Microsoft Exchange Servers Hack - White House Warns Of Active Threat.

Distinctly Average

Summary

The US is expressing growing concern over a hack on Microsoft's Exchange email software that the tech company has blamed on China.

Quotes

"This is an active threat," White House press secretary Jen Psaki said on Friday. "Everyone running these servers - government, private sector, academia - needs to act now to patch them."

Microsoft said hackers had used its mail server to attack their targets.

It is reported that tens of thousands of US organisations may be impacted. 

The US has long accused the Chinese government of cyber-espionage, something Beijing denies.

Ms Psaki told reporters that the White House was "concerned that there are a large number of victims" and said the vulnerabilities found in Microsoft's servers "could have far reaching impacts".

On Saturday, the US National Security Council said it was "essential that any organisation with a vulnerable server take immediate measures" to determine if they had been targeted.

My thoughts

It was bound to happen sooner or later. For whatever reasons the asshole hackers do it, whether for fame, political gain, money or just plain trouble making, no target is safe. It has yet it be seen how far this has spread as the article only mentions the US. However, if it is as big as it seems it will certainly have an effect on large companies worldwide. The company I work for have already begun investigations on our European systems.

At least 30,000 MS Exchange customers have been affected, including small and large companies, towns and cities etc. The finger ha been pointed at China by M$ but they deny it is a government attack. It will certainly be interesting to see how this one plays out.

Sources

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56304379 

I believe this has already been posted in this thread:

At the time the thread was posted it wasn't known how widespread the exploitation was, but it did get updated with the new info. 

9 minutes ago, The_russian said:

I believe this has already been posted in this thread:

At the time the thread was posted it wasn't known how widespread the exploitation was, but it did get updated with the new info. 

Missed that one.