Will my 80+ Gold PSU from 2020 need a pure sine wave UPS V.S. a simulated sine wave one?

FluorescentGreen5
Go to solution Solved by Guest,
23 minutes ago, FluorescentGreen5 said:

My PC draws around 450 W in an absolute worst case scenario, however, that value could break 500 when I consider overclocking (I'm using a Ryzen 5 3600). I'd say 5 minutes is plenty to save my work or hibernate my system and I don't plan on actually using my system on battery. Since I live in Australia, my options for UPSes are kinda limited and finding any 600 W UPS for under 200 AUD is a pain let alone a pure sine wave one.

You don't need pure sine wave.

Only super cheap PSUs with antiquated technology shut down when not on a pure sine wave.

I'm currently shopping for a 600 W UPS that's compatible with Australian plugs. Currently, the CyberPower BRIC-LCD 1000VA/600W selling for 179 AUD seems to be the best deal. However, I've heard nightmares about modern PSUs straight up turning off the moment they run on battery power due to not supporting anything other than pure sine wave. Is this something I have to worry about? Keep in mind I only need the UPS to last long enough to give me time to hibernate my PC or save my work and safely shutdown, or to last me through a 1-2 blackout.

Additional Info:

14 minutes ago, FluorescentGreen5 said:

Will my 80+ Gold PSU from 2020 need a pure sine wave UPS V.S. a simulated sine wave one?

No, you do not need pure sine wave.

Pure sine wave is the best option but comes with a much higher price tag.  You should get a ups that is rated high enough for your anticipated load plus a little for startup. 

How much does your monitor and computer draw in a high usage scenario and how long do you need it to run? 

Just now, Heliian said:

Pure sine wave is the best option but comes with a much higher price tag.  You should get a ups that is rated high enough for your anticipated load plus a little for startup. 

How much does your monitor and computer draw in a high usage scenario and how long do you need it to run? 

My PC draws around 450 W in an absolute worst case scenario, however, that value could break 500 when I consider overclocking (I'm using a Ryzen 5 3600). I'd say 5 minutes is plenty to save my work or hibernate my system and I don't plan on actually using my system on battery. Since I live in Australia, my options for UPSes are kinda limited and finding any 600 W UPS for under 200 AUD is a pain let alone a pure sine wave one.

23 minutes ago, FluorescentGreen5 said:

Only super cheap PSUs with antiquated technology shut down when not on a pure sine wave.

26 minutes ago, FluorescentGreen5 said:

finding any 600 W UPS for under 200 AUD is a pain let alone a pure sine wave one.

Yeah. Anything 600W+ for under 200 AUD is going to be garbage.  Might want to up the budget.

15 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

I had a feeling this would be the case. It would've been a bit baffling if the higher end ones couldn't handle it. Thanks!