment, dont know how to delete

Take out the HDD, back it up, get a new one (SSD), install windows.

Go to ebay, get a new screen and install it.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

33 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Take out the HDD, back it up, get a new one (SSD), install windows.

Go to ebay, get a new screen and install it.

I have a spare laptop that I don’t use. It’s also 5 years old but it doesn’t work because the ram is busted. I’m gonna try and take the HDD out of that one and put it into my pc. Then I’ll try to wipe it, and install a fresh version of windows. After that I’ll open his laptop and I’ll put the HDD into his laptop. Will it startup flawlessly into a new windows or will I need to do any tweaking or any other steps?

cheers

If there's no other component that broke, i think that can fix it.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w