3060 and performance

Jeger

Hello everyone, 

I recently had the oppertunity to buy a 3060 and so i did. I have been playing some games but noticed that its struggling to go over 60fps and can dip to around 30fps. I have the very new drivers and i have set the nvidia controlpanel to performance mode. My gpu and cpu sometimes both hit 50% at the same time at a temp of 50-60 which i would say is cool. Im not good with the term bottlenecking and "bound". But i think my cpu and maybe ram could be better.

Im changing resolution and quality on my games but that does not seem to do much. GTA 4 get lowest 40fps. Cyberpunk the only rtx title i have hits 60 with dlss and Star wars jedi: fallen order can dip to 30. on average every big title ive played is at around 60 but no more. Is my gpu not getting the correct amount of power? I would like to know if i can reach 100fps and reduce fps drops. I have this new card and it doesnt feel like i got any fun new power. 

Here are my specs and userbenchmark score: 

Graphics card: GeForce RTX 3060 VISION OC 12G
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
CPU cooling: NZXT Kraken M22 RGB
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H - mATX
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16GB DDR4 2133MHz
Case: Fractal Design Focus G Mini
PSU: Corsair PowerSupply CX750M 750W
Harddrive: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Nvme M.2 SSD: Kingston A2000 500GB

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/40697951

Sounds like a CPU bottleneck in my opinion, some games use more CPU, some don't, which would explain some games run okay compared to others. 

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600x - GPU - XFX RX 5700xt Thicc iii - RAM - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200 8gb x 4 -

PSU - Corsair 750rm Gold - MOBO - Aorus b450 Pro - CASE - NZXT h510 Elite - AIO - NZXT Kraken x63 280mm

DISPLAY - HKC 34" 1440p 100hz Ultrawide & Samsung 27" Overhead. 

It could be indeed your CX750M power supply. Do you have the green label one? If so, I would suggest to replace it, since it's in Tier C.

Your RTX 3060 could be having a too high power draw/power spike which the PSU can't handle, limiting the performance. The Ryzen 5 1600 should be an okay pair with the 3060 after all. See if you can borrow a friend's PSU that's higher of quality to see if that's your problem.

43 minutes ago, Jeger said:

Hello everyone, 

I recently had the oppertunity to buy a 3060 and so i did. I have been playing some games but noticed that its struggling to go over 60fps and can dip to around 30fps. I have the very new drivers and i have set the nvidia controlpanel to performance mode. My gpu and cpu sometimes both hit 50% at the same time at a temp of 50-60 which i would say is cool. Im not good with the term bottlenecking and "bound". But i think my cpu and maybe ram could be better.

Im changing resolution and quality on my games but that does not seem to do much. GTA 4 get lowest 40fps. Cyberpunk the only rtx title i have hits 60 with dlss and Star wars jedi: fallen order can dip to 30. on average every big title ive played is at around 60 but no more. Is my gpu not getting the correct amount of power? I would like to know if i can reach 100fps and reduce fps drops. I have this new card and it doesnt feel like i got any fun new power. 

Here are my specs and userbenchmark score: 

Graphics card: GeForce RTX 3060 VISION OC 12G
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
CPU cooling: NZXT Kraken M22 RGB
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H - mATX
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16GB DDR4 2133MHz
Case: Fractal Design Focus G Mini
PSU: Corsair PowerSupply CX750M 750W
Harddrive: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Nvme M.2 SSD: Kingston A2000 500GB

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/40697951

cpu is very underpowerful for ur gpu. I would get at least a 3600

my signiture was cool, but its a lie now

I have the Corsair CXM V2 (2017), the newer modell so i think im good there. I checked my wattage of pc to around 346W. So yeah i also suspected that i needed a new cpu. Ive been looking at a Ryzen 5 3600 with 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200Mhz. Would this stabalize the system? Get higher fps and higher GPU % ussage? I know every program uses gpu and cpu diffrent amounts. Just saying in an ideal situation where GPU is the main bound. Would be something like 40% CPU and 80-90% GPU?

Your ram speed is 2133!! Enough said. That’s a large bottleneck for data throughput, also your cpu is also going to be bottlenecking your gpu , even more so because of your ram speed. Ryzen CPU’s benefit from from dual channel memory with speeds around 3200-3733 which is the infinity fabrics max memory speed. 

The ram speed determines how fast information is parsed from the storage, through the ram into the cpu and to the gpu. So it’s important. 

Every piece of hardware in your system should be thought of like a link in a Bicycle chain the weakest link will determine how strong the chain is. Your ram is a weak link.  Cpu can and will do better with better ram. 

is your ram actually a kit of 2133 or is it running at 2133 due to not being configure correctly in the bios. 

I know ryzen doesn’t seem to like xmp settings so you often have to specify the ram speed with the “memory try it” option. 

if your ram says itl do 3200/3600/3000 then try it at 2933 and do stability tests until it starts becoming unstable. At that point dial the frequency back.  

another thing to consider is if your system cpu resources or ram are being taxed by other applications I.e windows update, mining apps, malware etc. 

In fact I  just checked your userbenchmark stats 

Corsair-Vengeance-LPX-2x.jpg

Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 C15 2x8GB-£78
2 of 4 slots used
16GB DIMM DDR4 clocked @ 2133 MHz

Performing below potential (39th percentile) - ensure that a dual+ channel XMP BIOS profile is enabled: How to enable XMP  

configure it properly in bios and try running your games then. 

And as for gpu performance 

• NVIDIA G-SYNC can cap benchmark fps/score to the monitor's refresh rate. (Disable G-SYNC/VSYNC or any other frame capping technologies)
  • High background utilization can reduce the GPU score performance  close any other applications that might be using the GPU.
  • Frame capturing/monitoring software can prevent the GPU from performing  at full potential . Disable FRAPS, Afterburner, etc.

Hello, Thank you very much for your reply!

Yes its 2133Mhz. I have in the past turned off all background activity apps. And ive known about xmp since before. But until today completly forgot to set it on! I did put it on earlier today and nothing changed. Just now restarted my pc with xmp profile 1 set at 3000Mhz. And GTA 4 Runs at over 120fps highest settings!!! Thank you for reminding me! I just unclogged an artery in my PC. 😄

Haha, happy days glad it’s helped improve performance. 

how was it performing pre xmp what FPS were you getting. 

I work building pcs and repairing them for a living with over 12years experience and always find ram to be a big bottleneck in high end systems and low end systems. 

even on a sandybridge 2500k, using 2133 ddr 3 yields more FPS than 1600mhz, easily 20-30 FPS so it is important. 

really glad it’s helped out. 
keep on eye on system stability as ryzen is really fussy with xmp and can crash an reset back to default spd timings meaning itl go back to 2133 so keep an eye on that. 

Gta 4 was at lowest 40fps and changing settings didnt do anything major, now highest settings 120fps. cyberpunk dlss ultra performance, no raytracing, high settings is on pretty concistant 60-70fps. Starwars jedi: fallen order, stuck at 60 dipping to 30fps. Now concistant 70-80 fps, max 120fps in interiors. All games i think were played on 3440x1440 at 100Hz. Also i did actually go out to buy a Ryzen 5 3600 with 3200Mhz ram. Since im worried about stabillity with ram at 2133 xmp to 3000. 

just think that will last me longer. I havent gotten the parts yet so if you think its a waste tell me. I just think i might aswell do it now to make it future proof. 

Wrong cpu, simply.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

• 1 month later...
On 3/9/2021 at 1:28 PM, Mark Kaine said:

Wrong cpu, simply.

no, ram was running at default 2133, ryzen has had issues running ram at xmp profiles. 

his ram was not set with xmp in the bios.