GIMP - How do I place an image into a selected area?

See image attached:

I selected an area in GIMP and I want to place an image inside of it to make it seem like the astronaut is looking at that picture. Is this possible?

I'm using GIMP 2.10.8 on a Raspberry Pi 400 by the way.

2021-03-09-070146_1680x1050_scrot.png

Edited by TTV BigRecoiilz

1. make a new layer

2. use the paint bucket to fill in the selection (this is a temporary, just to 'save' the selection, make sure paint bucket is set to "full selection")

image.png.1b0107647ed12fa39c877e00c1a077ff.png

3. import the picture you want there (either by dragging it into the program from explorer, or making a new layer and pasting it in your canvas)

4. place the image how you want it (i.e. the size, location, etc.)

5. select the area again (by selecting the shape on the  new layer you made in step 2 with the magic wand tool)

6. Make sure you're on the "picture to put on the moon" layer and go to Layer > Crop to selection

there are alternatives, like using layer modes, but that's the easiest thing to do.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

13 minutes ago, minibois said:

1. make a new layer

2. use the paint bucket to fill in the selection (this is a temporary, just to 'save' the selection, make sure paint bucket is set to "full selection")

image.png.1b0107647ed12fa39c877e00c1a077ff.png

3. import the picture you want there (either by dragging it into the program from explorer, or making a new layer and pasting it in your canvas)

4. place the image how you want it (i.e. the size, location, etc.)

5. select the area again (by selecting that new layer you made in step 2)

6. Make sure you're on the "picture to put on the moon" layer and go to Layer > Crop to selection

there are alternatives, like using layer modes, but that's the easiest thing to do.

Thanks. Also, you see the ladder on the right side? Can I put the image behind it or do I need a better software for that?

1 minute ago, TTV BigRecoiilz said:

Thanks. Also, you see the ladder on the right side? Can I put the image behind it or do I need a better software for that?

You can use the same tactic as mention above:

1. import a picture

2. select and area where you want the picture

3. Layer > crop to selection

It just kind of depeneds on what you want to exactly achieve and how you want it to look.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, minibois said:

You can use the same tactic as mention above:

1. import a picture

2. select and area where you want the picture

3. Layer > crop to selection

It just kind of depeneds on what you want to exactly achieve and how you want it to look.

Ah thanks